Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me choose what turbo would be best....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose what turbo would be best....

Now before I start, here are the three turbo's i'm considering: Fp green, 50 trim turbo kit, or a 35r turbo kit.

Now my current mods are:
Tbe, intake, xs fmic, injen intercooler pipes, bc 272 cams, walbro fuel pump, 10.5 hotside, forge dv, hallman mbc, megan o2 housing.
I plan on ordering an Smc alcohol kit and 1000cc injectors and running e85 when I order my turbo kit.

For now I don't plan on building my motor, but maybe in the next year or two I want to do a 2.3 stroker. And as far as racing, I mainly stick to drag. So what would be best and somewhat safe on the stock block? Thanks for any help
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know to run meth safely you really should have a build motor. so you dont have to worry. you get the turbo that meets your goals bro period. if you want to get alot of hp then the 35r is the correct choice slower spool but servers your goals. if you want faster spool then consider the other two choices dont forget the bbk even fp red is a great choice but again see how far you want to take this and the turbo part will be easy once you sit down and make a plan of action and a final goal
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rockman, whoever told you that the motor should be built to run meth is also on meth. If you are going to a 2.3 I'd go with a 35 for a drag setup. If you are poking around on the street I think the Red is the most economical way to go. Forget the green and the 50 trim. The Red is either equal to or cheaper than either.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I want a 35r, but people keep telling me not to if i'm going to be on the stock motor for awhile. Is it really that bad with just the stock motor? I mean, i'm sure it doesn't spool up at 3500 rpms but thats ok with me. And the evo isn't my dd
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

If you dont mind the extra lag, you might as well go 35R. You plan on going twin scroll or single scroll?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Depending who you ask you might hear lag is overrated. If you are planning the 2.3 down the road the lag will shorten. I'd suggest getting a ride in a 35R from a local.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I plan on buying this kit: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...olt-setup.html

Good kit?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

i know most people that run meth dont have built motors for it hence all the safe guards etc. thats why I said if you dont want to worry . anyways i dont plan to run it but if he is more power to him. Ill just stick with my red br stage 3 head etc. but yea if your doing the 2.3 knock yourself out sounds like you want the 35r then get it its your car do what you want. just hope you end up liking it and yea that taking a ride ideal sounds good to me if you have local evos around u i dont have that luxury so i have to do lots of research before i buy anything as ill be testing it with my ride lol
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

this thread will get locked, you should of used search............
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

maybe its just me but ill buy alot of things used but buying a used turbo to me is not coool even if there is no shaft play so they say. dont actually know how hard it was pushed i rather just get anew turbo everything else is debatable. But nothing wrong with it sounds like a good deal for that turbo. keep looking around may find something better
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monkey_187
this thread will get locked, you should of used search............
I've searched plenty. I know the whole "search" thing. But this is a question specifically for me and my setup. I love that you took the time to read through and then felt you had to post that.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by subrwho
I've searched plenty. I know the whole "search" thing. But this is a question specifically for me and my setup. I love that you took the time to read through and then felt you had to post that.
I didnt have to read the whole thing the title says it all, either way search is a great feature on EvoM you should try it.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monkey_187
I didnt have to read the whole thing the title says it all, either way search is a great feature on EvoM you should try it.
I'm sure he knows how to search. He's been a member a lot longer than you, with more posts. I'm sure half of his posts aren't telling other valued members to search, like yours.

You told Tephra to search.....haha.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII

You told Tephra to search.....haha.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

There's plenty of threads that have all the information you need about all the turbo's you mentioned. Don't expect us to make a decision for you, bc in the end you will be the one driving your evo.

Quick Reply: Help me choose what turbo would be best....