Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aem + Anti Lag Launch Control Kills Motor (evo9)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
y an anti-lag setup? are u rallying the thing or something?
Yea I have read so many thread of people messing up there cars using anti-lag.

IMO the tune is the most important thing you will do to your car, so make sure the tuner has a great track record!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

i highly respect every shop and tuner in this forum since they are professionals and i am an amateur hobbyist but me personally when i decide to go AEM i will drive 500 miles (508 to be precise from my house) to go to Buschur himself to tune it...

Its what mentioned before about proven records...
Old Aug 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I know ISP, they put my clutch in.

As far as tuning goes, Brad Brooks is top 5 in the country for AEM. If you haven't heard of him, you need to get from under that rock. He is one of the few people on the east coast with AEM cerification. ISP has a great track record. I'm not going to lie this is the first i heard of them having problems with a car.

But according to your case, maybe he was lazy that day, if your idle wasn't the first thing he did then he wasn't on his game that day. And with out the waiver being signed, you bascially have WARRENTY WORK they should fix the problem in my book. But shops will be shops and make you work to get your money back.

And on a side note is that a mustang dyno or dynojet
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MRfabolous
day 1

hi guys i just got my car tuned at Infinate Speed and Performance isp and brad brooks tuned my HTA 35R Buschur Racing Turbo kit with my aem ems. i was happy with the outcome of the numers my car made on a .63 ar exhaust housing. the car made 453 whp on pump gas and 375 Wtq and made 513 whp and 430 wtq on 110 oct gas. well when we were done tuning the car i was paying inside the office i came outside and started my car and the car would not idle i would hit the gas and the car would choke up and die. i was really mad i payed 800 dollars for 2 maps and i get outside and my car does not even idle WTF. so i get peter the owner out side he could tell i was mad so he called brad. Brad did not want to come back he said he had to goto work and can he fix it tomorrow. i was mad but i said ok. i drove it home did a couple pulls maybe 3 at 3rd gear in my mr 6speed that is it. that evening i took it out to friendlys and a ic cupler popped off so i did not get itto it all evening. i took it home for the night.

day 2

i wake up fix the cupler an dput t bolts on every cupler on the car before i had to got down to beltsville to meet brad. I get there and we find out he never even messed with my idle map that had to do with my mivec so the car would not catch the idle speed and stall out. he was being lazy and said oh it must have been the base map i used. we took my car for a drive since my car was running 12.0 afr on the highway and i was burning so much gas he tunes that. then i asked him about the 2 step anti lag controll he said he will turn it on. so he did and said try it, i liked it but it sounded real harsh on the car. I did not even get on it all the home i had to do about 1:30 mins worth of driving and did not full boost the car once from the time i left the shop to the verizon store to get a new phone. I left the shop at 330 pm and when i got to verizon i 2step anti lag for my buddy for 2 pops. after that the car would not idle i thought i fouled a spark plug because of all the fuel the antilag uses. well i drove it home and and missing only at idle but sounded like all 4 cyls and firing i was thinking very wierd. i got it home for the night and checked my plugs cleaned them put them back in and still the same thing missing at idle and i could hear a tapping in the head i was thinking utoh. so i could not find my compression tester so i bought one today and i got 150 on cyl 1,2,3 and 4th cyl i got like 10 on 0 it was not even registering on my guage. i think my valve is burnt up i am taking my head off and probally takin some legal action against isp for treating me unprofeshional and paying 800 buck for a tune that was not even taking no time to do or set up properly. i talked to a bunch of people that are techs and they said the anti lag launch control needs to be adjusted especially on a evo 9, thanks for reading guys i will have updates as this goes on i am taking off the head and going to take pics hopefully nothing scratched my cyl walls. tell me what you guys think

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes MR Fab. I would advise against touching anything at all on your car, this will only make things worse for you when going back to ISP. They will have an argument to bargain with if you played around with the motor after they tuned it.

Let ISP sort out the problem for you, 06EVOIX SE speaks highly of them especially the tuner. Maybe it wasn't tuned to optimum, it is their tuning so I'd let them fix it.

Good luck with this mate.

Cheers Steve
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 06EVOIX SE
As far as tuning goes, Brad Brooks is top 5 in the country for AEM.
Who are the other 4?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your timing belt skipped some teeth and you bent some valves. Check your timing.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Who are the other 4?
the people who own AEM lol, but there are not a lot of 100% certified AEM tuners
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the people who own AEM lol, but there are not a lot of 100% certified AEM tuners
Uh?

Martin @ AMS. Dave Buschur. Sean Ivey. Nick Karanikas from DTM. All of them are much better than Brad Brooks.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JordanS4
Uh?

Martin @ AMS. Dave Buschur. Sean Ivey. Nick Karanikas from DTM. All of them are much better than Brad Brooks.
Thats a strong list right there.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

That's not a very good answer in my opinion, and makes your previous statement a little questionable. I would think that being 100% AEM qualified makes you qualified to use the hardware and software, but doesn't automatically make one a good tuner.

For example, how many here have heard of Aby Nazario? Maybe more now that his screen name is Aby@ MIL.SPEC...but when it was "WOT" he was just another guy on EvoM who owned an Evo. Except, most didn't know that he had tuned and built race engines in INDY and CART (to name a few) for 20 years. And the guy who created the AEM architecture used to work with him (I think he was one of Aby's junior level co-workers). And, Aby has helped tweak/fix a few of his friend's AEM's who were "professionally" tuned. So, I guess my point is it's a fairly arbitrary thing to call someone "A Top 5 AEM Tuner" just because AEM has handed them a piece of paper saying they're 100% Qualified or whatever...
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Just to put this to rest...

Just because you're AEM Certified does not mean dick. It just means that you were taught what the tables and stuff are in the AEM program. It is up to YOU to use them properly (read: TUNE)

I can be AEM certified easily but doesn't mean I can tune...

-E

P.S. UHG, Erik beat me to it!!

Last edited by Wicked E; Aug 10, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wicked E
P.S. UHG, Erik beat me to it!!
Sorry

And Aby isn't even AEM certified...I'm surprised they even let him work on open wheel race cars without it
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

wow, I was going to go there to get tuned. I think I am going to DTM...
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Brad Brooks is one of the best aem tuners in the business, this thread reeks of information being left out. You people who do not even have an idea of who Brad is or what Brad has done need to close your mouths. All your doing is trying to drag a good mans name through the mud and making yourselves sound like retards in the process.

Quick Reply: Aem + Anti Lag Launch Control Kills Motor (evo9)