Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's simple today for light to light guy budget.

Smooth existing intake, do volume math on box make sure it meets airflow for any size changes you did spend money on high air flow dry air filter spend $100-$250 get powered ram basically electric super giving at will 3psi instant constant boost. Between high performance high flow filter and "box blower"and cheap $100 stage 1 chip my Mitsubishi outlander went from 160whp to 250whp still on stock exhaust so...300 dollars slight mods if needed some time.i also gained 2mpg all around.
Originally Posted by kaj
Great. Now I have a head ache.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
The following users liked this post:
GG06MR (Apr 21, 2019)
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I remember spammers were banned for this.
@MinusPrevious , time to clean up FROSTYQ's posts.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 05:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by FROSTYQ
use new style box blower\electric ram some will give 3psi buddy at will drawing 2.2 amps to just over just bout what your starter pulls.imo would be better to run short ram like old cowl induction reverse to negative air pocket right at base of windshield for best clean pull of air. Or if all MFG plastic guides and plates are still there sealed properly and not choked by their inline choke will pull cold air just fine. 89rs Camaro with box and cone inside the outlet of box and smoother pieces at the two worked fine did not ever effect mixture settings as long as pipe at maf nvr chgs it's fine. If do then just do math figure out how large you need for proper size maf and can still use MFG settings no change. I did it 5.0 thick walled RS 89 h.o. Camaro. Cone worked if I rammed it.
We should, at the very least, give @FROSTYQ a welcome aboard even though his bump post was over our heads, so to speak
Old Apr 21, 2019, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
We should, at the very least, give @FROSTYQ a welcome aboard even though his bump post was over our heads, so to speak
The following users liked this post:
GG06MR (Apr 21, 2019)
Old Apr 21, 2019, 06:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Morning Don. Happy Easter

Yeah, on board w/ya on those electric intake chargers. There is an electric system that does produce some HP but its super robust & needs a lot of battery back-up pwr to produce 5-8 PSI IIRC
Old Apr 21, 2019, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Happy Easter Joe. Electric motors don't have the energy to make any significant pressure. In addition, once an engine starts to draw air, these electric blowers start interfering the airflow and become a resistance like air filter. What's worse is that, up top, it can be a worse restriction that an air filter.

Remember, energy can't be created or destroyed. It can only be convert from one energy (kinetic) to another (heat). And un general, energy gets wasted as heat.

2A electric motor won't do anything to pressurize intake air.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 07:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This is the system that sparked some conversation about E-Superchargers

Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:43 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
At least I can read your guys' posts.

Last edited by kaj; Apr 22, 2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

This is the system that sparked some conversation about E-Superchargers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiHg5feKIU
That's a tiny motor. Even at 24V, and spinning at 55,000 rpm with zero load doesn't tell me what RPM it spins with 5 psi of back pressure. The challenge is, when an engine is ingesting air at 3000 rpm, (let's assume we are talking about a 2.0 engine, each revolution draws 1 liter of air), so at 3,000 rpm, that e-supercharger needs to flow 3,000 liters per minute, which is 50 liters per second. In addition, it has to suck all that air through an air filter and compress it to 5 psig, which is about 33% more air molecules. So assuming no air filter, it has to flow 67 liters of air per second. Running calcs, it has to flow about 48.2 feet of air per second through 3" opening (if that's the suction side's diameter). If it is smaller than 3", then it has to flow even more. I just don't see that tiny motor flowing enough air, even at 24V. As for our evos, this will definitely clog our airflow because our turbos will outflow that in no time.
Good luck powering a V8 using 2.2A.
Numbers don't add up. If it did, why don't we see car manufactures using these instead of a turbo or supercharger? It's so much cheaper (if it really works)!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 07:44 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FROSTYQ
use new style box blower\electric ram some will give 3psi buddy at will drawing 2.2 amps to just over just bout what your starter pulls.imo would be better to run short ram like old cowl induction reverse to negative air pocket right at base of windshield for best clean pull of air. Or if all MFG plastic guides and plates are still there sealed properly and not choked by their inline choke will pull cold air just fine. 89rs Camaro with box and cone inside the outlet of box and smoother pieces at the two worked fine did not ever effect mixture settings as long as pipe at maf nvr chgs it's fine. If do then just do math figure out how large you need for proper size maf and can still use MFG settings no change. I did it 5.0 thick walled RS 89 h.o. Camaro. Cone worked if I rammed it.
Do you have any actual scientific data to back any of these claims up?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 08:42 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
this sounds way over complicated. Just think about it a little higher level. A supercharger requires X amount of power from the engine to operate and produce more airflow than the engine. This is pretty easy to figure out. This number isn't low, its in the tens of HP at the very least. I know its actually going to be a lot more then 10 HP but lets just play with that. 10 HP is ~7.5KW of electricity (quick google converter). Some quick Ohms law gets you 7500/14=517 AMPS .
Old Apr 22, 2019, 09:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
this sounds way over complicated. Just think about it a little higher level. A supercharger requires X amount of power from the engine to operate and produce more airflow than the engine. This is pretty easy to figure out. This number isn't low, its in the tens of HP at the very least. I know its actually going to be a lot more then 10 HP but lets just play with that. 10 HP is ~7.5KW of electricity (quick google converter). Some quick Ohms law gets you 7500/14=517 AMPS .
If i understood the Vid correctly, the problem was the 2 xtra batteries that could not support the load properly. There was a link on his Vid for E-Turbos in which they noted a Lithium Ion battery is needed & would need a separate charge aside from the alternator system
Old Apr 22, 2019, 09:24 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If i understood the Vid correctly, the problem was the 2 xtra batteries that could not support the load properly. There was a link on his Vid for E-Turbos in which they noted a Lithium Ion battery is needed & would need a separate charge aside from the alternator system
Disclaimer, I didn't watch the vid, but electric superchargers have been on my radar for a while. It's my understanding as well that it would require EV level tech applied to the supercharger. So hundreds of volts and very complicated controller electronics. It could be done, but it would be very complicated. The weight could be an issue too.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 09:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Disclaimer, I didn't watch the vid, but electric superchargers have been on my radar for a while. It's my understanding as well that it would require EV level tech applied to the supercharger. So hundreds of volts and very complicated controller electronics. It could be done, but it would be very complicated. The weight could be an issue too.
Yeah, im just an interested observer. Will certainly never make it to one of my vehicles

Amazing how efficient an exhaust driven charger is

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!