Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So I took my airfilter cover off

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL OMFG NOIZE YOU CRACK ME UP.

HEY GUYS I REMOVED MY LID TO MY AIRBOX AND NOW I'M A SLOW RICER.

go play in traffic.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep posting nonsense; I'm laughing at you. Maybe if you pull your turbo heatshield, it will SOUND LOUDER and give you a super JDM weight reduction, riceboi. Have fun getting pulled by stock Evos.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Here are some pics for the visually impaired:

Note my expert duct tape job. I checked it a couple of times today after driving and it's holding strong. Good enough for me!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Noize

Its ghetto, not anchored, and it is NOT helping performance. Have fun being a slow ricer.
hey thats kinda rude wheres the love for us people who arnt blessed like you guys with the evos are?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I took mine off today about went for about a 5 mile trip...I have a boost gauge and didn't notice any boost drop. You can hear the turbo whine a little more and the stock BOV is more audible...but barely..
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by ryancb

hey thats kinda rude wheres the love for us people who arnt blessed like you guys with the evos are?
Meh, I have nothing against the 4G64 NA cars. I'm just against doing something for "cool sounds" that hinders stock performance. Kind of like an antimod.

Bottom line, its Deceit's car, and he can do whatever he wants with it.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Noize, you obviously don't know anything about this, so stfu before someone makes you look really stupid.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Daveyd
I took mine off today about went for about a 5 mile trip...I have a boost gauge and didn't notice any boost drop. You can hear the turbo whine a little more and the stock BOV is more audible...but barely..
Tried it also. More turbo whining and I can hear the stock BOV, but it's barely audible with wind noise. I honestly 'feel' a difference on the throtte, but it could all be in my head
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by webguy330i
Noize, you obviously don't know anything about this, so stfu before someone makes you look really stupid.
BRING IT ON!!!!!! I fail to see how someone is going to make me look stupid claiming that its helpful to the car in any way to pull the top off the airbox.

How many 4G63 powered cars have you owned prior to this one?
What's to stop you guys from calling Buschur racing and getting a REAL intake if you really like the sound so much? Its only $80. You notice that very few people are doing this silencer box top pull "mod".
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

BRING IT ON!!!!!! I fail to see how someone is going to make me look stupid claiming that its helpful to the car in any way to pull the top off the airbox.

How many 4G63 powered cars have you owned prior to this one?
What's to stop you guys from calling Buschur racing and getting a REAL intake if you really like the sound so much? Its only $80. You notice that very few people are doing this silencer box top pull "mod".
You are making yourself look stupid, no need for anyone else to help you, although it's painfully obvious that you probably need help in every other facet of your life. How does it even matter that I've never owned a 4g63? Or a turbo car even? Air flow is air flow.

I fail to see how it isn't completely moronically simple that pulling the cover of the airbox is a 1) 30-second mod, 2) free mod, 3) sound-flowing mod. I don't personally think it makes anymore realizable power (meaning it's useless if it's there, woopidy doo dah). You are arguing a point for no reason, and that is that you think this is pointless, so who cares? STFU and move along, no one asked you for your worthless input anyhow.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

...claiming that its helpful to the car in any way to pull the top off the airbox....
I've read more air = more power with proper tuning of A/F. Exactly, how is it harmful/non-beneficial to take the top cover as oppose to using a cone filter.

http://www.automotosports.com/evo1_test.asp

I don't think everyone's going to drive around with their covers off all the time, but I'm sure they're curious.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by webguy330i

You are making yourself look stupid, no need for anyone else to help you, although it's painfully obvious that you probably need help in every other facet of your life. How does it even matter that I've never owned a 4g63? Or a turbo car even? Air flow is air flow.

I fail to see how it isn't completely moronically simple that pulling the cover of the airbox is a 1) 30-second mod, 2) free mod, 3) sound-flowing mod. I don't personally think it makes anymore realizable power (meaning it's useless if it's there, woopidy doo dah). You are arguing a point for no reason, and that is that you think this is pointless, so who cares? STFU and move along, no one asked you for your worthless input anyhow.
OK, you're simply not listening. The only facet of my life I need help in is trying to NOT see red when I read threads like this.

I'm going to try the civil approach with this, so please listen. I think this "mod" is actually hurting performance. I think if you drag raced the car with the top of the airbox pulled, you will actually run a slower ET and trap. If somebody can prove this actually IMPROVES performance, then I apologize profusely and retract everything I've said about it. In my dyno experience, hot underhood air + air funnel snorkel not going into an encased airbox = bad.

I'm sorry if I've offended/insulted anyone with my posting methods. I guess I was just incredulous while shocked by the idea and couldn't believe people were accepting it as truth. I do wholeheartedly believe this lid removal will slow your car down.

Anyone want to dyno it with their hood closed and find out? If the jury is still out on this at a later date, I'll use my car as the dyno mule for this "mod" and post the results when making runs. I doubt I'll be charged any extra for one extra run when the car is already strapped down.

Later

Last edited by Noize; Sep 11, 2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'll give it a shot on my baseline dyno run sometime in the near future. FWIW I appreciate your civility in your last post, so thanks. Also it'll be interesting to see Stinkapuss' dyno info as well, hence why I asked rather than just saying, "Oh damn that's sweet!! I'm telling all my friends to take off their airbox covers!".
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Sounds great man, sorry about letting it get out of hand. Please let us know what you find out if you baseline before I do. I think the most thorough way to test it would be fan in front of the car with the hood closed, back to back runs with cool down time. Have a great remainder of the day.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

It's all good bro, it's just an internet forum after all.

I don't know when/where I'll be dynoing, need to locate an AWD dyno in upstate NY. Anyone have any ideas? We should have a thread about dynos and locations and such.

Have yourself a fine evening, I am going home from this dreaded company.

Quick Reply: So I took my airfilter cover off