Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright man ill pm you the pics but i really rather hope thats the turbo not the engine or the heads man cause thats pretty expensive with the heads and getting a new block... nop its not leaking oil but the only place that had oil before i took it to the shop was on the headers...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Check for shaft play. The same thing happened to me. What kind of turbo are you running?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:44 AM

im running on a white rabbit
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:34 PM

the color of my oil

Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Piston ring blowby is blowing your dipstick out. It does not sound like the pistons were installed correctly with the rings.

For the record, you have a 4 cylinder inline which has a head, not heads. V6 and V8 engines have heads, Subaru boxer engines have heads. One head buddy.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Piston ring blowby is blowing your dipstick out. It does not sound like the pistons were installed correctly with the rings.

For the record, you have a 4 cylinder inline which has a head, not heads. V6 and V8 engines have heads, Subaru boxer engines have heads. One head buddy.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...c777bface01655

Could be many things. If you had the problem before and it is still doing it then it could be one of the other things mentioned. Just work through it and eliminate the cheaper solutions first.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the dipstick retention spring is the answer to the symptoms exhibited by the car.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have a couple of issues, 1) if oil is milky--thats a head gasket. 2) you do have excess blow by--could be headgasket related--ie turbo pressure blow by into the engine causing dip stick to come out.. 2) check the PVC as suggested...if you put a catch can on..look that install over. 3) you have a cat? or cat delete?. If no cat--the car will have excess emissions and black smoke, with blk residue on the tail pipe and back of the car.--pu the cat back on, but address the other issues listed before hand
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Yes the dipstick retention spring is the answer to the symptoms exhibited by the car.
You really are simple aren't you? Look at my unedited reply. It says look at the other possible causes before jumping the gun and assuming the worst. Its best to eliminate the simple things first and do things in order. The spring retention link was to say that it is a common problem and may or may not be part of a bigger problem. I would do as I and others suggested and look at pvc and shaft play first. Work from there and not just assume its the pistons as you tried with me. My pistons were fine

To the op, best of luck and I hope its a simple fix....

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Mar 17, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

install the dipstick retention spring! Also once your car warms up idling does it still spit oil? Mine does the same at start up but once the oil pressure drops due to the engine warming up it stops. Your car sounds fine to me. Mine did the same!! my piston rings were looser and now I'm installing tighter rings but, I didn't notice any loss of power!! Perform a compression check to rule out the rings!!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:26 PM

alright ill do that.. well the car still runs good and strong no difference in the performance
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

It looks/sounds like a headgasket to me. Driving the car in that condition would have me worried about the bearings.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to know the status of this thread. I think his car may have been fine, Mine always spits bit's of oil at start-up and it'll stop once she warms up. Also the dipstick renention spring was needed at 30 punds of boost!
Old May 8, 2009, 09:49 PM

well it only throws all that oil when i boost up the turbo.. and when i turn it off steam comes out of the exhaust for ex. when you turn of a candle you see that smoke coming off its like that when the smoke comes out from my exhaust. im pushing 24 lbs of boost
Old May 9, 2009, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

ok well then it could be your turbo or your rings? usually once the car's warmed up the oil is burned not spit out, but you will see lot's of carbon. It's hard to tell you should have someone look at it it should be easy for a shop to troubleshoot.

Quick Reply: smoke coming from exhaust