Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep transfer case help (again)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shep transfer case help (again)

Okay, so I got my car back from the shop with my new Shep Stage 2 rebuild on my t-case. The shop used Redline Heavy Shockproof which is what Shep recommended. So I start to drive away....and then I notice this loud rumbling noise. I take it back to the shop, shop owner drives it...says "LSD's tend to be noisy sometimes" Well, this noise is pretty freakin loud so I think somethings not right. The shop owner was going to call John at Shep, but they were already closed and won't be able to get ahold of them until Monday. The more I accelerate, the louder the noise gets. It's not like a whine noise, it sounds like a metal rumbling kind of noise, and I can feel it vibrating when my foot's on the petal. Does anyone know what this might be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old May 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

maybe you're exhaust is rattling against some metal somewhere. it do it on decel also? Is it a constant noise or just a sparratic noise?
Old May 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it does it on decel too, all gears too. I don't think it could be the exhaust rattling because all that was done was the t-case was pulled and put back in, but I'll check it just to be sure. Thanks
Old May 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

dont drive the car.....take it back to the shop.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'd pull the plug and look for metal shavings. It should be pretty obvious with brand new fluid. Either that or wait for the shop to do it for you.

Last edited by KenMasters; May 16, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
dont drive the car.....take it back to the shop.

The shop owner actually said to drive the car a lot over the weekend and see if it gets better....which I thought too that it wouldn't be a good idea to drive it at all. anyone have more suggestions?
Old May 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talk with Shep before you drive it. Not knocking your mechanic/shop, but if there is a noise, driving it isn't going to get it to go away mysteriously. Kind of like the people who keep revving up the motor to see if the rough idle goes away LOL.... Shep is a stand up guy and will work with you on any issues.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
for what its worth, i have the mitsu LSD in my TRE stg 2 transfer case and it makes no additional noise
Old May 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
for what its worth, i have the mitsu LSD in my TRE stg 2 transfer case and it makes no additional noise
hmm...that's what I was lookin for. I didn't think an LSD should make any more noise. Thanks for the post. Could it be making that rumbling noise because the shop didn't fill it up with enough gear oil? (it kinda sounds like something is loose and is being thrown around or something of that sort) TTT for someone who might be able to diagnose my issue.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
check your axles and your output shafts
Old May 17, 2008, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

I replied to your email but I would look at the downpipe where it comes close to the cross bar. I have seen some downpipes require spacers to drop the bar down and they could have been lost. The noise you are hearing does not sound like a transfer case noise. The lsd will not make noise unless it is a clutch type and only when turning for the most part.
Old May 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Jshepherd, I just replied back to your e-mail. I took my car back to the shop and when it was on the lift, there was a loud noise like something is being thrown around in the transfer case. Has anyone ever experienced this?

P.S. Thanks to shep for having awesome customer service!
Old May 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

ttt.....Jshepherd said he's never heard anything like this, but I figure it's worth a shot to see if anyone on here has had this problem. When it was on the lift, it sounded like something was loose and being thrown around inside the t-case. The shop said nothing was rubbing and everything looked the way it should be.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

bump....the shop took off the inspection cover and didn't find anything wrong; the shop owner is out of town until Friday so he kind of just left me hanging without my daily driver and isn't really making an effort to help me. Really need some help on this with any possible suggestions
Old May 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you check the output shafts and axles?

Quick Reply: Shep transfer case help (again)