Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

first engine mods??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first engine mods??

hey i dont know if this has been posted before, it probably has, but searched and couldnt find anything that fit what i needed to know.

so anyway i dont own an evo yet, but im looking for one and hopefully will have one within a month.
im not trying to make some straight line monster, and i dont want to spend a ton. what i want when its all done is like 320-350 whp. with a really good powerband and as little turbo lag as possible, so no big turbo's or anything.
so anyway what are the first mods i should do? im guessing full exhaust, ecu, intake, to start since thats pretty much the norm for any car. but since that obviously wont be enough, what next? i was thinking maybe a new quicker spooling turbo.

its hard cause i came from a b5 s4 and with just a 500 dollar ecu you get 70 hp, and around 100 lb ft. of torque, then gutted pre cats, which didnt cost me anything, so i was beating my friends sti with ecu, pulleys, full exhaust, intake, and intercooler. and all i spent was 500 bucks to go from noticibly slower than a stock sti, to faster than a well modded one.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Full Exhaust, downpipe, 02 housing, test pipe, intake, hard intercooler piping, Boost controller, cams, and definitely a tune! That should get you somewhere near the beggining of what you want...an FP Green Turbo which has stock like spool and flows much better and doesnt act like it has asthma will gain even more towards your goal...and an 9 MR BOV or DV...and if you wanna go the route of alternative fuels if they are readily available in your area, try E-85...there is more power to be gained from this fuel than premium, or try meth injection...any way you look at it every motor is different and will respond differently to different setups. so all of the numbers are going to be diferent so you just kind of have to try and see what happens...in the end its the driver that can make the car if you ever take it to the 1/4 mile. Each one of the mods listed have there own ups and downs also and can benefit from other mods...its not easy getting the perfect setup...Good Luck with everything Hope I helped
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Haha almost forgot a fuel pump when you turn up the boost and injectors with the turbo...
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Exhaust, intake, intercooler, and tune will get you around 317hp as it did on mine with stock boost. Anything you add on top of that will put you in the range you wanna be in. Another turbo is not necessary
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddfelix5494
Full Exhaust, downpipe, 02 housing, test pipe, intake, hard intercooler piping, Boost controller, cams, and definitely a tune! That should get you somewhere near the beggining of what you want...an FP Green Turbo which has stock like spool and flows much better and doesnt act like it has asthma will gain even more towards your goal...and an 9 MR BOV or DV...and if you wanna go the route of alternative fuels if they are readily available in your area, try E-85...there is more power to be gained from this fuel than premium, or try meth injection...any way you look at it every motor is different and will respond differently to different setups. so all of the numbers are going to be diferent so you just kind of have to try and see what happens...in the end its the driver that can make the car if you ever take it to the 1/4 mile. Each one of the mods listed have there own ups and downs also and can benefit from other mods...its not easy getting the perfect setup...Good Luck with everything Hope I helped
Good answer (its nice to see someone help with question that has been ask over and over, instead of scalding them about not searching), only thing I disagree with is the 9MR DV...should invest in something like a Forge RS DV, something that can hold more boost than the stock unit.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

3" tbe, intake, FMIC with LICP and UICP, ebay o2 housing, MBC and a tune should be around 330 or above on a IX, add some cams and u should be around 350!
Goodluck

Edit-- and a fuel pump

Last edited by importjake00; Jul 12, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IXmr321
Good answer (its nice to see someone help with question that has been ask over and over, instead of scalding them about not searching), only thing I disagree with is the 9MR DV...should invest in something like a Forge RS DV, something that can hold more boost than the stock unit.
agreed!! go wit the aps bov
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justa4banger
agreed!! go wit the aps bov
No reason to if he gets a IX, VIII, yes.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you didn't find about 1000 other threads - especially in the newbie forum where this belongs - that talked about the basic mods to do on an Evo? Hmmm...

There should be no mention of big turbos or whatever - the stock turbo is good up to 400-ish whp, so you won't have to worry about losing spool. Please just try a little harder to research. The question you asked has been asked literally hundreds of times...
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
So you didn't find about 1000 other threads - especially in the newbie forum where this belongs - that talked about the basic mods to do on an Evo? Hmmm...

There should be no mention of big turbos or whatever - the stock turbo is good up to 400-ish whp, so you won't have to worry about losing spool. Please just try a little harder to research. The question you asked has been asked literally hundreds of times...
Thousands of times.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you need to search...

click the link in my signature and it will tell you everything you need to know

closed...