Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

O2 Housing/Heat Shield Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I trimmed my heatshield a bit and it fits perfectly over the Buschur/eBay o2 housing. I have it attached with just the 1 bolt on the turbo hotside.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently went through this, and looking back I would probably chose differently. I picked up the Invidia. Its huge and its cast (suppoedly meaning strong). The thing about it was the install sucked, and now its impossible to maintain any of the bolts or nuts. I suggest making sure whatever you get can be tighten while in the car. I can't and I believe it has worked lose one of the nuts from the vibration.

I also suspect that the car started running slightly worse afterward. I can't prove that with number or dyno pulls, but feel wise it just felt droany and a bit more flat that the Tomei setup that WAS on there.

I would also dump the heat shield. I tend to do that a lot though, but I don't think its that effective there anyway.

M
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
i bought the ebay o2 housing from buschur and actually have since ported my stocker in order to retain the heat shield...but what a pain it is to take off/put back on the shield. i did that for warranty purposes though.

if you end up going the ebay housing, i'm willing to sell it.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go with the e bay housing just save the heat shield. A ported factory housing w/shield looks stock for less hassle and the bolts tend to stay tight.
Your choice.

Todd
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Heatshield is nice and all but it seems that WORKS is the only O2 housing that has the support tab in place (that allows you to reuse the stock O2 housing -> block bracket). Too bad the price is a bit too high on the works housing, moreover - it only works with the works downpipe (donut is a different size).
Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See if even having a O2 HS outweighs not having one>

W/O HS - more HP because less temperature (and psi) behind exducer
With HS - PS pump hight soak a little heat.

Throw the heat shield in the deserving trash can and put it behind you
Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

I got the ebay O2 housing with PPI coating from PPI for $110 shipped. You don't need the shield like everyone says.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:12 AM

why bother having the heat shield ?

I takes up space and isn't that effective, ripped it out when i changed my headers. Would relocate the battery if it wasn't for the voltage drop we noticed when we put it in the trunk, If someone has a solution for that I would appreciate a PM.
My oppinion on the O2 housing , well ... after a while you want more power, save you money on the O2 housing and buy yourself a bigger turbo.

Well, thats my oppinion anyway
Old Nov 15, 2021, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by headrec
Hey

Looking to possibly upgrade my o2 housing. I was mainly looking at the ebay one since they are known to be a good bang for the buck. Is there any way to use the OEM heatshield with it. If not is there another housing that will work with the heat shield. Thanks in advance!
Hi did you upgrade the O2 housing? If so, do you have the O2 Shield? for sale?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Hi, if you are looking for the lower section of the heatshield, you may try posting a WTB ad here, combing through the marketplace, and asking in one of the several Evo facebook groups.

I'm assuming you are aware that this thread is 13 years old. User 'headrec' hasn't been active here in over 4 years. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/me...2-headrec.html

Old Nov 16, 2021, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by han74j
Hi did you upgrade the O2 housing? If so, do you have the O2 Shield? for sale?
Are you referring to the stock O2 heat shield? or whether there was some other shield for the aftermarket O2 housings? I have my stock heat shield laying around...pm me if you're interested in it.
The following users liked this post:
Apex Hunter (Nov 18, 2021)