Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SoundPerformance Quick Spool Valve???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
similar design has been in diesel truck applications. Its not 100% new. It does work, look into supraforums and supra community. By using a undivided manifold and twin scroll turbo it basically divides the A/R size. the way theres works is its controlled by a pressure switch or with a standalone to open at a certain boost level. I don't remember what the material is that its made out of but thats why they cost what they do..they will hold up to ridiculous temps.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a really simple version of making a vgt/vnt. The idea has been around for a long time. Not very efficient but it does help spool.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:49 PM

Anyone try one out yet on their EVO?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

I made a thread on this in ppb on nasioc, a subie tuner tested the valve on a subi, he said +1000 rpm of spool and made a 35r spool like a 30r but with an even larger top end as well
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

i posted a thread about this about 6months ago. not much intrest. I have also got a thread with back to back tests done on a F-Body (LS2 with rear-mounted T80). I'll post the link later.

Cheers

Chris.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by chuntington101
i posted a thread about this about 6months ago. not much intrest. I have also got a thread with back to back tests done on a F-Body (LS2 with rear-mounted T80). I'll post the link later.

Cheers

Chris.
Yes please do.

Some are hesitant about these but this technology/design has been used in diesels for quite sometime now. It's a brilliant innovation that I'm surprised more haven't gone with.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shea561
Yes please do.

Some are hesitant about these but this technology/design has been used in diesels for quite sometime now. It's a brilliant innovation that I'm surprised more haven't gone with.
here you go mate.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ke-graphs.html

I have heard of a few other V8 guys using it even in front mounts! I think as long as high grade stell is used ou should be fine. Def a great idea. would love tosee someone try one of these on a GT42rs size turbo.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
here you go mate.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ke-graphs.html

I have heard of a few other V8 guys using it even in front mounts! I think as long as high grade stell is used ou should be fine. Def a great idea. would love tosee someone try one of these on a GT42rs size turbo.
That is my buddy jeremy's Camaro. Mild bolt on stroker, with a s380. He wanted to try it on my car, but I didn't want to pony up the money for the valve. His car spools much faster on his transbrake with the valve in place. The hardest part was finding an actuator that opened at a low enough boost for him...since he ran out of turbine flow at ~17psi.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
That is my buddy jeremy's Camaro. Mild bolt on stroker, with a s380. He wanted to try it on my car, but I didn't want to pony up the money for the valve. His car spools much faster on his transbrake with the valve in place. The hardest part was finding an actuator that opened at a low enough boost for him...since he ran out of turbine flow at ~17psi.
Really??.... small world! lol i think one of the guys on the forum (LS1tech) is making the valves and they are much cheaper than the sound ones.

He said that they thought they could ge tthe turbo to transition even faster if they left the valve closed longer. I thinkl on his setup the valve started to open at 5psi and was fully open at 10psi of boost.

Cheers

Chris.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

what grade material are they using?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I am running a single scroll mani into a ts 30r. How much faster could it spool my turbo. I would love to buy one and try it but 450 is steep. Who on ls1tech makes them? Any more info out there yet?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:56 AM

^^Don't know who makes them on LS1tech I do believe SoundPerformance was the first to make them though.

If i remember correctly I read a 30r with the addition of the spool valve helped spool by like 400rpm or something like that.

Remember though turbo needs to be a divided housing.

I was really going to go this route but I'm just building a twin scroll mani. The way I looked at it is, not going with the spool valve is just one less mechanical part to potentially fail on me.
Old May 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

^ I do have a divided housing. It seems like a good buy but the price is hard to chew on. But 400 sooner would be nice. Thanks for the info.
Old May 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Great post and something that I have direct experience with. About 5 years ago I fabricated one of these spoolie jobbies for a good friend of mine and his GT42R powered 280Z. We did not originate the idea, but took it from some literature that we saw for diesel applications.

I fabricated the spoolie jobbie flange from mild steel and the used Hastoloy X for the shaft and flapper valve itself. I also machined the bushings from Hastoloy X. It was definitely a pain in the rear, but the piece came out very nice.

Initial testing showed promising results, but an effective actuator caused some problems. My buddy eventually got them resolved and the results were great. This should help all of those folks put to rest the full potential of the twin scroll debate.

Please click on the link below for some pics and dyno results using the spoolie jobbie!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?...1&#entry753679
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump for more info and/or test results. Someone with a big turbo on their Evo try this yet?

Quick Reply: SoundPerformance Quick Spool Valve???