Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Leak + Popped out dipstick

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Leak + Popped out dipstick

Ok so I guess I have had this leak for a while but I kind of barely noticed it. It seems like its leaking from the oil filter but the lines around the oil filter are also full of oil so Im not sure. So right now i decided to check the dipstick which when i opened the hood was slightly popped out and the fuel line was also covered in a light amount of oil. When i checked the dipstick it was over the line quite a bit so i cleaned it and looked at it again and it has oil a little below the fill line but it has traces of oil all the way to the top of the dipstick. I checked the engine while it was off tho so maybe i just need to turn it on. Anyone have any ideas on why oil is leaking and if you think its from the oil filter or from the lines. Also why do you think the dipstick popped out. I didnt really run it hard to day just a few times i went into boost and not even close to redline.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clean it up then run it...pinpoint the leak and fix it. Maybe the dipstick wasn't fully in all the way from the last time it was used. You always check the oil level with the car off btw...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

ya blew the headgasket... almost GUARANTEE it... same thing happened to me.. i did a head install... first pull on the dyno... POP... dipstick flew out... if i were you ide to a compression test to further verify if ur holding compression in the cylinders or if it is sneakin past and into the oil sump.... once the pressure goes to the sump... there is only one way out... through the dip stick...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

i doubt it. when i say the dipstick was popped out i mean it was barely hanging off i didnt even notice til i pulled it out. There was no oil all over the engine so Im fairly certain that thats not the case.

im thinking it is from the oil filter because it was dripping from the bottom of the oil filter I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions where it could be leaking from in that area. I was think it was the lines but i dont think so.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I cleaned everything up with a towel drove it around brought it back home and it is coming from the oil filter. Im still good on oil according to the dipstick but I cannot figure out why the oil filter is leaking. Its tightened up like crazy I cannot physically tighten it anymore. Should I just replace the filter or could it be something else?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

if its the filter leaking then you need to replace the filter... did you lube the seal with a little oil when you put that filter on?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

it could be the line to the cooler, they have copper gaskits that are in line by the filter. try replacing them. as for your dipstick coming out, that happens to me due to the pressure in the block. i just ziptied it down but lancershop has a retainer for the dipstick to fix that if you want to buy it.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

If your PCV is blocked, you will have crankcase pressure and cause dipstick to pop. With increased boost, this is pretty common. Eliminating PCV valve helps with this issue...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BaLListic_EVO
if its the filter leaking then you need to replace the filter... did you lube the seal with a little oil when you put that filter on?
yea i actaully forgot to do that because i was in a rush. you think that could be the cause of it? O well I guess Ill just replace the oil filter tomorrow and see if it stops leaking. Is there a way to replace oil filter without replacing all the oil again?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

The oil will not drain out of the oil pan if you remove the oil filter. You will just have to refill what was lost in the filter and a small amount of what is sitting on top of that. Less then 1 qt...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

o ok nice to know. What oil filter do you suggest I usually use mobil 1 oil filter but its damn expensive and I dont wanna buy it again if its just gonna leak again. I was thinking of getting the factory one but I dont think they have it in stock. Any other good filters?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

WIX is a good brand that isn't too pricy
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

ok thankjs illl look into it
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
If your PCV is blocked, you will have crankcase pressure and cause dipstick to pop. With increased boost, this is pretty common. Eliminating PCV valve helps with this issue...
+1....i had issue when line to intake tract was pinched..causing the dipstick to fly out!