Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question on stock air box modding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on stock air box modding

Hey

This is a border line ricer question but trying to keep a clean install at the same time.

Anyway looking to cut up my air box a little bit. Here are two examples of what I was looking at.

Name:  evoforgelines004.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  111.0 KB

Just like this but probably without the carbon fiber insert and maybe throw some black chicken wire over the cutout area to make it look a little cleaner and less of a gaping hole.

Here is the other one.

Name:  IMG_2673.jpg
Size:  108.5 KB

Now personally I like the 2nd one much better due to the fact it isn't a big hole that is the first thing you notice when you pop the hood. And here is where the ricer part in me and this thread comes out. Has anyone with these modded tops tried it out in comparison without the lid. I ran down the street without my lid on and I want it to sound like that but with the modded cover on top. Does the second pic come close to the sound level increase or would I need to open it up like the first one.

Gay question I know but yeah I asked it anyway. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi there, don't know if you mod the box yet but I will share my experience with you. I did it like the second picture, and the sound is not the same as when there is no lid (actually I didn't hear anything with just the hole on the side) so I went ahead and cut the top and back also, you can check one of my threads for pics, I added a mesh and it looks awesome, sounds awesome, and drives awesome, definately do it (and buy a spare lid, just in case ) good luck
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
If you are after performance cut as much as you can. Back in the day i had my lid hacked ala Blitz. It would get wet in the rain if the louvers werent in but other than it worked and made the most power of any cutting I did on the stock airbox.

Name:  100_9437.jpg
Size:  90.0 KB

We have tested it on the dyno between full box and completely open with no filter and there was a 24whp swing. Proving less restrictive is definitely better I think
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

when I was running with the stock airbox I would just take the lid off all together.
The filter never moved and it never got wet either.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
If you are after performance cut as much as you can. Back in the day i had my lid hacked ala Blitz. It would get wet in the rain if the louvers werent in but other than it worked and made the most power of any cutting I did on the stock airbox.

We have tested it on the dyno between full box and completely open with no filter and there was a 24whp swing. Proving less restrictive is definitely better I think
AWESOME!!! I knew my butt dyno wasn't lying, I felt the power increase, I modified the lid so it can still take the snorkel to send fresh air in, and also protect the filter from big bugs, leaves, rocks or anything that might enter the engine compartment, then I tested it to see if water gets in, and the answer is no

Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

I like this mod better

Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evoardo IX, very nice way you modified your stock air box. The cutting of the box and the wire mesh are very cleanly done.

Here's my take on my stock air box. I modified my air box to accept a second K & N filter on the side. That filter gets a straight shot of air into the MAF. I also have a drop in K & N in the stock location. This mod allows me to maintain 24 psi until redline with my FP White. Once the box is bolted back in the engine compartment, everything looks completely stock.

StealthAirBoxModfoweb-1.jpg?t=1225157492

StealthAirBoxModfoweb-2.jpg?t=1225157554

Last edited by EvoTio; Mar 19, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Skip the b/s and just get a cone filter
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice big-breathing, camoulflaged box, EvoTio. A+ for ingenuity. I like it............
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
The ultimate stock air box modification by MalibuJack:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...irbox-mod.html

Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Evoardo IX, very nice way you modified your stock air box. The cutting of the box and the wire mesh are very cleanly done.

Here's my take on my stock air box. I modified my air box to accept a second K & N filter on the side. That filter gets a straight shot of air into the MAF. I also have a drop in K & N in the stock location. This mod allows me to maintain 24 psi until redline with my FP White. Once the box is bolted back in the engine compartment, everything looks completely stock.
Thanks a lot, I saw your box on lancerregister, the guys over there love your setup and you know what, I might want to try it, you mind sharing with us a little more detail as to what filter, bracket, etc etc you used? I was thinking with your setup you could aditionally add a duct/pipe to get some air from the front bumper (right around where the horn is on the left) and send a straight charge of cold air to that side of the box. I bet your setup makes the turbo/DV even louder
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Whats up EvoTio. I met you at Famoso. I was the guy with the other AS VIII. I recognized your modified intake from when i saw it there. Take Care
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

dont cut up the stock box, just buy my Blitz setup, only 80shipped! nice and shiny

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...er-filter.html
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoIXcencal83
Whats up EvoTio. I met you at Famoso. I was the guy with the other AS VIII. I recognized your modified intake from when i saw it there. Take Care
Hey, yeah I remember. Nice to have met you. BTW, my turbo failed on my last run that I made and had to limp home back to L.A .
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
The ultimate stock air box modification by MalibuJack:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...irbox-mod.html

Yes that and Boltz's set up is a very nice way to go. I couldn't source that small air filter (everyone was sold out), so I took a different approach. Was cheaper to .

Quick Reply: Question on stock air box modding