Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 4-8 compressor housing modifications ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 4-8 compressor housing modifications ?

is there anything, that can be done ?
I have myself TD05HRA-16g6-10.5t 49178-01560 turbocharger and
I would like to use it on my other car.
hoping to get around 380hp / flywheel / 1.4bar boost ( 20-21psi )
I have heard, that the compressor housing is the main problem, but is there
any help, if I make it as large as I can ?
maybe also make the intake of it larger..
pressure side is only about 41mm ( that goes to intercooler )
and what I looked, it could be done to about 45-46mm .
evo 8 makes around 360hp / 1.5bar and evo 9 around 380hp / 1.5bar
with standard cams etc.. ( in Finland )
is it possible on my case.. car is 2.0 16v engine. cams are 240 degrees, with 9,57mm lift on both side. 3" exhaust all the way, one silencer, no cat.
big intercooler, custom mapping, manifold make to that turbo, maybe also better actuator and porting the turbine housing. etc...

or maybe just getting on ebay : td05hr 18g wheel and evo 4-8 housing for that ?
would that be good ?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you specify what your "other" car is please? Are you wanting to take an Evo turbo and adapt it to an entirely different car(Fiat)?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:06 AM

I have a Fiat coupe 16v turbo ( same motor as lancia delta integrale 16v )
and yes I wanna use mitsu turbo, because those are great ! and I have one already.
and of course theres gonna be new manifold, for mitsu turbo .
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Lots of porting can be done.
I've ported a diffuser cone into the compressor outlet of my IX turbo, the same could be done on an VIII turbo. I managed to get it to match the ID of a 2.25" tube. You blend the cone into the housing as far as you can and it makes a pretty shallow diffuser, I didn't measure it, but I bet it's 7 degrees or less. It's not perfectly circular though as I had to make small clearance portions to allow wrench clearance on the outlet pipe. The clearance notches blend smoothly into the circular tube over about 1.5" of tube travel. The factory gasket obviously won't work either once you do this, so lapped the flange surface on the housing and lapped the intercooler pipe flange then added a small amount of hondabond and bolted it together. It's been leak free thus far.
It increased outlet area over 50% from stock and also smoothed the transition to my LICP.

On the exhaust side, you can do some pretty heavy porting on the inlet and outlet. I ported mine so that the flow in the inlet is much more likely to go through the turbine wheel then out the wastegate. I did this with the intention of disabling the wastegate for maximum boost. On the outlet, I bolted up the stainless O2 housing and blended everything together on the turbine discharge to get it as smooth and continuous as possible. I actually removed a ton of material from the O2 housing to get stuff out of the flow path and to hopefully improve the flow path shape. With the factory turbine wheel though, you are pretty limited on what you can do for the outlet. With a larger turbine, like the Green and Reds, you could probably port in a nice diffuser. I also blended the wastegate port in the O2 housing to smoothly join the main pipe while keeping the opening as small as possible to avoid disturbing the main exhaust flow. Even ported like this though, I have zero boost creep issues on the IX turbo and stainless housing.

I have no baseline reference though as I changed a ton of other things when I did the porting and I'm not pushing the car all that hard to see what the limits are, so I have no idea if it made any improvement.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:52 AM

ok, thanks for the reply. pictures would be nice too ..
I have started making the compressor housing better.
I modify the intake, so when I put the hose to it, its better shape for maximum flow.
hard to explain in my English, but its taking the air easily, when the intake pipe is on to it. at the moment the outside of the compressor, that was only about 41mm is now about 50mm .