Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise.......

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had the Quartermaster installed and I noticed the same noise on my way home after the install.
No noise w/stock clutch.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

mine whines when im on the hwy and i slowly slowing down but still barely have my foot on the gas, if im acc its not that loud but if my foot is barly on the gas its kinda loud....
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

oh and i have the act with street disc..
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Man... I'm glad my Evo doesn't sound like that.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I thought it was common knowledge that the decel noise was completely normal. I have an ACT currently its louder now but the cars did it from the day I got it.

Guess what 100k later same noise no worries its just resonating sound. Now get out there and drive like you stole it
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Man... I'm glad my Evo doesn't sound like that.
Give it time my friend it will
Old Oct 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Since I changed my clutch with Exedy Twin HD, it seems the tranny is more audible. It whines but doesn't look like the TC is bad. But no sound like yours when deceleration.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 06:49 AM

doesnt sound too bad.i have an o5 whith shepracing tranny and t/c got rid of acd put in cusco.thing is loud on accel and decel but sticks like glue and shifts 7k rpm like butter.the acd was better on the street (no noise etc.) but lsds cant be beat for track.if the acd was better all the evo time attack cars would run em.run it hard see if it gets worse.shepracing is the way to go, they have the experience and the price isnt beyond reach.good luck
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the same noise only under-deceleration in 5th and sometime in 4th gear. It gets really bad around 2300 rpm. My dad thinks it might be my Ring Gear wearing down. We're inspecting it tomorrow on the outside of the hardware to make sure all bolts regarding exhaust are tight...its so loud maybe something is rubbing, not sure. Everyone says TC is the problem, but I'd like to know how many actually had this same problem, then replaced the TC, and now the loud grinding noise is gone.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
I get the same noise only under-deceleration in 5th and sometime in 4th gear. It gets really bad around 2300 rpm. My dad thinks it might be my Ring Gear wearing down. We're inspecting it tomorrow on the outside of the hardware to make sure all bolts regarding exhaust are tight...its so loud maybe something is rubbing, not sure. Everyone says TC is the problem, but I'd like to know how many actually had this same problem, then replaced the TC, and now the loud grinding noise is gone.
From my experience and ressearch.......not many

Please do let all of us know what you find!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

hey patrick b that is def the t-case i dont think the ppl that are sayin its normal didnt listen to the whole movie!! i had 2 t-case go bad on me 1 from it being stock and alot of abuse and the other was my own stupid *** fault from puttin this special t- case oil in it and blew it up. Both times my t- case went bad it made that same exact sound in the end of your video. just like shep said its the ring and pinion gear are bad, shep did my t-case i have the stage 2 case with everything cryo treated and now with the right fluid change every 5,000 miles its runnin strong and barely any noise and the noise i do here is from my clutch (carbonetics twin carbon clutch)
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:17 AM

OK- I'm really confused with the searches I've done here including what I'm reading on Shep trans site. Everyone is saying the Transfer case and Ring and Pinion is the problem, so if you want to replace the Ring Gear and Pinion you should send your Transfer Case in for Service? That doesn't make sense to me since the Ring Gear and the Pinion are both loacted in the transmission. The transfer case has nothing to do with it.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
OK- I'm really confused with the searches I've done here including what I'm reading on Shep trans site. Everyone is saying the Transfer case and Ring and Pinion is the problem, so if you want to replace the Ring Gear and Pinion you should send your Transfer Case in for Service? That doesn't make sense to me since the Ring Gear and the Pinion are both loacted in the transmission. The transfer case has nothing to do with it.

no theres a ring and pinion in the transfer case it wears out and causes it to whine theres small bolts that hold it together that come loose and the tolerance's wear and cause it to whine
Old Nov 30, 2008, 03:00 PM

something similar....

I just bought my Evo VIII about 3 months ago and I'm Loving it but I have an issue that after long drives I get a noise similar to the one on the video on this page but not that loud (I would freak if it was that loud) I have notice a small leak coming from the tc seal, but I had all the fluids changed in fear that the previous owner didn't do his homework and since I was told that the previous ower had put a new clutch in... I guess the best way to explain the grumbling noise is similar to a a/c compresor starting to go bad and it only happens when i go for a long drive or rainy (or snowy weather) help???.... please...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by magyar86
mine whines when im on the hwy and i slowly slowing down but still barely have my foot on the gas, if im acc its not that loud but if my foot is barly on the gas its kinda loud....
mine sounds like the last 9 seconds of his video wen my foot is barley on the gas never hd the noise with my stock clutch put a new act extreme have duty single disc on and broke it in for 300 miles did a 3rd to 4th gear pull and now get this noise ?

Quick Reply: Video of (TC) Transfer Case noise.......