Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aem + Anti Lag Launch Control Kills Motor (evo9)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand from this thread it wasnt the actual anti lag being used in AEMPro it was the 2-Step with the retard rev. Is this right?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like using a secondary rev limit, not anti lag.

Basically your just banging on a rev limiter...

The engine blew up cause you were making heat in the engine and not the exhaust manifold (needed to build boost = antilag).

Anyway good luck.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

wow i thought Brad Brooks knew his **** when it came to AEM tuning
Old Feb 17, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't believe the OP is bringing this up again... Brooks has forgotten more about tuning than most people ever knew, and the OP still can't even properly describe his claimed problem...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

o rly

Last edited by joseph k; Nov 12, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thing is from reading this post it isnt "anti lag" . It is simply like Jean said a secondary rev limit. Which if so I dont understand how the ignition timing was "too advanced" ? I've used the retard rev on many cars with no issues. I dont see how this car would be any different. I know communication is lost when going through two people. I would ask your new tuner to post up what he found was wrong because I don't understand from you posts (no offense)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpha
Thing is from reading this post it isnt "anti lag" . It is simply like Jean said a secondary rev limit. Which if so I dont understand how the ignition timing was "too advanced" ? I've used the retard rev on many cars with no issues. I dont see how this car would be any different. I know communication is lost when going through two people. I would ask your new tuner to post up what he found was wrong because I don't understand from you posts (no offense)
ugh no there is a sub menu in the AEM for Anti-Lag which this is what he is referring to. whether or not it is the reason the car had issues i have no idea. but there are about 12 different variables in the menu for the anti lag set up one of which is timing
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

lol i did not bring this thread alive brad do you need help reading maybe you should not just jump to the last page and read i was just answering a ? for someone i let it go i have not even seen this thread since august. i will bring your coil by the 2g coils and ignitor did not even work for then than 24 psi on pump for my car i will bring them by isp next week.

Last edited by MRfabolous; Feb 18, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
I can't believe the OP is bringing this up again... Brooks has forgotten more about tuning than most people ever knew, and the OP still can't even properly describe his claimed problem...
yes i can i had like 6 burnt exhaust valves from the lag my new tuner looked at the map and said it was because of too much timing ran. idnk that is what he said dude when i was on it sounded more harsh then any other person i know that runs anti-lag on their evo but anyway none of this all matters i did not even bring this thread to live it has been since august since i even seen this thread i was just answering a ? someone asked thats all.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

I dunno man, I know Brad Brooks well and I know he knows what he is doing, he is a good guy too. Sometimes things happen, and some tuners are quick to badmouth others.

Sean
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not really familiar with AEM's antilag but if it's similar to Hondata and other's antilag then it's timing retard along with extra fuel, along with 2 step and or NLTS. Yes it's very violent. Too much timing would indicate advance.... Maybe too much retard would cause this but not too much advance.

What happens is your creating combustion while the exhaust valves are open, which causes the manifold to be used as a combustion chamber. This spools large turbos almost instantly, blow's fireballs, can damage valves, it feels like your splitting atoms when your in the car.

You should have a fully built head / sleeves, heat treated valves, forged internals, a quality manifold, and even with all of these things it constitutes abuse, and will rapidly reduce the life of any setup. I see people with SFWD competition cars running this. It's hard to blame the tuner if you insisted he turn this on for your setup.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

i just had someone tell me he did not set it up i was not on the lag hard and for brad to say i am acting like a kid saying i wanted fire works hahaha funny he was bad mouthing me that is not why i wanted it i wanted to leave the line real hard i street race my car i just did not think the 2 step was going to give me wanted i wanted and my friend jimmy used antilag and told me i should too it is better then a reg 2 step for a bigger turbo that is why i wanted it not to play with it in parking lots i know that is could damage my motor that is why i wasnt on it for for like 3 pops.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBrooks
Jeez. Give it up man. Too much timing advance on anti-lag? Yeah, that makes sense.... learn how anti-lag works then figure out why that isn't possible.

Best of luck to you and have fun with the free set of coils you never paid for.

+1

I think most people need to read up on anti-lag a little bit, and if they plan on running it, definitely.

Anti lag is great, as long as your running a Pro Rally car backed with sponsers or have deep pockets. The rally guys use it not only for launch, but for when they are braking into a turn, to keep boost pressure while your braking. The down side is they rebuild the engine every 500 stage miles.

Anti-lag can be a very mild setting or very aggressive. It has the ability to make and hold boost to any pressure, but at what cost. Basically if your running a very MILD anti-lag(read <5psi), that was tuned properly, by someone with experience with anti-lag, as long as your running inside the operating temperatures of the turbo, its not going to break anything tomorrow, but it will accelerate wear. A higher setting say 20psi well that is going to send the EGT's threw the roof burn up your turbo, and make swiss cheese out of your manifold, thats if you don't burn up a valve first...as the OP did. Also raises cylinder temperature and pressure which can result in detonation or pre-ignition from the valves being super hot.

Oh, he was talking about when you set up anti-lag you use negative numbers in your ignition table. The problem wasn't to much timing, it was too aggressive of an anti-lag setting. coupled with...when my car comes back to me with more power then I can control do I baby it? Or beat the hell out of it? I for one am going to hold the throttle down until I run out of gear or space. I would also say that it's not necessary for drag racing our cars. Also save anti-lag for when a trophy is envolved.