Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High hp but low torque on stock turbo set ups? Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High hp but low torque on stock turbo set ups? Why?

Sup yall. I live in Atlanta, GA and I have many friends that have evo's ranging from 03 to 06 and from stock turbo to 35r+. Here there are only a few shops that have AWD dynos and that work on evo's. I understand that all dynos are different. I also understand that every car is different. Furthermore i understand that every tuner is different. What does boggle me is that when my friends dynoed their cars when they were full bolt-on, stock turbo, their hp numbers were high 360's to low 370's on pump but the tq was like 317-330. I see all the time of threads from people from other shops and parts of the country that yeild much higher tq numbers sometimes in the 350's and 360's. All with typically the same mods. I am aiming for 370-ish hp on pump but i want to have a higher tq number like 350 or 360. Is this unreasonable? I know it cant be because too crazy because i just read a thread in this section where a guy made 378/367 on pump, 23-24psi, 2003 evo with an ix turbo.

Here are my mods: ETS UICP, LICP, 3.5" FMIC, RECIRC PIPE, INTAKE, EVO9 BOV, EVO9 TURBO, MEGAN EX MANIOLD, MEGAN O2 HOUSING, MEGAN 3" DOWN PIPE, MEGAN TEST PIPE, HKS CARBON-TI EXHAUST, HALLMAN MBC, WALBORO 255LPH.

i havent purchased cams yet BUT by the time i get tuned i will have either BC280's, HKS 272's, or GSC S2's. Im hoping that i can hit the numbers without porting the intake manifold and 65mm throttle body but i will do it if i have too.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting good torque numbers relates directly to the parts you run. I think your 'Megan EX manifold, testpipe,and catback' are going to bring your torque figures down some.

I made 344 whp & 351 ft/lbs on Buschur Racings dyno last year with the stock IX turbo. With my 20g-lt I expect my torque numbers to be much higher then my horsepower when I dyno this Friday.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
Getting good torque numbers relates directly to the parts you run. I think your 'Megan EX manifold, testpipe,and catback' are going to bring your torque figures down some.

I made 344 whp & 351 ft/lbs on Buschur Racings dyno last year with the stock IX turbo. With my 20g-lt I expect my torque numbers to be much higher then my horsepower when I dyno this Friday.
thanks for the info and nice numbers! i got the manifold new for 100 so i figured it was better than the stocker. I can see your point on the manifold, but i dont understand why you say that the Megan 3" test pipe, and HKS Carbon-Ti will bring my tq numbers down?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have the megan mani, and tbe. Stock cams and 9.8 turbo I made 287/293 on pump and 24psi. I don't think I'm losing a whole of torque from the mani, and shouldn't either. Might be a bit, nut nothing I'd go changing the rest of the set up for. Cams could also make a difference, I'm sure your friends run al kinds of set ups
Old May 20, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Boost.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

To be honest TQ #'s are somewhat meaning less on stock turbo IMO.. alot of the dyno sheets with high #'s or low #'s depends on where the dyno operator steps on the car.. if you step on it real low rpm itll shoot up in TQ but it falls straight down anyway.. if you leave off the line at 6k rpm on 2 step youll never see that 360 or whatever tq on your dyno sheet in any gear.. so IMO the peak # is meaningless on a stock turbo car that doesnt hold tq..
Old May 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I think it just varies from car to car to be honest. Some cars seem to make great torque numbers while other lag in the torque department. I was lucky enough to get the best of both worlds on my stock turbo setup. I had one of the highest horsepowers and I think the highest torque on pump gas ever or close to it. I was running 24.5+ psi with an even higher spike and my peak timing was around 19*
Old May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
thanks for the info and nice numbers! i got the manifold new for 100 so i figured it was better than the stocker. I can see your point on the manifold, but i dont understand why you say that the Megan 3" test pipe, and HKS Carbon-Ti will bring my tq numbers down?
Out of the two I see the testpipe holding back some torque. The catback is good and will show gains over the stock OEM system but their are other systems out there that will make you more power and weight less.

This is just my opinion and I am not bashing on the parts you have. Good luck on the dyno!
Old May 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah my wtq was only a little bit lower then my whp with my mods peak hp 6700rpms and power curve is pretty flat from 3500rpms 7800rpms
Old May 20, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Boost makes torque. Also some parts will sacrifice torque but make more hp. For instance if I put a ported manifold on my car I would be 36?/36?
Old May 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I think a lot of people would agree that tuning our cars is a lot easier up top than they are at peak torque. Maybe their tune is very conservative in the peak torque area to prevent knock.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
Well the Megan Testpipe maybe because it's resonated? I can understand how that would rob hp/trq but not much. Your HKS Carbon I'm pretty sure necks down at the cat (like their other system). That's where that one would be robbing something.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
Boost.
+2, my dyno graph on the torque about matched my boost graph, more boost, more torque. 30lbs of boost on stock turbo IX was over 400 ft lbs on Mustang Dyno
Old May 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

A Forge WGA would definetly help the situation...
Old May 20, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all of the feedback tall. I'm almost 100% positive that they were all tuned on 23psi. I may try the forged upgraded actuator. I just asked my friend that put down the highest up for his tq number and it was 317! Btw his up was 369. I agree with all of the comments but 317 is low especially considering that he sold the car to another member on this forum that got the car retuned in Florida and is now aiming for a 10sec car with the same set up. I think when he retuned it he made 400 on race gas with a high tq number. I will look for his thread.

Quick Reply: High hp but low torque on stock turbo set ups? Why?