Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange wideband behavior

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2008, 05:20 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 1d10t
Wonder if anything may have happened to the flash during the install. Try grounding at the battery, drive, compare. You should log, for easier reading. Take it to ams theyll take care of you.
I can not log with my current setup.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:20 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

anyone watch my video? if so what do you think, normal or not?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That video seems very normal. My aem uego gauge is literally 4" closer to the turbo then yours and when i was on my oem ecu rom i would go pig rich at 10.0 WOT after my TTP flash I see between 11.1-11.5 WOT. Its too bad you cant log cuz you would clear up everything your asking.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:11 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sikrsix
That video seems very normal. My aem uego gauge is literally 4" closer to the turbo then yours and when i was on my oem ecu rom i would go pig rich at 10.0 WOT after my TTP flash I see between 11.1-11.5 WOT. Its too bad you cant log cuz you would clear up everything your asking.
The weird thing was that I was tuned by AMS, and I was set to 11.5 WOT.

I even get pig rich 10.0 when I'm boosting (not that hard) without being WOT.

I haven't done any mods besides those gauges since my tune, my AFR should not have changed. I have the sheet that AMS gave me somewhere, and it says my AFR is 11.5 for open loop.

Is it possible that sensor is too touchy when the car goes richer? Should I try changing the sensor before I take it back to AMS? Maybe they forgot I have a Walbro 255 pump when they tuned me and thats why its rich? I put that on my list of mods when they requested it, I am positive that list was complete.

Last edited by Jp7; Jul 20, 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

From what I was told (i could be wrong) Dont worry about your wideband except for 3 times, Idling (should search for 14.7) cruising (throttle very consistant, not accel or deccel should also hunt for 14.7) and WOT. Dont beat yourself up on weird scenarios. (at 9am at 32mph i saw a deer running in the woods, i glanced at my wideband and it said 13.9, is that normal?)

Do you have a MBC?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:33 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sikrsix
From what I was told (i could be wrong) Dont worry about your wideband except for 3 times, Idling (should search for 14.7) cruising (throttle very consistant, not accel or deccel should also hunt for 14.7) and WOT. Dont beat yourself up on weird scenarios. (at 9am at 32mph i saw a deer running in the woods, i glanced at my wideband and it said 13.9, is that normal?)

Do you have a MBC?
LOL, yeah I have an mbc, see her hiding down in my sig? They set her to 23PSI, and I don't touch it because its for professional tuners only to touch.

But granted, I shouldn't be at 10.0 - This is my first wideband (cant you tell) - I am eventually going to get it set up to log but first I want to solve this problem. When I smash the pedal and look at the gauge I want to see 11.5 or close to that.

I also was going to get the AMS 30R kit and have them do motor work including Cams, headstuds and all appropriate work needed for that bigger turbo: None of that is going to happen until this problem is fixed though.

How come you ask about the MBC? It is set right now exactly the way they set me when I left there.

And last... thats not a very realistic situation. If I saw a deer in the woods I'd grab the wheel with both hands because and have my eyes glued to him to make sure he dosent jump out infront of me. With my luck that would happen. Christ knows my 4-forward facing HID's have saved me plenty of times when it comes to deer. LOL.

Last edited by Jp7; Jul 20, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

I ask because more boost will use more fuel. Hence make it run leaner. I was at 11.1 after swapping out to a much much larger turbo, BR intercooler. I turned the boost down alot, kept doing pulls and adding half a turn of more boost. Im back to 11.5 with zero knock. Once again its very hard to see what is going on with your car as you cant log. The funny part is, if you never hooked up that wideband, you'd be out enjoying your car instead of it making you a wreck. (im the same way. lol I cant tell something is wrong, and over analyze it till im blue in the face.)
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
The weird thing was that I was tuned by AMS, and I was set to 11.5 WOT.

I even get pig rich 10.0 when I'm boosting (not that hard) without being WOT.

I haven't done any mods besides those gauges since my tune, my AFR should not have changed. I have the sheet that AMS gave me somewhere, and it says my AFR is 11.5 for open loop.

Is it possible that sensor is too touchy when the car goes richer? Should I try changing the sensor before I take it back to AMS? Maybe they forgot I have a Walbro 255 pump when they tuned me and thats why its rich? I put that on my list of mods when they requested it, I am positive that list was complete.
Tuning via tailpipe clamp is a POOR WAY to measure AFR. If tuned via tailpipe clamp, it very well may have been tuned with incorrect readings.

Outside of that, leaking boost not making it into the intake manifold will cause it to go rich.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

I have no personal experience with the AutoMeter WB gauge, but I have a lot of experience with many other WB gauges. The issue is that none of the read the same. Super cheap WB gauges are not even close to being accurate.

The biggest problem with gauges is some do not tell the truth. Assuming that your gauge is accurate and trying to chase down an "issue" can end up being a huge waste of time if in the end you find the gauge is giving you false information.

Stop by the shop and we can swap in an AEM WB and see if your gauge is the issue.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

I would never use an autometer anything gauge, let alone something as critical as a wideband reading.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Tuning via tailpipe clamp is a POOR WAY to measure AFR. If tuned via tailpipe clamp, it very well may have been tuned with incorrect readings.
How do you get wideband readings on the dyno? Only tune customers with installed widebands? Install the dyno wideband in the test pipe for every customer?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 03:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by razorlab
How do you get wideband readings on the dyno? Only tune customers with installed widebands? Install the dyno wideband in the test pipe for every customer?
B. Correct. We use upstream readings from downpipe or testpipe only on each and every car.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jp7, looks like everyone is saying the same thing I said to you when you first contacted me via AIM IM, the minute you created this tread.

Wideband reading is different in different atmosphere locations, a pipe sniffer is different than an actual wideband, and Autometer is FTL. I would ditch that POS W/B if I were you. I have an Innnovate XD-16 you can buy off of me. It retails for $399.00+. I will sell you it shipped for $300. PM me, lemme know.

I would get a better gauge and reconfirm your AFR's with your tuner.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Any updates on using this wideband/logging it with evoscan 2.6/7? I just bought the gauge, I really like it lol