Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Freeze Plug pop out!!!!! Its still runs fine after put back. What could this be?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It didn't blow out?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

It did but I plugged it back in last and drove back home
Old Dec 6, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

It went in that easy?? They are a pain in the *** to get in there
Old Dec 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
are you sure it is freeze plug? just buy a new one and put it back in. if it is really a freeze plug, coolant should have come out. sometimes built engines, they don't rerplace the freeze plug. get one from the dealer and pop it in
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm surprised at the interest in this thread. This is a known problem and SEARCH will turn up many people who have encountered it.

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 6, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
most mechanics fail at freeze plug replacement. most will find a socket that fits inside the plug and hammer the new one in. this will stretch the plug and leave no tension for it to stay in. the correct way to install is using a seal installer tool that seats on the lip of the plug when hammering in.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have this dreadful problem with my talon, I would pop atleast 4 of them per race season, it was very annoying, that was until I started using nothing but OEM freeze plugs, the aftermarket crap most machine shops will use don't work so well. My car didn't have any head lift problems nor head gasket issues, it was traced down to the block was stressing and moving around a bit, causing the freeze plug to loosen up and go bye bye.

What I ended up doing was using OEM freeze plugs from the dealership and use loctite sleeve retainer (the green stuff) when installing the plugs. The sleeve retainer works very very well on freeze plugs. After using the OEM plugs and the sleeve retainer I never had another one pop out again, even when I did have some head gasket issues it still never popped out, although it did balloon my radiator instead haha.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
I used to have this dreadful problem with my talon, I would pop atleast 4 of them per race season, it was very annoying, that was until I started using nothing but OEM freeze plugs, the aftermarket crap most machine shops will use don't work so well. My car didn't have any head lift problems nor head gasket issues, it was traced down to the block was stressing and moving around a bit, causing the freeze plug to loosen up and go bye bye.

What I ended up doing was using OEM freeze plugs from the dealership and use loctite sleeve retainer (the green stuff) when installing the plugs. The sleeve retainer works very very well on freeze plugs. After using the OEM plugs and the sleeve retainer I never had another one pop out again, even when I did have some head gasket issues it still never popped out, although it did balloon my radiator instead haha.
Have you tried using the rubber kind? The one that expands. The one I popped out its an OEM.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen a few evos with the freeze plug problem also. One of them could have been from a HG but even with a big HG leak you should not lose Freaze plugs. I use OEM plugs and put back in with red lock tight and they have never bothered me again. Both of the motors that I had problems with were brand new dealer blocks. So the factory is who put the plugs in. I have also seen the freeze plug on the water pump blow out.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Im just going to put the old one back in and put some thread lock today.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah ive seen the one on the water pump blow out before, It was caused by a blown head gasket.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

ARP Headstuds used on the build?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
did you recently change your coolant

a large air pocket in your coolant system can cause a flash and pop your freeze plugs out
Old Dec 7, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
ARP Headstuds used on the build?
Yes I got ARP L19

Originally Posted by justboosted02
did you recently change your coolant

a large air pocket in your coolant system can cause a flash and pop your freeze plugs out
not since Jully
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump. just had this happen to me. where can I order OEM freeze plugs online? local dealer is useless.

edit: got it from mitsuparts

Last edited by JordanS4; Dec 13, 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Freeze Plug pop out!!!!! Its still runs fine after put back. What could this be?