Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

twinscroll/singlescroll TURBO SHOOTOUT -- full-race / VE engineering / vivids dyno

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Freddy302
Mike,

Here is my old combo with the Tubular HTA3582 w/ .63 a/r, BF272 cams, TBE and Intercooler.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-s-w-meth.html

At 3450 lbs it went 11.1 @ 132 w/ 1.9 60ft.

I have a lot of interest in this thread and not trying to take sides... But I would like to see where the Twin Scroll results lead. Cause in my mind there is no reason what so ever for a stock turbo/FPred to work so well on a twin scroll. and the 42r setup to run twin scroll and make big power.. Why don't the mid/large fram 35r/37r benifit from the Twin Scroll all around as well.

I have some independent testing where I switched the from a T3 .82 a/r HTA86 to a TwinScroll T4 1.00 a/r. Both Garret Turbine Housing. I have only tested Pump gas so far.. But I only picked up a few Hundred RPM in spool and about 20-30 HP across the board with NO change in the Tune, just change in Hardware.And the change was done with in 5 days. I will post up results when I am done.
Now this is what I want to see.... i'm about to switch from a .68T4 to the same Garret T4 1.00 a/r housing that FP provides for the HTA86 as I have the same turbo.

Last edited by Migsubishi; Apr 24, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
solid lines are 40r and dotted lines are the hta, also, just wanted to note that the 40r was not fully tuned at that boost level, rather just wastegate pressure and minor tuning. next week the 40r will be tuned at high boost, probably around 35psi. this graph was more of a test run, which is why it was not taken further in rpms. the important thing to look at is the spool up, looks nice for such a large turbo huh
Just curious, from the sound of it you are running 28.8psi strictly off wastegate pressure? How many springs do you have in those Tials?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Just curious, from the sound of it you are running 28.8psi strictly off wastegate pressure? How many springs do you have in those Tials?
Probably a 1.4 and a .6 bar spring together.

As many as you can fit

Scorke
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Probably a 1.4 and a .6 bar spring together.

As many as you can fit

Scorke
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

scorke, i found in my tial wastegates that a 1.2 bar netted my setup almost 27 psi large red and small blue, it was supposed to be 18psi...on the dyno it settled to 23.5 psi and maxxing 25.xx, then almost 27 on the road...the blue 10psi spring got me 15psi on wastegate pressure alone on the road so i can see how you are getting that high a psi on wastegate spring pressure alone

Last edited by 555R; Apr 25, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 555R
scorke, i found in my tial wastegates that a 1.2 bar netted my setup almost 27 psi large blue and small red, it was supposed to be 18psi...on the dyno it settled to 23.5 psi and maxxing 25.xx, then almost 27 on the road...the blue 10psi spring got me 15psi on wastegate pressure alone on the road so i can see how you are getting that high a psi on wastegate spring pressure alone
I have about 22 psi of springs in my Tial 38 mm gate. On spring pressure I make about 1.5 bar. So pretty spot on.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Freddy302
in my mind there is no reason what so ever for a stock turbo/FPred to work so well on a twin scroll. and the 42r setup to run twin scroll and make big power.. Why don't the mid/large fram 35r/37r benifit from the Twin Scroll all around as well...I switched the from a T3 .82 a/r HTA86 to a TwinScroll T4 1.00 a/r. Both Garret Turbine Housing. I have only tested Pump gas so far.. But I only picked up a few Hundred RPM in spool and about 20-30 HP across the board with NO change in the Tune, just change in Hardware.And the change was done with in 5 days. I will post up results when I am done.
i strongly recommend using a 1.06 a/r t4 housing. the 1.00 is a bit too small for a normal 35R, let alone the higher flowing 7bladed hta compressor wheel

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Now this is what I want to see.... i'm about to switch from a .68T4 to the same Garret T4 1.00 a/r housing that FP provides for the HTA86 as I have the same turbo.
if youre getting a new housing, get the 1.06 a/r, not the 1.00!!!

yes, i put 2 springs in the WGs @ 26lbs per tial's chart. we couldnt get the mystery boost controller he had on the car to work right, so i installed in some stiff springs and put a simple manual controller on. i personally think the stiffer the wg spring the better...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
i strongly recommend using a 1.06 a/r t4 housing. the 1.00 is a bit too small for a normal 35R, let alone the higher flowing 7bladed hta compressor wheel

if youre getting a new housing, get the 1.06 a/r, not the 1.00!!!
Sure if you can get me one for $200 or less, other than that its not worth it.... The 1.00 a/r is still bigger than my .68 and Have you seen the flange work on those 1.06, I expect better quality when having to spend $410 shipped!!!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

edited my springs colors
im guessing my boost was so high for a 1.2 bar setup was from a low backpressure turbo
or Tial didnt color them right...hitting 27psi on the street was a little disconcerting and unsafe as it was tuned for 25 psi...however on the dyno it hit 25psi and when it warmed up settled to 23.5 which was fine...
i guess it shows the dyno isnt always the best place to tune as the loads are very different on the car
BTW
twin scroll and Borg Warner kicks ***
thanks Geoff

CRCAIN
I have twin 44m gates if that helps
Old May 7, 2009, 10:48 PM

Geoff,

Updates please
Old May 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

im on the east coast right now. On monday we're going up to Iveytune and will re-dyno this car:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...oll-gt35r.html

the only changes were adding a built 2.3L bottom end, and we went to the 1.10 a/r turbine housing on the borgwarner. ill be sure to post up the results afterwards. it will probably get a headgames ported head after this testing
Old May 8, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I guess I'll never understand how Buschur and AMS sell single scroll kits to most Evo owners, and Full-Race can't manage to put together a conclusive test showing why Buschur and AMS are doing it wrong. Come on Full-Race... it's called a "test"... you dyno a car, change one thing, and re-dyno it. GOT IT!

"Buschur 35R Shearer Kit" versus "Whatever Full-Race thinks can Hang with it"

It's that simple... spool for spool, who makes the most power.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
While that would prove who makes the superior kit, it wouldn't really prove if twinscroll > single scroll.

You have to realize, the different kits will have slightly different down pipes, intake pipes, intercooler pipe, etc. so a back to back comparision of anything less then an entire kit is more difficult then you want to admit.

Then people would be *****ing that it's not a fair comparision because XXXX changed... blah blah blah
Old May 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
While that would prove who makes the superior kit, it wouldn't really prove if twinscroll > single scroll.

You have to realize, the different kits will have slightly different down pipes, intake pipes, intercooler pipe, etc. so a back to back comparision of anything less then an entire kit is more difficult then you want to admit.

Then people would be *****ing that it's not a fair comparision because XXXX changed... blah blah blah
X2.

crcrain, stop *****ing please.

Scorke
Old May 8, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
I guess I'll never understand how Buschur and AMS sell single scroll kits to most Evo owners, and Full-Race can't manage to put together a conclusive test showing why Buschur and AMS are doing it wrong. Come on Full-Race... it's called a "test"... you dyno a car, change one thing, and re-dyno it. GOT IT!

"Buschur 35R Shearer Kit" versus "Whatever Full-Race thinks can Hang with it"

It's that simple... spool for spool, who makes the most power.
While I am hoping for more conclusive results as much as anyone, in the meantime it's unfair and inaccurate to say that Full-Race is trying to prove that "Buschur and AMS are doing it wrong." Geoff has never said anything here along the lines of single scroll being "wrong." Full-Race DOES sell single scroll kits too, after all.

Quick Reply: twinscroll/singlescroll TURBO SHOOTOUT -- full-race / VE engineering / vivids dyno