Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TILTON twin cerametallic users i need you info & experience here.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TILTON twin cerametallic users i need you info & experience here.

if most of you have followed my QM thread you will know why i made this thread.

FIRST OFF. I DO NOT want to here anything about your tilton carbon clutches. i dont care about them i do not want them. this thread is for tilton CERAMETALLIC twin clutches only. thank you.

ok here is my little run down. i blew up my trans after 65k miles. ''4th gear 5 speed trans'' i have a Exedy twin HD installed and has been very strong for 30k miles and still counting. i am having my trans rebuilt. i am also having my T/C rebuilt and a Quaiffe LSD added to the mix. now i wanted to replace the clutch as well. you may ask why so ill just tell you here. the reason i want to replace it is because it has 30k miles on it. i am going to be stepping up my turbo setup soon to follow and i do not want to reuse this clutch or have to worry about it failing on me. i also want to replace it to goto the push style instead of the factory pull style.

Before you ask
Exedy push conversion 1200.00 + 550 for rebuild kit = 1750
enough said.

now here is what i need from you.

1. how much does a full tilton cerametallic clutch/flywheel weigh

2. i want to know how long you have had it installed on your car '' how many miles on the tilton cerametallic twin clutch.

3. what type of driving do you do?
example
1. granny street driving
2. hard street/highway driving
3. hard street/highway/DRAG on weekends driving <------- this is me
4. FULL drag driving

4. how is it holding up with your driving habits??

5. what version of the tilton CERAMETALLIC twin clutch are you using. i beleave there is a few types so please specify what one you have.

thanks guys for your help.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19lbs!!!
maybe 500 just installed
I drive like you and it takes every bit of it
I have the newest version came with the clutch stopper previous versions didn't i believe, the only thing negative is the noise and you get use to it I kinda like it, decel noise sounds like a race car.
Hopefully other people chime in because 500 miles isn't that many, but i thought i should share
Old Nov 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

It hold 440 perfect but it is really not fun to drive on the streets. I would rock an exedy triple if i had it all to do again
Old Nov 8, 2008, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Customer of ours put 500+whp to it for months w/o an issue.. Weekend warrior w/ plenty of drag passes as well..
Old Nov 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Mike I bet you have a lot of experiance with this clutch on customer cars.... how do you see it holding up on my type of driving style and such. And if you can pm me a price of all the tilton twin prices and trq ratings of each. Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I've been running a Tilton twin C/M for about 12,000 miles and it is still holding strong. I don't launch my car, so I don't know how long it would hold up with a lot of drag racing. I daily drove the car with the Tilton for a while, but now I work from home so I mostly just drive it for fun.

Aggressive Driving:
The Tilton is amazing for aggressive driving. Super fast shifts, much better than any other clutches I've driven (ACT, Exedy Twin, Stock). I also really like the push-type engagement; it makes the clutch much easier to modulate. Taking off from a stop quickly is very easy, doing anything else is tough.

Around town:
The clutch is a bit tough to slip for an easy take-off. I've gotten used to it and can do it, but it's not the easiest thing to do. Once under way, this clutch does not bother me much at anything under 45 mph, so it's great around town. It does make a lot of noise at idle and during decel, but not so much that it's a major problem.

Highway:
I don't know if this is a problem for everyone or if I just need my trans rebuilt, but the resonant vibrations from this clutch at ~70-75 mph and above are terrible. It's fairly loud (louder than my exhaust at cruise) and can make your feet fall asleep. The other thing about my car that may exacerbate this issue is I have a stroker without balance shafts. On a 2.0 liter it may not be as bad. I'm actually considering switching up to something a little more tame as I'll probably be daily driving it again next year. I guess I'm starting to get too old to drive a race car every day.

-Paul
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

PVD04 thank you sir. great reply. what is your power output. if your not sure just tell me what type of setup your running and what fuel/boost you are using for a general idea. thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

~450 whp for most of the 12,000 miles.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
~450 whp for most of the 12,000 miles.

thanks. sorry i am blind. i dident see your sig. lol
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I used to have an Exedy Twin SD, but now I have the Tilton Twin Cerametallic

1. no idea, but they claim 19lbs. BUT that's not the only important part. What's also important is that it is a smaller diameter, which has a huge impact on the rotational mass of the assembly.

2. only about 500 miles, but so far it's great

3. hard street/highway driving - no launches or drags - may road race it soon tho

4. too new to tell

5. I have the "rally" version with the new uprated "gray" pressure plate

A FEW MORE THINGS ...

a. this sucker squeals like a stuck pig when you try to take off slowly, especially up hill.

b. it rattles like an Exedy Twin, but the opposite. The Exedy rattles when you let the clutch out, the Tilton rattles when you push it in.

c. my car now shifts like butter! this thing drives so much nicer than the Exedy that it's worth the squealing (which supposedly gets better over time).
Old Nov 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan,

I am probably one of the most experienced Tilton owner on this site on a daily driver Evo.

I will tell you about this clutch, and you can then decide if it is for you, or not.

My VIII its currently got 68,000 miles on it.

I replaced my stock clutch with the Tilton when the car had 26,000 miles.
My 1st. Tilton was the Hybrid, so I won't talk about that one, except to tell you that it was done at 17, 000 miles. The Organic disk was worn, the ceramic disk was still good. 13 or so track runs, and the rest normal driving.

I then decided to change the same clutch and update it to full cerametallic.
At the time, people where having problems with the splines on the disks blowing apart.

I got a hold of the techs at Tilton and they recommended me to get the disks with a new spline type design they had just developed. The original splines where silver in color. The updated disks, the splines or center hub is black. Made of stronger material. The new disk part numeber ends in the letter H now.

At that time, I replaced the disks for the stronger type, the PP and Floater Plate.
This 2nd Tilton lasted me 16, 000 miles. The original Hydrolic Bearing failed and started to leak until I lost all the pressure in the Clutch. The bearing is not designed for 37,000 miles it had on it. So it lasted a long time all things considered. This is a racing Clutch, after all.

At this point, the car had about 52, 000 miles. I decided to get a brand new Clutch Cover, New Cerametallic Disks, New Flywheel and New Bearing.
The old Cerammic Disks were still in very good condition, but they got contaminated with oil when the bearing leaked, and could not be re-used.

This current Tilton, I have used a bit more than the last 2 in the past. More track uses, more street launches. I fugured if I was going to pay for a clutch like this, I was going to enjoy it more and not baby it. So far it is lasted the same times as the other 2.

Only problem is, it is starting to make the same noise as when the Hydrolic Bearing started to make the last time it failed.

To make a closing statement, I will tell you this.

The Tilton is the best clutch for our cars, performance wise, period. The low weight, and grabing power it amazing. You can't miss a gear if you try.

However, this Clutch is not normal. It will make noises, it will remind you at every traffic light, every time you shift gears, it is a Tilton.

It will require maintenace every 12,000 to 17, 000 miles. The average repair bill is abot 500.00 for parts each ocurrence, and 450~500 for labor each time as well.
If you resurface the Flywheel and need to get other parts, it will be more.

It will not last you 30,000 miles like the one you got now. I don't speed shift, and I drive the car normally everyday.

From experience, I will tell you that the average Tiltons life with a dozen or so track launches, and a dozen street fun runs, the Clutch will last you 12,000 to 17, 000 miles, or 8~10 months of street use. Which ever comes 1st.

The car had about 370 whp and 385 Tq on the 1st Tilton. 400~450 whp and Tq on the 2nd Tilton. And 500 plus whp and Tq. on the current one.

The Clutch can take the power. But I think it is designed to wear out of spec after so much time, and it does require maintenance.

The good thing is, I will still keep using it. It is simply the best. Expensive to operate, wild do deal with it everyday, but oh well, .

Good luck.

Manie
Old Nov 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

i had a tilton on my car,made 707hp,489 torque with my old setup.the clutch held the power just fine but it had spline problems and messed up the input shaft of my trans.tilton has updated the splines and soposedly fixed the problem.i am now running it again,although it is a different one(sold the last one when i put the car to stock)with my stock turbo.so far so good.it rattles like a tin can and sometimes people at lights look at me like my car is about to fall apart.if it wasnt for all the t.o.b. problems i had with my exedy i would have used that again.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

thank you guys. great reveiws thus far. keep them coming.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Dan have you looked into PTT clutches? I had one on my old GVR4 and it was great!

Quick Reply: TILTON twin cerametallic users i need you info & experience here.