Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: What were your results of the 1x1 method?
Headstuds installed by Self ; No issues
46.55%
Headstuds installed by Self ; Have/Had Problems
8.62%
Headstuds installed by Reputable shop ; No issues
36.21%
Headstuds installed by Reputable shop ; Have/Had Problems
8.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

If your ARP Headstuds were Installed 1x1 Please Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess ill be doing the 1x1 method.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Tons have done this without issue. Heck Buschur even does the rod bolts 1X1
Oh boy... Im assuming you've never assembled a motor before. Let me explain... you are comparing apples to oranges. Two different things.

Cylinder Head torquing methods require you to torque from the inner most bolts/studs and work our way outward (why?) to properly distribute(evenly) the torque needed to keep the two flat surfaces sealed against each other. You are talking about a broad area using multiple points of torque (the bolts)

In a rod bolt scenario its different. Yes you can replace those 1x1, there are no ill effects from doing that. Why? well for one... there are ONLY 2 bolts. you kinda dont have a choice... and two... there is NO seal to compromise when releasing the initial torque when removing one of the rod bolts. In fact the rotating assembly is literally swimming in the oil and oil gets into the bearing surfaces by design. Its kinda the point... now main bearings need a torque sequence if the girdle has multiple bolts to spread the load evenly as well. But you are more concerned w/ the integrity of it keeping the crank in place versus a seal (like in a gasket scenario)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by E VOL IX
Do it with the motor TOTALLY cooled down and you shouldnt have ANY problems if done correctly
Had mine worked on this way by RRE. Dropped the car off at night....they didn't do the headstuds until the next day. This was around 3,000 miles if I remember correctly, and I am now at 92,000 miles with close to 400whp.

In the near future, I'll be doing an engine build so I am not too worried about things.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

i checked the back of my block for all that i could see and feel it was all dry... so i dunno if i can agree that every car that does this method leaks oil.

for everyone that chose no issues related to installing headstuds 1x1 did you check behind your block?

Last edited by itzcharlez; Aug 14, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

what you should have added to your poll was...

HEADSTUDS INSTALLED TRADITIONALLY W/ HEAD REMOVED (NO ISSUES)

HEADSTUDS INSTALLED TRADITIONALLY W/ HEAD REMOVED (HAD ISSUES)

You see... This would answer your questions more completely... because the argument really is... having studs installed 1x1 less reliable than doing it the traditional (proper) way? You'd need to know the above to see that. I think we all know the 'had issues' would be zero if anything... and then it would be up to you to judge what percentage of failure from 1x1 method is appropriate to consider as "acceptable"
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think we all agree that if you remove the head and do it properly it will have no issues. Were not arguing that point or any point for that matter. I'm just trying to see how reliable the method is. There has to be a reason shops even use this method of installing head studs. I don't think that major shops would do it knowing that it will fail and cause problems, that would create a bad name for their shop.

Last edited by itzcharlez; Aug 14, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had I known that the 1x1 method produced any problems I would have never done it. Back in 2003 nobody knew about the leak potential.

I wouldn't ever do it on another car.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

now ^that i agree with
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears more like a hand full of people with less than stellar results are on a crusade to convince the overwelming majority without issues that THEY are in fact, wrong.

It sucks that people have had issues, but that is the risk of dicking with the (any) car in the first place. Most of our sponsors/shops/myself successfully have used this method. I'd be willing to bet the other vendors/shops have the same disclaimer too, that there "could" be an issue. Yet I don't see all these threads about how this vendor, or that vendor did my studs and I have a leak". Yes people have had leaks, however, there is no conclusive evidence that it was caused by installer, materials, dumb luck, or the super secret Evo 1x1 oil leak gremlin.

So go to your shop of choice, ask them their opinion, pay your money, and go from there. Or, do it yourself and live with that. Whether the head comes off or not, if competent hands go into your engine bay, positive results should come out!

...and I'm outta here.

Last edited by Zeus; Aug 14, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

take the small risk of failure w the shortcut... or go through the pain of completely removing the head for 100% avoidance of failure... both have pros/cons... choice is yours.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

this was a pretty good idea. to see who realy has probs with the 1x1 and stuff
Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatdudety
this was a pretty good idea. to see who realy has probs with the 1x1 and stuff
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks You

Originally Posted by Zeus
It appears more like a hand full of people with less than stellar results are on a crusade to convince the overwelming majority without issues that THEY are in fact, wrong.

It sucks that people have had issues, but that is the risk of dicking with the (any) car in the first place. Most of our sponsors/shops/myself successfully have used this method. I'd be willing to bet the other vendors/shops have the same disclaimer too, that there "could" be an issue. Yet I don't see all these threads about how this vendor, or that vendor did my studs and I have a leak". Yes people have had leaks, however, there is no conclusive evidence that it was caused by installer, materials, dumb luck, or the super secret Evo 1x1 oil leak gremlin.

So go to your shop of choice, ask them their opinion, pay your money, and go from there. Or, do it yourself and live with that. Whether the head comes off or not, if competent hands go into your engine bay, positive results should come out!

...and I'm outta here.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

whats the point of doing it 1x1? i need to get head studs and if i did it i would take all the stock head bolts out and put in all the studs and then put the nuts on in the correct order to the right torque specs....
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

i think AMS does the 1x1 method

Quick Reply: If your ARP Headstuds were Installed 1x1 Please Vote!