Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Push Type Clutch VS. Pull Type Clutch.........(which is better for 500whp+)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reviving dead thread. Really need some good advice on this. I just got myself a Evo 8 5speed tranny and am in the market for a clutch.

Looking for something to hold nearly about 530+ torque

thanks
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A bunch of us are having this problem now, not so much push vs pull...but what clutch can hold 530tq yet still be streetable(specifically on a daily driver.) There arent many out there.

If streetability isnt an issue, QM Twin disc all the way. Shep talked me out of a QM for the fact that its unsprung and is absolutely not a good choice for street driving. The discs will wear quicker on street driving and the engagement on the QM clutches is very unforgiving, anything under 2000rpm, the car will buck hard or stall. 2000+rpm is needed to get moving, but this will cause the discs to wear prematurely, as they arent designed for the street. A quick slip at a 6000rpm launch is less harsh than over-slipping it out at 2300rpm to get the car moving.

I know the QM will be right for the power Im making, but I drive 3,000 miles a month so Id be doing a rebuild roughly every 3-6 months since the QM's have been shown to last anywhere from 10,000mi to 20,000 mi. Thatd drive me insane haha.

Also, there are those who will say you dont need a pedal stop, but on a push type clutch theyre a nice bit of insurance. Overstroking the pedal will lead to a nice bunch of problems, specifically spline wear.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
A bunch of us are having this problem now, not so much push vs pull...but what clutch can hold 530tq yet still be streetable(specifically on a daily driver.) There arent many out there.

If streetability isnt an issue, QM Twin disc all the way. Shep talked me out of a QM for the fact that its unsprung and is absolutely not a good choice for street driving. The discs will wear quicker on street driving and the engagement on the QM clutches is very unforgiving, anything under 2000rpm, the car will buck hard or stall. 2000+rpm is needed to get moving, but this will cause the discs to wear prematurely, as they arent designed for the street. A quick slip at a 6000rpm launch is less harsh than over-slipping it out at 2300rpm to get the car moving.

I know the QM will be right for the power Im making, but I drive 3,000 miles a month so Id be doing a rebuild roughly every 3-6 months since the QM's have been shown to last anywhere from 10,000mi to 20,000 mi. Thatd drive me insane haha.

Also, there are those who will say you dont need a pedal stop, but on a push type clutch theyre a nice bit of insurance. Overstroking the pedal will lead to a nice bunch of problems, specifically spline wear.
A lot of us are still in search of the magic "all-around clutch" for the hp/tq levels discussed

Just as you said i love the performance of the QM at the drag strip but it can be bit too much for DD'ing especially in the SF Bay Area.

Almost as if we need an Exedy Twin XD

That w/ a push conversion would be my ideal clutch
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:00 PM

Why don't you guys try the Orc twin plate clutch or the Carbonetics triple plate clutch, I have used both these clutches on my 2.3 FP black evo 9 and it is very street able and can handle over 600awhp no problem....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nspyr
Why don't you guys try the Orc twin plate clutch or the Carbonetics triple plate clutch, I have used both these clutches on my 2.3 FP black evo 9 and it is very street able and can handle over 600awhp no problem....
I purchased the 'race' or 'hd' version of the carbonetics twin, was told it should hold my goal of ~550-600 wtq fine. Should be going in next month with my built 5spd, of course it will still be a while until there is dry pavement but I'll keep you posted.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
i dont see why more people dont use the Quartermaster hydralic release bearing with Exedy twin plate or OS Giken clutches etc, it should be easy to adapt.

You can buy exedy "push" diaphragm plates for about $300usd
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by nspyr
Yeh I've been using the orc twin plate and its lasted me 42000ks now and thats included something like fifteen track days. A but noisy bt great clutch. I'm at 600hp wit 700ft/lb on dyno dynamics
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:22 AM

I have been using my Orc twin plate clutch for quiet a while now and no problems, but I have also just bought the Carbonetics triple plate clutch from maperformance as back up... Will let u know how that is when I use it later....
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_q8
reviving dead thread. Really need some good advice on this. I just got myself a Evo 8 5speed tranny and am in the market for a clutch.

Looking for something to hold nearly about 530+ torque

thanks
IMO an Exedy triple push type is the best all around clutch for a track/street driven high HP Evo. If you have a track only car, I'd go with a QM or Tilton. I got an Exedy triple push type in great condition for sale if you're interested.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have a os giken twin disc in my car with the push type conversion and I'm currently having problems launching. It might just be tune related but I'm debating on switching clutches because I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by The-Evo
I have a os giken twin disc in my car with the push type conversion and I'm currently having problems launching. It might just be tune related but I'm debating on switching clutches because I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?
Can you describe the issue you are having?