Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Samco/Perrin inake hose

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am waiting for my new Intake Mani and when i get it i need to pressure test so i dont want to install it until the IM is on. Here are some pics so far:

Dont use rubber gloves, its makes it a mess

Friggin HUGE filter:

Very nice powdercoated filter bracket and air block off. I may try to build a full intake shield to block engine heat:

I added a little silicone around the nipples to avoid any vacuum leaks - also washed off the tube since it was gross:

Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Samco Turbo intake waiting for an install on my EVO 8, it looks sturdy and the build quality is awsome. As for the perrin tube it looks way different from the samco. My buddy is going to install it on his EVO 8 as well.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I am waiting for my new Intake Mani and when i get it i need to pressure test so i dont want to install it until the IM is on. Here are some pics so far:
Awesome! Please be sure and post pics once installed. Would like to see how well this fits with the ACD res.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

samco unit is also very nice IMO
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a comparison between the perrin filter and apexi filter? That perrin filter is hideous, but if it works as good or better than the apexi, then so be it.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by biggie5252
Is there a comparison between the perrin filter and apexi filter? That perrin filter is hideous, but if it works as good or better than the apexi, then so be it.
Hi Biggie,

The Perrin filter is large & that's what you want for flow, I wouldn't put looks before performance. Not too many see under my bonnet but the looks don't bother me at all.

Try CBRD to see if they have any comparisons between the Apexi & Perrin filters. I remember Chad also did a thread just on the Perrin filter without the intake/maf adapter, it gained 10whp off memory. Maybe they have changed out an Apexi....just a thought mate.

Cheers Steve
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:14 AM
Account Disabled

be sure to clean that filter with hot soapy (dishsoap) water to get the excess oil out! There should be enough that it leaves some on your finger when you touch it. They are way over-oiled when they come from Perrin.

Great pick up. They're great!

Happy New Year!

Caleb
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Too much oil is an understatement. I installed a Perrin filter on my friend's car. Thing was soaked. It's not thin oil either. It's more like grease.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Just reading this thread gets me excited. I ordered my Perrin last week and I cant wait to slap it on the EVO.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD_Caleb
be sure to clean that filter with hot soapy (dishsoap) water to get the excess oil out! There should be enough that it leaves some on your finger when you touch it. They are way over-oiled when they come from Perrin.

Great pick up. They're great!
Happy New Year!
Caleb
Thanks for the advice, i noticed the filter was covered in oil. Do we even need to oil it?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

They are designed to be oiled with filter oil, which is designed to be thick and sticky. Regular cleaning and oiling should be done on a regular basis (depends on your driving conditions).

Caleb
Old Jan 1, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveevo9
Hi Biggie,

The Perrin filter is large & that's what you want for flow, I wouldn't put looks before performance. Not too many see under my bonnet but the looks don't bother me at all.

Try CBRD to see if they have any comparisons between the Apexi & Perrin filters. I remember Chad also did a thread just on the Perrin filter without the intake/maf adapter, it gained 10whp off memory. Maybe they have changed out an Apexi....just a thought mate.

Cheers Steve
Don't get me wrong, I won't put looks before performance. I was curious about the comparison because I'm needing a new intake pipe and I've been looking at the Perrins. I already have an apexi filter, so if the perrin filter wasn't as good, then I'd keep it. If not I'd get a whole intake kit from perrin and not just the intake pipe. Now if it comes down to them being very similar performance wise, well, then looks would be the tie breaker.

I've seen the good things said about the Perrin filter, but I haven't seen any actual comparison between Perrin and Apexi.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm also pretty interested in the Perrin setup as well, I'm also ditching my Injen set for the Nisei piping and probably this intake as well.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

i have the samco on mine. It was not any different to tune then a hard pipe and had for bout 50k miles... never collapsed or expanded
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Where is everyone getting their Perrin intakes from? What the best deal?

Quick Reply: Samco/Perrin inake hose