Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregGSC
Early shots, we will make a full post on it in a few days... pricing is going to be in the low to mid $3k and Our crank is actually a Fully Billet crankshaft not a forged unit..

Looking at the pictures of the crank you have kept the standard style oil drillings and not the straight shot oil feed to the main bearings,
Why have you done this as it will restrict the oil flow to the main bearings at high rpm unlike the straight shot.

Mark
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dsevo
Well I'm a little discouraged now because I talked to my tuner yesterday, and he told me that he's personally had 4 4G64 motors blow head gaskets in the last 2 years, all of which under 30 psi and built by a well known engine builder on evom. This just confuses me because I've read about other people who have never had an issue. One of my favorite things about my evo is its reliability, so I really don't want to do all of this work and have a motor that eats head gaskets every 6 months. When I call around, no one seems to have a definitive answer as to exactly what combination they've seen work reliably. I guess I need to do more homework.
What kind of head gaskets were they using? Many people have reported issues with Cometic gaskets which seem to be a popular choice on the 4G64's due to a small choice of available options.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
Simon Norris ... 1000 hp plus ... he does keep them stock bore ...
A noteworthy detail, and probably a wise choice.

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Many people have reported issues with Cometic gaskets which seem to be a popular choice on the 4G64's due to a small choice of available options.
And if a gasket sealing test provided by another member some time ago holds any merit, the Cometic item performed rather poorly as compared to the factory MLS and Cosworth parts.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark S
Looking at the pictures of the crank you have kept the standard style oil drillings and not the straight shot oil feed to the main bearings,
Why have you done this as it will restrict the oil flow to the main bearings at high rpm unlike the straight shot.

Mark
This question is coming from the seller of the most expensive 2.2 stroker kit in the world! Mark how long have you been selling your 2.2 kit?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
This question is coming from the seller of the most expensive 2.2 stroker kit in the world! Mark how long have you been selling your 2.2 kit?

about 7 years.

Mark
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of head gaskets were they using? Many people have reported issues with Cometic gaskets which seem to be a popular choice on the 4G64's due to a small choice of available options.
2 motors were built by RRE, and 2 were 2.3RR's. The blown gaskets were Cosworth, Cometic, a regular Felpro, and a super duper o-ring Felpro.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
2 motors were built by RRE, and 2 were 2.3RR's. The blown gaskets were Cosworth, Cometic, a regular Felpro, and a super duper o-ring Felpro.
That's really good, helpful info...thanks

Were any of those motors using the bigger headstuds that RRE now uses?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

That's really good, helpful info...thanks

Were any of those motors using the bigger headstuds that RRE now uses?
I know they were all using upgraded studs, but I don't know specifically which ones. I would assume that the RRE's were using oversized studs, and the AMS motors were using L19's since that's what they sell.

The only part that makes me think it could be made to work is that none of them were using head gaskets that people claim work well, which include Power Enterprises, HKS and SCE Titan. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Cometic gaskets suck, and I don't know about Felpro. The one that worries me is the Cosworth because they have a pretty good reputation.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mark S

Mark

GSC any reply?

Scorke
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone explain to me the oiling system as it relates the crank?

I think the bearings have holes on them, and the crank has holes, and I think the block has holes where the bearings sit? So how does this system flow exactly.. like from where to where?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
GSC any reply?

Scorke

He must have missed it.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Sounds like a DSM and not an Evo though. Something to keep in mind is that the metallurgy has changed in the DSM heads to the Evo heads, and even in the Evos the IX head is more rigid than the VIII.

Block prep and head prep are key, but I have been told that O-Rings are unneeded and this is from Marco who used to prefer the 2.4 in his racecar

Crcain, I was looking for the HKS but as of yet havent found the part number. Any leads? The other gasket I have seen that looks good is the Titan SCE full copper gasket. It now has embedded O-rings around the water passage so its looking really good.

There is a Power Enterprise gasket also as I recall. Marco suggested that the HKS was the one I wanted though.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Sounds like a DSM and not an Evo though. Something to keep in mind is that the metallurgy has changed in the DSM heads to the Evo heads, and even in the Evos the IX head is more rigid than the VIII.

Block prep and head prep are key, but I have been told that O-Rings are unneeded and this is from Marco who used to prefer the 2.4 in his racecar

Crcain, I was looking for the HKS but as of yet havent found the part number. Any leads? The other gasket I have seen that looks good is the Titan SCE full copper gasket. It now has embedded O-rings around the water passage so its looking really good.

There is a Power Enterprise gasket also as I recall. Marco suggested that the HKS was the one I wanted though.
All 4 were evo's. I am still gonna give it a try though. The more I've read the more I want to try the stock head gasket. FI motorspiorts ran one to 52psi and never had a problem. I am going to use l19 studs with a bored out stock evo hg and see what happens. I originally ordered the SCE but I had second thoughts. Even the guy at SCE told me 35psi would be the limit.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
I wouldnt bore a stock Evo Gasket unless you can get it in an 85.6mm to start with. Let me do some research since I have been lagging on that promise and I have motor to assemble as of yesterday afternoon as well

More to come.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I wouldnt bore a stock Evo Gasket unless you can get it in an 85.6mm to start with. Let me do some research since I have been lagging on that promise and I have motor to assemble as of yesterday afternoon as well

More to come.
Ok thanks, just let me know what you come up with. I am really concerned about getting the head to seal. I've looked everywhere for an HKS hg, but every one I find is 86mm bore. Even the HKS website only lists the 86mm so I don't know how people are using them for a 4G64. Unless they are actually a larger bore than listed. I can call HKS tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 4G64 Long Rod 2.2L Build