Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Stick pulls out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Stick pulls out

My car (EVO7) did pulls out the oil stick (for measure the oil level..)
What can be the cause of it?
Thanks for any help.

Mario.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Are you saying the oil dip stick blew out? That means there is too much crankcase pressure. If you're running a catch can, make sure you have it hooked up correctly, and routed back into the intake system.

Buschur Racing sells a retaining spring to fix this problem as well.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put a spring on it.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...43e8ecdbbddeb9

Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I got my spring from Autozone, never had the issue, never will.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The spring deal is the most ghetto thing I've seen, not to mention you have to fiddle with it.. Buy one size thicker o-rings for the dip stick, that'll keep it in place.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

^ Umm ghetto? Ok. I don't have to fiddle. It's either on or off? No adjusting. If you don't like it then keep it to yourself.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A spring to hold the dipstick is just a Band-Aid for the underlying problem. You obviously have too much pressure in the crankcase which is a bad thing. I'd recommend a few things.

1. A new dipstick since your rubber seal has probably gotten hard.
2. A crankcase vacuum system: http://www.maperformance.com/map-cra...acuum-kit.html
3. Verify you don't have any blockage in your valve cover breather hose not not allowing pressure to escape.

Its possible your pistons rings aren't sealing properly or they're worn and are allowing excess blow-by. One advantage of those crankcase vents I linked to is improved piston ring sealing. This was incredibly noticable on my S2000 where I went from consuming 1 quart of oil every 2k miles (this is considered to be normal for the F20C engine) to consuming none between 5k mile oil change intervals after installing the vents.

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 7, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

^ PCV valve from MAP looks like the ticket for the cure.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

so your saying Buschur isnt smart enough to fix it, they just patch it up with a spring? Your an idiot, my ca has a catch can, set-up properly, new valve cover with NO blockages, and a new built motor and it still blew the dip-stick out when i forgot to put the spring on. the spring is one of the best fixes for the problem without dumping unnecessary money at it.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

The product makes sense for how the PcV system works, and is known to work. The spring is "cheaper". Looks like another Buschur fanatic. You guys are everywhere
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

^ Lol
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
A spring to hold the dipstick is just a Band-Aid for the underlying problem. You obviously have too much pressure in the crankcase which is a bad thing. I'd recommend a few things.

1. A new dipstick since your rubber seal has probably gotten hard.
2. A crankcase vacuum system: http://www.maperformance.com/map-cra...acuum-kit.html
3. Verify you don't have any blockage in your valve cover breather hose not not allowing pressure to escape.

Its possible your pistons rings aren't sealing properly or they're worn and are allowing excess blow-by. One advantage of those crankcase vents I linked to is improved piston ring sealing. This was incredibly noticable on my S2000 where I went from consuming 1 quart of oil every 2k miles (this is considered to be normal for the F20C engine) to consuming none between 5k mile oil change intervals after installing the vents.
Has anyone installed these on an Evo? Do they replace the current PCV valves or go in-line w/ the current valve?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed mine yesterday (Map Crankcase vent) Car actually driving a little cleaner. I didn't remove anything just added to the existing connections. Install for the manifold side was a bidatch and required me to remove the upper strut due to my gorilla hands lol
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
I just installed mine yesterday (Map Crankcase vent) Car actually driving a little cleaner. I didn't remove anything just added to the existing connections. Install for the manifold side was a bidatch and required me to remove the upper strut due to my gorilla hands lol
So what exactly does it do.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Keeps boost from being lost and entering the pcv system. And only allows a vacuum from the pcv. Supposedly better mileage, throttle response and power. I did notice the difference and I can pretty much feel anything major in my car...power loss /increase, timing being pulled etc...

Quick Reply: Oil Stick pulls out