Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Let's see your Oil Catch can installs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name:  Camera294.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.6 KB

Here's mine. A $3 in-line fuel filter from Autozone. VERY cheap, easy to come by, and always stays out of the way. I've been blowby free ever since I started doing this. They come in all shapes and sizes so you can always find one that will fit nicely.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I don't use catch cans. I use an in-line tractor fuel filter on the breather side (laugh all you want, but it works better than most cheap catch cans ). On the PCV side, I use a Kobolt air/water seperator that does a pretty decent job. I use that because it's rated at 90psi, and the PCV side sees boost, I didn't want to risk one of the plastic fuel filters exloding.
I have a catch can that I have not installed yet. I am thinking about dumping it for a air/water separator. How much oil are you getting on both sides? Post pictures to see your setup.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my custom setup with -12 an lines , as you can see we shaved down the Mivec logo on this evo 9 valvecover and it was alot of work having these fittings clear the top caps for the cams. The can is welded up to the AMS battery tray just to hold it all together. I would have post pics of it on the car but doing a full build up right now.

Name:  EvoParts031.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  EvoParts032.jpg
Size:  37.6 KB
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1320awd
This is my custom setup with -12 an lines , as you can see we shaved down the Mivec logo on this evo 9 valvecover and it was alot of work having these fittings clear the top caps for the cams. The can is welded up to the AMS battery tray just to hold it all together. I would have post pics of it on the car but doing a full build up right now.

insane

got pic of install
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1320awd

You are running both lines from the cover to the catch can. If you set it up like that it will not do anything.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

There is a return line not in the picture that goes to the pcv
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer135
I have a catch can that I have not installed yet. I am thinking about dumping it for a air/water separator. How much oil are you getting on both sides? Post pictures to see your setup.
I get more oil on the PCV side, but that's normal because the PCV side closes under boost, and since I'm out of boost most of the time I see more on the PCV side. If you drive the car hard a lot you'll get more in the breather side than normal. You'll almost always get more on the PCV side though.

I'll go down to the garage and take some pictures later. Since it's been cold, I've been seeing a lot of water collecting in my air/water seperator on the PCV side. I was scared at first thinking I had a headgasket issue until I learned condensation and a little water in your catch can is normal. It's still real annoying to see a water and oil mix in my catch can.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill post up pics of mine in a day or two once I'm finished. I'm doing something similar too 1320awd, going to take the valve cover off and drill/tap for AN fittings wherfe the stock vents are and will be deleting the PCV valve. I made a small can out of some SS tubing I had laying around and polished that all up for a little bling too. Pics comming soon
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I would LOVE to run my PCV and breather to one can with a breather filter on top and not re-route back into the intake, but I thought that the system needed vaccum to work. After all the catch can and PCV discussions there still is no confirmation on this. Anytime I've tried to research on whether or not vaccum is needed else where online, I only read that it's simply recirculated to please the EPA and emmisions reasons. I rarely read anything about vaccum.

If vaccum isn't needed then how come most everybody with catch cans that don't recirc. blow the dipsticks out constantly? Again I like the idea of not recirculating at all, but I'm afriad that the blow-by will build up so much pressure and blow the dipstick out like many people have issues with. Not only that, but possible cause other, more serious issues.

Anyway, here are some quick snaps of my ghetto set-up. No fancey camera work here, but it's get the point across. My engine bay isn't really worth of my fancey camera work anyway

PCV side

Breather side. Route around the battery and then recirculates in stock location.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Dec 28, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:06 AM

My ebay catch can dressed up with some speedflow

Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here is my install, two -10 an to the catch can, and one after the pcv
this picture shows the catch can right infront of the tranny
Name:  DSC00676.jpg
Size:  116.4 KB
and in this picture if you look right by the abs unit you will see the smaller one going from the pcv valve back the intake manifold
Name:  DSC00680.jpg
Size:  135.8 KB
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Here's mine

Name:  c3973c92.jpg
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  62e8eada.jpg
Size:  161.2 KB

Last edited by adcgn45; Oct 5, 2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Real nice guys. Real nice. I just started looking into a catch can it seems like I'm going with the Perrin
Old Oct 8, 2010, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Some real nice install here, gotta get a pic of mine up soon
Old Oct 8, 2010, 04:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buschur catch can:

Quick Reply: Let's see your Oil Catch can installs