Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise.......

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing to do is inspect all of your drivetrain even if you have to remove some of them. thats how your going to find the problem.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

i get the same noise on decel, goes away when i depress the clutch and usually only happens when going 60 or above. i figured it was gear lash and thinking it could all just be clutch related.

i run an ACT XTSS with street disc, was thinking of just putting the stock clutch back in to see if the noise goes away.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

hey patrick, check out my vid i just posted. Its of my 06 IX with a tc that is blown 4 SURE.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fwiw- please be patient and wait until almost the end of the vid to hear the loud decel noise and slight whine while in 4th gear....thanks
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

mine do worse on decel, in fifth gear ... it's the clutch .... I have a multidisc carbon plate.

it's pretty normal.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
mine do worse on decel, in fifth gear ... it's the clutch .... I have a multidisc carbon plate.

it's pretty normal.
Ok thanks......please keep the comments coming it's still about half and half saying normal vs abnormal.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Ok thanks......please keep the comments coming it's still about half and half saying normal vs abnormal.
The point is I used to have stock clutch, with no issues or any noise.

The day that I changed to my carbon, the noises starts.
And I have a friend that has an Evo VIII with the same clutch as mine, with the same noise.

The noise makes on decel, most on fifth gear, when the rpm is getting close to 2000, and than it stops ... usually makes in a certain rpm range.

just my 2 ....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The point is I used to have stock clutch, with no issues or any noise.

The day that I changed to my carbon, the noises starts.
And I have a friend that has an Evo VIII with the same clutch as mine, with the same noise.

The noise makes on decel, most on fifth gear, when the rpm is getting close to 2000, and than it stops ... usually makes in a certain rpm range.

just my 2 ....
I hear where you're coming from and by no means am trying to argue your point.

This is what i just pm'd Mike@ AWDMotorsports:

Funny thing is when i first brought the car to the track w/ the ACT clutch and th emotor mounts already in there it didn't make that loud of a noise until 1 run when i got some wheel hop and towards the end of the run on the return road i heard something that sounded like a rock stuck between my brake pad and rotor

The only thing that made it go away was turning the engine off and then back on.

My thinking is maybe i chipped a tooth or piece off the ring/pinion or smething else in the tc and it wasn't until i let everything settle that it found it's way out from between gears etc.

Maybe just really lucky it didn't lock up completely on me and i drained the fluid the next day
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:33 PM

I have the same noise and I have stock clutch and a brand new tranny.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when my tc crapped the bed it would be screaming when driving on the highway @ about 65-75. the sound was similar to urs in the vid. at its worst point (right before i got a new one) the decel noise as i eased of the throttle reminded me of the sound a table saw makes as its cutting wood..the whine noise should be mostly dependent on speed and rpm, not so much on throttle (by this i mean the noise should not go away when you are no longer accelerating). if i remember correct, the noise would emerge at about 3.5-4k rpm (most audible in gears 3 and 4) and then in 5th (or whatever ur final gear is) it would be excessively loud if ur cruising at about 3k rpm (70mph in 5spd) or higher...hope this helps

btw from the first time i noticed the noise (at 25kmi) to when i got a new tc, about 2000mi passed. by the time i hit that 2000 mile mark @ about 27kmi there was no question that it was the tc. the noise was so hideous, even the mitsu mechanics knew what it was. GL
Old Aug 19, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

the return of the death whine
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

what did u do to **** up ur t-case i need to know so i wont **** up mine
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

any updates ???
mine still the same ... and I launch my car at least once a week....

Still holding !!!

for now !
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:06 PM

you can pull the tc apart it ant that hard then unscrew the carrier which is the inner houseing that covers the spider gears and then you can see if the spider gears mybe be burnt out or see if something is warped and rubbing

you can call a rally shop they will help you step by step somtimes how to fix t/c
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
possibly just the clutch ........ Quarter Masters ARE LOUD... friend has one and thats kinda what it sounds like...... its a race clutch lol whats to be expected?!

Quick Reply: Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise.......