Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review

Well I took a leap of faith and I'm extremely happy with my decision thus far. I was still on the stock clutch with the power in my sig. There have been nay sayers that wouldn't believe me but I can post pics of the clutch that came out if need be. Believe it or not I hadn't had much of an issue with the stock clutch but I knew the end was near so I started researching clutches. I heard of this clutch that came out last month and it sounded like the best of many worlds. I could not find anyone else running this exact setup so I was a bit skeptical but there were so many advertised advantages to it that it sounded almost too good to be true. So far that's not the case!!

If you want to know the specific advantages of this clutch you can go straight to the Carbonetic site or I believe Vivid Racing has a good description of it on their site. Also I am in no way affiliated with either of these companies. I purchased this on my own straight from Carbonetics and feel it's my duty to let everybody here know what an awesome clutch this is!!!

I decided to purchase the 1600kg pressure plate with the kit for increased holding capacity. This is the Pro kit which is different than the standard blade clutch kit. It came very nicely packaged with EVERYTHING you need to install aside from fluids. Pressure plate, single carbon disc, flywheel, TOB and a pull to push conversion kit. This clutch is so light I can hardly believe it. My mechanic didn't believe me when I handed him the box that I had given him everything. It's about 11lbs lighter (disc,fly and PP) than the stock unit. Power holding capacity isn't completely clear yet but it's been known to hold over 500whp.

I am still trying to baby it a bit as I really want to make sure it's broken in properly before I hammer on it but OH MY.... so far so very good!! It is BUTTER smooooooth!! Grabs with serious authority. Easy to modulate in traffic. Pedal is stiff but not too bad. It's something I can totally live with and I have some pretty serious knee problems and this is my daily driver. IF what is claimed by Carbonetics is true such as the power holding and longevity of this clutch I will be beside myself happy and would say this is the ultimate street clutch for most of us.

A big thanks goes to Kiyo at Carbonetics for his awesome customer service. He was always quick to respond and very very informative. Never once tried to give me a line of BS or try to sell me on something I didn't have a use for. Also a super huge thanks to a new shop in the area called Autotechnica. Everybody there made me feel very comfortable and content that the job was being done right. Now on to the BIG pics.
Name:  S7000299.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.6 KB
Name:  S7000302.jpg
Size:  117.2 KB
Name:  S7000307.jpg
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  S7000311-1.jpg
Size:  95.1 KB
To summarize I feel this is a moderately priced option for those that want the advantages of a carbon clutch with the cost closer to a single disc organic clutch. I may have left out some details so feel free to ask. Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Price?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good! I'm sure that clutch will be put to the test in the next few months.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sho669
Looks good! I'm sure that clutch will be put to the test in the next few months.
Indeed it will my friend. Price for the whole kit retails around $1300. You might call Carbonetics directly for up to date pricing. Keep in mind that this includes the flywheel as well as the equipment for the pull to push conversion.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:47 PM

Subscribed

Nice to hear that you like it. Please keep us posted with your impressions as you continue using it.

Best regards,
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Pics of the pull to push ?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Pics of the pull to push ?
Nope. That's about the only thing I didn't get a pic of. If you want to see a diagram of it you could find it on their website. Basically the slave cylinder is flipped 180 degrees and a rectangular frame type object placed around it to provide a connection between the two. My description is rather laymen so I would check their site for a better description.

I am so happy with this clutch it's pathetic. Of course the true test will be a good series of launches or a demanding track day but it's so freakin easy to drive it ridiculous. I will keep you all posted as time goes by to see how she does.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Thought for awhile about this one. Looking forward to see how it holds up. Went with a twin Exedy HD instead as I am looking at higher WTQ numbers. Thanks for the post and keep us informed. Not many good "streetable" options out there.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whtrice
Thought for awhile about this one. Looking forward to see how it holds up. Went with a twin Exedy HD instead as I am looking at higher WTQ numbers. Thanks for the post and keep us informed. Not many good "streetable" options out there.
Whtrice some friends of mine are friends with friends of yours. LOL. Some guys that work at shops down off Fulton. Or so they say.... Anyhow only time will tell. The 1350kg plate has been tested to just over 500 whp so this 1600kg plate should up that a bit. I'll try to keep up with this thread as much as possible. My tech over at the shop it was installed at should post up some pics at some point of the install and the pull to push conversion.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to ring in on the same note, clutch is butter smooth.
Drivability is great and the fatigue factor is non existent, you could drive this all day in traffic and not get tired of it.
But we all know you bought this book for the big shiny pictures so...

A gift real special so take off the top
Take a look inside it's a clutch kit in a box.
It's in a box

All the components that came with the kit, clutch/flywheel assy, pull throw bracket for the slave cylinder and the throwout bearing push conversion piece.
According to the paperwork it uses a toyota supra throwout bearing... so now ya got a little yota in yur evo haha

Assembly laid apart, pressure plate, friction disk and flywheel. This setup really is surprisingly lightweight, the whole flywheel clutch combo feels like it weighs just a little more than the stock flywheel.

Stock on right light on left

Original "pull" type throwout setup

New "push" type setup. One thing I didn't like was that Carbonetics specifies the removal of the felt pads and return springs from the throwout arm, which caused me to worry about possible rattles. I am sure Carbonetics has tested this setup to death and for sure when assembled it was a non issue, quiet as a mouse. Notice also per Carbonetics throwout fork is flipped from stock.

New push and old pull throwout setups.

Pull

push, no more screwdriver in the hole trick.

Slave cylinder bracket. You have to take the slave cylinder and reverse the supply and bleed fittings as well as machine down the position the bleeder fitting is going into as the boss is too tall so the bleeder won't seat properly causing a slight leak and fluid loss/ bleed down. Then the slave is mounted on the transmission facing the opposite direction from it's stock configuration. the slave pushes that bracket which in turn pulls the throwout fork which then pushes the fingers on the pressure plate disengaging the clutch.... rocket science.
I neglected to get a picture of it installed, which I shall rectify this week hopefully.

It looks like it means business...

Last edited by autotechnica; Mar 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oooo that's a pretty lookin clutch
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'll add that the pedal pressure is very close to stock with this setup. Deff a much lighter pedal than the exedy twin hd or the rre no name kit I've had in my car.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

You guys at Autotechnica are a class act. I'm gonna let that post tell the rest of the story cuz I could not have come close to what you posted here. Thanks so much!!!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think that for a more informative review - that you start reporting torque numbers, not hp. HP is irrelevant when it comes to a clutch.

Just an FYI...
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
I think that for a more informative review - that you start reporting torque numbers, not hp. HP is irrelevant when it comes to a clutch.

Just an FYI...
Just an FYI..... I wasn't reporting squat. I'm still breaking it in. Of course clutches are rated with torque I was relaying the only information I've been given. The purpose of this review was an initial assessment not an in depth first hand final review. I will be sure to let everybody know how it holds up to the power I make.

I went back and read the information that the Carbonetics rep and I had discussed on their site. This clutch SO FAR has been tested to 650nm of flywheel torque aka 480ft lbs at the flywheel. Again this is what I've been told it's been tested to. Not that it began slipping at this level. Only time will tell and I will be sure to keep everybody posted.

I also want to add that one of the many reasons I bought this clutch is that the pressure plate rating was up there with the ACT extreme plate and carbon discs, from what I understand, handle heat build up a bit better than organic discs. This has led me to believe that it should have similar torque capacity to the ACT XTSS but with the smooth characteristics of a carbon disc. FWIW! I could be wrong.

Last edited by 4xforce; Mar 30, 2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Add torque info

Quick Reply: Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review