Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

damage to intercooler... Can it be repaired???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damage to intercooler... Can it be repaired???

I kinda hit something while at a rallyx... the question is can this be fixed? See attached pic. I initially took it off because the inlet of the intercooler was kinda pinched. I made the inlet round again and then noticed this ding...

I was going to get it put back on before i get tuned for E85... Not sure if thats going to happen now.
Attached Thumbnails damage to intercooler... Can it be repaired???-snv30823-small.jpg  
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bzzbee2
I kinda hit something while at a rallyx... the question is can this be fixed? See attached pic. I initially took it off because the inlet of the intercooler was kinda pinched. I made the inlet round again and then noticed this ding...

I was going to get it put back on before i get tuned for E85... Not sure if thats going to happen now.
that looks like an easy fix... just patch it!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

yea the damage does not look bad at all, thats def an easy fix, but maybe time to upgrade?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pressure test it by sealing off one end and using a boost leak tester on the other to listen for air. If there are no leaks then try to straight out the fins and boost on!

Just FYI the original ebay intercoolers didnt have brackets and I didnt think i'd end up keeping it so i just zip tied it on for the timing being until i saved up some money for a nicer unit instead of welding some brackets on. Turned out i really liked it and just stuck with it... Eventually i went big turbo and blew off a licp for the first time with it on and it snapped the zip ties. I was going around 120-130 on a log and it dropped to the floor and just dragged on the ground. I pressure tested it and it was 110% okay... Intercoolers are made to withstand a little abuse.

Cheers!

Last edited by 4WS Tuning; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

It was the pressure test that led me to discover the damage. It leaks pretty good. wont hold 3psi. What exactly do i patch it with? Ductape? JB Weld? Elmer's Glue? I can see where it has separated and air is coming out.

This is my upgraded intercooler. (bigger intercooler...Bigger Target) Its a Buschur Deluxe.... This intercooler has been around for a while. Its one of the older ones. It worked great before the end pipes got smashed. Now im back on the stocker..

Last edited by bzzbee2; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Contact 9sec9, I think he has a BR delux for sale, that one is done.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jul 3, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
take it to someone who can weld aluminum and have them put a patch over it
Old Jul 3, 2008, 05:55 AM
SME
Evolved Member

If your leaking you might just want to upgrade now
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Damn all you need is a small tig bead across it an boom 10 dollars later its fixed.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

I guess i will try a radiator shop and see if they can weld this thing up.

Other than that im starting to notice all other sorts of things that i should probably replace before i get E85 tune... I got some lifter tick... Called the place that installed the cams and they indicated that lifters were not bled, did a boost leak test on the rest of the system found my recirculating valve to be leaking pretty heavily... Throttle body leaking.

Thankfully i have the shaft seals and am ready to replace those, Will be calling Groupe-S to get the MR recirculating valve today... ($99.00)

Just need to figure out what to do about the lifter tick. I suppose i open it up again bleed them, and change the timing belt, add headstuds... So i need to spend about 500 just to get ready for the tune which will happen on the 12th.

But, the car was recently waxed... So i got that going for me!

Last edited by bzzbee2; Jul 3, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

If you try to weld it, it will destroy the fins inside the bar and those around it. Also the inside of the bar is coated with a sealer. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bzzbee2
It was the pressure test that led me to discover the damage. It leaks pretty good. wont hold 3psi. What exactly do i patch it with? Ductape? JB Weld? Elmer's Glue? I can see where it has separated and air is coming out.

This is my upgraded intercooler. (bigger intercooler...Bigger Target) Its a Buschur Deluxe.... This intercooler has been around for a while. Its one of the older ones. It worked great before the end pipes got smashed. Now im back on the stocker..
Damn.... Might be time for the race core then =-)
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

I cant go to big.... It will just get taken out again by a pile of dirt, log, rock.... take your pick. There are several road weapons out there that are constantly taking shots at me. Im working on getting some beefy suspension that will give me a inch or so lift for when im doing some crazy dumb off roading with the dirty impreza crew.

Also, Thanks everyone for the input.

Note... The stock setup of this car was not intended for jumping, however, if you should find yourself in the air.... Dont worry, the car holds up pretty good! LOL

Last edited by bzzbee2; Jul 3, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Indy Evo
If you try to weld it, it will destroy the fins inside the bar and those around it. Also the inside of the bar is coated with a sealer. Just my 2 cents.
seems a little silly to spend $800 for 1-3% more efficiency that he would get with a new cooler over his repaired old one
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, if i upgrade it will be to a used one. Spending a lot of money just to destroy it after a couple drives just does not fit the constraints of my pocketbook. Im not looking to do the ebay thing either.

Im thinking weld it up, spend the extra money for my suspension/smallbrake/small wheel (15")fund...

Quick Reply: damage to intercooler... Can it be repaired???