Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep transfer case help (again)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fimotorsports
did you check the output shafts and axles?
The shop did; they said everything was fine. The noise sounds like its coming from inside the t-case, but Shep can't think of anything it could be since there wasn't any debris found when the inspection cover was removed. I might just end up sending it back to Shep to see if he can find anything inside that's wrong.
Old May 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Its impossible to diagnose noise problems without being able to hear them. But here is a tip. You only changed one thing on the car. The t-case. So here are the likely three problems.

The install: it is possible to damage the input splines during install. There are two sets of splines that have to line up. very easy to damage the second set during install. Some spline chips could be grinding away in there. could also be a problem with front axles. but that would be a pretty huge blunder. really hard to make a mistake there but possible.

The LSD diff which is new to the picture. If the LSD is broken it could make noise. If it is broken it missed the eyes of both myself and sheps team. Which is impossible. maybe the shop did a test run with hard launch? even if diff did get broken on a launch it would only make noise when turning.

An error of some sort was made during rebuild. Shep trans is not infallible. local here bought one of his trannies here. the tranny had a pretty good whine to it. Of course John was called about the noise and it was suggested it very unlikely the trans is making the noise. Turns out a local dealer here diagnosed the noise as a t-case. A new 4000$ t-case was installed and the exact same noise was there. I was then called to the dealer to drive the car. It was definitely a tranny noise. I didnt follow up on who had to eat the 4000 tcase. They cant be returned once installed.

And of course it could be a noise not coming from t-case. How can we help when we cant even hear it? Completely the installers fault.

good luck with this but sounds like you dont have a choice but to send t-case back to shep for inspection.
Old May 20, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MyEvoRocksUrv8
The shop owner actually said to drive the car a lot over the weekend and see if it gets better....which I thought too that it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it at all. anyone have more suggestions?
I would put my money on the install as being the problem with this comment.