Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: What do you think about only 300 degrees of rotation
That is awesome
46.15%
Don't really see the value in it
38.46%
Don't have much experience with MBCs
23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

New Synapse MBC: Looking for pre-market feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Synapse MBC: Looking for pre-market feedback

Synapse Engineering is in the final stages of developing our own Manual Boost Controller. EvoM has always had some quality input, so we are going to leak the design to this community to get some feedback on the main functionality before we go full production.

Here are the features of what we will be calling the Radian MBC:

1) Maximum 300 degree rotation from minimum to maximum boost

This is so that you can always look at the MBC and know where your setting currently is. You can actually run minimum boost and click your way to max boost predictably, in-cabin.

2) 20 clicks from min to max boost at 0.5 to 2 psi increments depending on spring

3) Fine center adjustment that allows you to either dial in your max boost, and then click lower. Or, dial in min boost and click up to your max.

4) This unit is designed to be run in-cabin and will come with a billet mounting bracket that you can install.

These are the main functions that we're looking to get market feedback on to see, especially, if #1 above is something everyone finds valuable. There's nothing worse than turning your MBC 5 turns and never knowing where you are, so you never can really run a min and max on the fly.

Here are some early pics installed on an VIII:

Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I like it personally. I think the design is nice but I wouldnt have it so out in the open right there. Also it only be one rotation min to max is nice also. Is the two allan looking bolts the the two different boost settings buttons ?

I run a HKS EVC at the moment but I have been having some problems with it. If I cant get my problem worked out maybe Ill have to look into this one.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not too sure about the incabin mount using that length of line.

But the rest of the ideas are awesome.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

that looks horrible mounted in the cabin lol what to we drive hondas?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Looks kinda big. Is it gonna be painted or look just like that? I'm not too crazy about the mounting either.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Seems like its going to be a nice product. But I'd put it at a less visible location. Possibly in the glove compartment or under the steering wheel area.

What sort of price range are we looking at for this setup?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Is the two allan looking bolts the the two different boost settings buttons ?
The 2 allen keys are for locking the fine setting and locking the 300 deg rotation, if you want to. There are a total of 4 allens at this time, and the others are for the ball bearing races.

There are a total of 20 clicks/settings spaced at 0.5 psi apart or more depending on the spring used.

Please don't mind the aesthetics, including the brass fittings, these are purely prototype and straight off the CNC. The finish is sand blasted. It is a little long right now and I think that it can shrink a little. But the main point is that you can quickly get your hand on it to make adjustments without slipping, and the part that sticks out tells you, visually, where you're at for adjustment, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, etc.

It is in the cabin with over 25 foot of hose round trip. This is for the sake of testing. Whether it is 5 foot or 25 foot of hose, it hasn't made a difference in performance at all. This can be used in-cabin.

You can put it wherever you want, under the dash, in place of the ashtray, cupholder, etc. Don't get too caught up in the placement of our test unit, you can mount it wherever you want when you get one.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are plenty of great MBC out there. I'm wouldn't even consider buying another one (currently own a Hallman) unless the boost didn't taper, and boost didn't change with weather temperatures (about 1-2psi more boost in the winter than summer)
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I'm wouldn't even consider buying another one (currently own a Hallman) unless the boost didn't taper, and boost didn't change with weather temperatures (about 1-2psi more boost in the winter than summer)
90% of the way to understanding that problem and 80% to a solution.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i think the hallman with the in-cabin adjustment is still better

that thing is just too big
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am up for a new MBC. My Dejon Tool MBC has reached its limit of usefulness, and it no longer does what I require of it. Since I run extreme levels of WG preload and a fairly low peakboost level, I have the Dejon turned all the way out and the adjustment screw is almost totally backed out from the MBC body. In fact, I think there are just one or two threads keeping the adjustment screw from falling out of the boost controller body completely. So, depending on price, I'd be willing to try the Synapse unit.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justboosted02
i think the hallman with the in-cabin adjustment is still better

that thing is just too big
Great product, but let me ask you this question: Say you're on a road course and heading for a sector where you want more boost. Are you going to be able to count the turns on your Hallman or any other MBC for that matter (on the fly) to get you to that same boost pressure, lap after lap?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Synapse
It is in the cabin with over 25 foot of hose round trip. This is for the sake of testing. Whether it is 5 foot or 25 foot of hose, it hasn't made a difference in performance at all. This can be used in-cabin.
Typically, the long hose length leads to boost spiking due to the time delay of the airflow traversing the length of hose.

I'm interested in how you deal with the weather related changes in boost pressure.

Best method I've found is to simply make sure it is sourced post intercooler. This alone will keep the boost usually within a PSI regardless of temperature. Mind you, I live in Utah. It was snowing last week at 6000' and the next day it was 95 degrees. Not to mention I also get to deal with dramatic elevation changes of roughly 5000' by driving up a canyon that's 10 minutes away.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't want to fool anyone into thinking that an MBC outperforms an electronic boost controller. Ball and spring work great and spools the turbo faster than a pure bleed valve. But it simply cannot work such that it keeps all actuating pressure away from the WGA until 1/2 psi of boost before your target. I think that a good CLOSED-LOOP EBC will outperform an MBC any day of the week. However, the EBCs that simply spit out a duty cycle and don't have the intelligence to keep adding/removing duty to maintain a target are not any better than a good MBC.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Typically, the long hose length leads to boost spiking due to the time delay of the airflow traversing the length of hose.
I haven't seen the problem in actuation due to long hose length. The type of hose that we look to provide for the MBC should eliminate much of the time to travel issue for the signal, as well as signal attenuation of the pneumatic signal.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I'm interested in how you deal with the weather related changes in boost pressure.
Altitude and changes in baro all come down to issues rooted in changes in charge density. I'm close to a full understanding and a solution to the problem.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Synapse
Great product, but let me ask you this question: Say you're on a road course and heading for a sector where you want more boost. Are you going to be able to count the turns on your Hallman or any other MBC for that matter (on the fly) to get you to that same boost pressure, lap after lap?
yes and no,

ive had a hallman for a bit now and i can reliably and reproducibly increase boost a set amount by turning it in increments of a 1/4 turn

however a positive system like you have would be better

Quick Reply: New Synapse MBC: Looking for pre-market feedback