Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone using Greddy Ti-C?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some manufacturers would "taper", or reduce the size of the piping at the cat to better bolt up. This causes a restriction reducing power potential. A lot of the "JDM" manufacturers used to do this. Obviously you want something that is a full 3" all the way through from cat flange to tip for power production. Otherwise you just have a sound amplifier that looks cool.

So does the new Greddy exhausts still taper?

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 22, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFAIK all greddy exhausts neckdown to 2.5" where it bolts to the cat.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Please stop spreading the rumors of Taper robbing power. If someone can show me a dyno graph of identical exahaust, with one having the small taper at the cat, and show a significant drop in power I will shut my mouth... but the "power" robbing effects are so small it's not worth mentioning.

Yes, straight and true 3" is the absolute best, but the difference in my opinon is so small it's not even worth bringing up in a discussion.

I know there are a lots of people, that in IMO have wasted there time and money to cut out the small taper and weld in 3"... ask them if it maid a significant difference?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the greddy ti-c is 80mm then it tapers to 76mm to bolt on to any 3'' down pipe.....thats what I was told.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by teamsprock
Please stop spreading the rumors of Taper robbing power. If someone can show me a dyno graph of identical exahaust, with one having the small taper at the cat, and show a significant drop in power I will shut my mouth... but the "power" robbing effects are so small it's not worth mentioning.

Yes, straight and true 3" is the absolute best, but the difference in my opinon is so small it's not even worth bringing up in a discussion.

I know there are a lots of people, that in IMO have wasted there time and money to cut out the small taper and weld in 3"... ask them if it maid a significant difference?
You do the search... this was quashed a LONG time ago along with the 2.5" vs. 3" downpipe crap. The full 3" system made more power on the dyno front to back with a stock turbo from a 2003 or 2004. Any tapers will choke down the power. If you're the kind of Evo owner who only runs a catback and a "filter", sure there would be no problem.

Next thing you know there is going to be some idiot telling people "some back pressure is good..." Garrett quashed that too a LONG time ago.

HOWEVER, all I asked was are the Greddy's still tapered at the cat... guess so, yes?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
Account Disabled

Yes, still does. Like most "JDM" exhaust do. Which is why I didn't get one.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

have it on my wrx and it sounds good
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
You do the search... this was quashed a LONG time ago along with the 2.5" vs. 3" downpipe crap. The full 3" system made more power on the dyno front to back with a stock turbo from a 2003 or 2004. Any tapers will choke down the power. If you're the kind of Evo owner who only runs a catback and a "filter", sure there would be no problem.

Next thing you know there is going to be some idiot telling people "some back pressure is good..." Garrett quashed that too a LONG time ago.

HOWEVER, all I asked was are the Greddy's still tapered at the cat... guess so, yes?
Yes, it does taper...

And yes I have done the research and as I mentioned, as well as you did, there are power gains, but in most cases (the catback filter and guy you mentioned) it's a wash. Maybe I make 300hp with a tapered exhaust and you make 311hp with your non-tapered exhasut.... it all depends on what you are willing to pay for, and what you expect to get in return.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

the more power you make the bigger the restriction becomes. but hey whatever floats your boat, at least you can say its 'jdm yo'!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

Buy American for your Japanese car.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dino21
the greddy is 80mm,right?doesent it matter that the pipin on evo is 76mm??
im going to order greddy ti c too.but on not 100% sure..

why don't you het a stainless downpipe + the whole pipe done at the shop in Modra as I told you - and just buy the muffler if you insist in something titanium polished ??
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by teamsprock
Yes, it does taper...

And yes I have done the research and as I mentioned, as well as you did, there are power gains, but in most cases (the catback filter and guy you mentioned) it's a wash. Maybe I make 300hp with a tapered exhaust and you make 311hp with your non-tapered exhasut.... it all depends on what you are willing to pay for, and what you expect to get in return.
Now that's much better, and not so misleading to the readership as the other post. Anyone trying to make more power than that are going to be fighting the losing battle in the tune from the rising pressure at the hotside. Timing numbers will not be impressive. Then again, the higher output "exhausts" I used to build had to expel 25000 lbs of thrust and were completely unrelated, so what the hell would I know

Back to the Greddy...

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 24, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am one of those guys that will spend the extra money to get the 2.5in piece cut out. Buy Vibrant 3in SS flange, source some 304SS, then pay I good welder $50-60. Makes it a $600 exhaust...my Works is too damn quiet even with a testpipe, almost sounds stock
Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo828
why don't you het a stainless downpipe + the whole pipe done at the shop in Modra as I told you - and just buy the muffler if you insist in something titanium polished ??
hahaha ja ze jaka modra jak som cital..and than i found out that thats you evo828
thats crazy,,,im just asking,,,not big deal. ))
Old Oct 25, 2008, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Very good exahust!! Nice and deep. And best of all you can talk while driving down the Hwy.... lol

Quick Reply: Anyone using Greddy Ti-C?