Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ted B.'s HTA3582 Twinscroll Project

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ted it Looks really CLEAN, Well Laid out and Glad to finally see pics

You were one of the first Spark Tech customers...back when we were referred to as the EBAY COP......We'd like the thank you for supporting us. Ted first had our basic system and later upgraded to our Pro version. It's customers like yourself that keeps us searching for ways to improve our systems and not get stuck in the mentality of ONE SIZE FITS ALL.. or IT WORKS GOOD ENOUGH so why change it!

Congratulations on building this beast

Wow time flies...We've had the Black Heat sleeve for quite a while now. We've got to get the black on there to match the Black braided valve cover breather hoses

Happy Holidays
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

looks amazing....i am very excited to hear about the power results in the future.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ted

From my testing 2 walbro's only flow 15% more than one when you start adding pressure to them, I would look at another type of pump system before injectors then change the injectors if needed.

Mark
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mark S
Ted

From my testing 2 walbro's only flow 15% more than one when you start adding pressure to them, I would look at another type of pump system before injectors then change the injectors if needed.

Mark
what type of pump system are most people going to after they max the br double pumper?

i use a weldon 2345 in my other car. but that thing is loud! also draws a lot of power.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Looking good Ted! Keep up the good work.

I have great experience with Magnafuel fuel pumps over Aeromotive. Although they can be a little loud depending on how you mount them. Thinking about going to a Waterman or Weldon mechanical.

Post Script: How is the Dixie?

Chris
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nicely done Ted. what's your engine specs ? also can't wait to see some source of graph.

Last edited by vboy425; Dec 21, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Thats one clean *** engine bay. Sick set up Ted.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
looks great ted...

we are running a TS T4 on our Time attack car... something smaller than yours, on a 2.3... should be VERY responsive...

also, you need a straight shot upper rad hose radiator

cb
You guys keep on calling it a Time Atttack car ?when are you guys really going to race it
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
You guys keep on calling it a Time Atttack car ?when are you guys really going to race it
It's a purpose build car, for a time attack series. Why would you not call it a time attack car? Your ball busting is unnecessary.

Its about time you show off your motor ted! Looks amazing!

Keep it up!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Immaculate setup, really awesome.
Couple things, Care to share any info on your custom grinds and why you felt an off the shelf cam was'nt the best choice.

I see a stock MAF still, what are you logging with and do you have any logs that show what you feel to be the spool properties of your setup.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks again everyone. Now, to answer your questions:

Manifold
The manifold is a hand-welded stainless TS T4 item. More build photos of this manifold and others can be found at MPFab. As for availability, you'd have to inquire.

Fuel System
Mark, the dual Walbro setup (mine is the Fullblown billet aluminum assy) is proven capable of delivering over 750whp (Dynojet) worth of E85. I am simply at the limit of the 1250cc injectors. I tried to eek the base FP up a little to squeeze a bit more headroom out of it, but that does not change the fact that I need larger injectors. 1450cc should get me close to 700whp if I so choose, and that is more than what I really need.

Head
The head is a work of art, and is CNC ported and hand-finished. It is virtually impossible to get more flow out of an EVO head without destroying it, and I know this to be true first-hand. Everything has been digitized and subjected to CFD analysis. Peter at ISP Racing is the one who arranged the initial meeting between the head porter and myself, so he would be the one to discuss sales inquiries.

Cams and Valvetrain
The cams are a custom grind that I chose from a couple of custom profiles. The first thing one notices about them is that the lobes AND shaft are entirely machined (not cast) from a billet (look closely at the photo). They are a very high lift (ie more than Tomei), moderate duration grind that features very aggressive ramp rates. The beehive springs are computer matched to the ramp rates, and one set is hand-matched out of about 50. These cams are suited for only the most aggressively ported heads, and cannot just be slapped on and run, even with the correct springs. Consideration has to be taken to ensure that the valves sufficiently clear the pistons (they probably won't), and cam gears are a MUST for anything short of an all-out drag racing effort. Nevertheless, I have them idling and running perfectly on the stock ECU. I can disclose the specifics of the timing (as much as I'd like to), and again, I'll leave that discretion to Peter at ISP Racing.

Shortblock
The shortblock was assembled by JAM, and features a set of custom length (156mm) Oliver lightweight billet rods. So, it's a 2.0L, but has a longer rod and uses a 2.3 Venolia piston. Had E85 been readily available at the time I planned the motor, I probably would have upped the SCR to around 9.5:1, but it's a bit after the fact. The engine has the ACL metal-backed bearings, runs like stock, has no observable increased vibration despite the removal of the balance shafts, and burns no oil.

Boost Logging
I can log boost on the street, as the 3-bar JDM MAP sensor won't cut it for me. But like I said, I am seeing 20psi in 3rd just a tick before 4000rpm, and that isn't something you see with a 35R variant and 2.0L. I should also note that the big exhaust manifold and 3" UICP are making the spool slower that would it would be otherwise, so that further enhances perspective.

CBRD
If you're running TS T4 on your 2.3 time attack car, you must be running larger turbo (e.g. 4088R) and smaller hotside? If so, we've already seen what that can do. You might want to put a couple of spare trannies aside.

Dixie Beer
Chris, I recommend it with oysters - but it has to be ice cold. It's temporarily being contract brewed in WI while the old New Orleans brewery gets back on its feet (heavily damaged in Katrina), and the contract item doesn't quite have the almost Singha-like sharpness of the original. Again, no real performance benefit (except in the mind of the imbiber of course).

Last edited by Ted B; Dec 21, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:42 AM
Account Disabled

Very Clean setup/ engine bay!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn Ted, looks great! Hope your e30 is doing aight, had to get rid of mine. I think I've seen you on S14.net before. Sounds like you've put in a great deal of effort on your build, be sure to post some dyno sheets soon!!!!

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Dec 21, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where can I get one of those cam sensor heat shields made?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:25 PM

very nice and clean engine bay. with a slew custom parts like that, i cant wait to compare the dyno results with you previous setup. with the way it drives on the present tune it may not really matter!

great job again.

peter

Quick Reply: Ted B.'s HTA3582 Twinscroll Project