Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

i think my clutch master cylinder went bad!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think my clutch master cylinder went bad!

Hey guys

tonight i decided to change out my stock clutch line for my SS clutch line and after the install was done i went to bleed the system and a few pumps into it my wife tells me that their is no pressure on the pedal anymore. everytime the pedal would go start to the floor and stay there. everytime i would open the vent on the slave cylinder it would kinda spit a little and thats it. one thing i noticed upon removal of the stock line is that as soon as i disconnected one side there was no fluid coming out of anywhere. i would have expected it to leak fluid everywhere until the connections were secured again. so after trying to figure out what was going on. i pulled of the rubber hose going from the brake booster to the clutch master cylinder and it to was dry and nothing was coming out of the brake booster nipple (which the rubber hose was connected to) i took a small funnel and prop it in the rubber hose feeding the clutch master cylinder some brake fluid just to see if it would charge and regain some pedal feel and no luck!

has anyone had this happen to them?? it was running fine until tonight and i had changed out my clutch about 3 weeks ago without having any complicatons with this. i guess tomorrow i'll be heading advance to see it they have one in stock.

this sucks thank god i'm on leave for another 6 days

Last edited by vmrevo9; Mar 18, 2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this exact same thing just happened to me tonight.... any answers?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

i dont know but i think after 20700 miles and more than a few track launches and runs plus a new clutch install. it didnt want to play anymore. i just called around here to see if anyone had one and of course no one did so i had to order it. i actually ordered both the master and the slave just in case.

bump for anyone that might have some insight on this maybe even some pointers for install of the new parts!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pull the clutch pedal up by hand, fill the resevoir, crack the nipple on slave cylider, drain until no air (keeping an eye on the resevoir, keeping it full), close the nipple, done. If you want to pump the clutch pedal, you must do it by hand (up and down). There's no presure so it can't force it up for you. I think That should help. Oh, if the resevoir goes dry, bleed brakes too.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

i knew there wouldnt be any pressure in the pedal and we were pumping it by hand but what got me was that there was no improvement with the bleeding process.

i talked to CGroovy2k2 and he exprienced the same thing and told me what i needed to do. he showed me the Evomoto writeup on this and i went and purchased a speedbleeder and redid the whole process. the bleeders i got were kinda crappy but they did the job! i now have pedal pressure. i have bleed a clutch line before but this is the first time that it was so picky! i guess since i removed a line this time made it a bit different. the key thing was not to open the bleeder all the way like i was doing. just open it enough to where u hear the air coming out and thats it.

thanks CGroovy2k2 and evomoto

krayzeviet
if you have any questions let me know!

here is the link to evomoto
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...=3_4&tech_id=4

Last edited by vmrevo9; Mar 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the link i'll read it tonight
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:22 PM

i hate to bring this thread back. but i need some advice on what to do......i even removed my clutch line and the master cylinder wont allow anything through barely any fluid is coming out but once i remove the upper hose alot comes out. can it be clogged?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I think the previous posters were drowning im a cup of water. Their problems happened after they did their work so obviously the problem didn't exist before, anyway. Just bleed bleed bleed.

1. Fill up the master cylinder
2. Go to the slave cylinder first
3. Pump the clutch pedal 5-6 times (it might require you to pick it up with your hand a few times since there is no pressure)
4. Hold pedal down--then open slave cylinder bleeder valve,,,close then repeat.
5. Do the same process with the actual master slave cylinder until needed.

You will need two people for this.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Let me know what happens, I'm curious.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

key thing to remember and this is what helped me. when opening the bleeder valve only crack it open! so pretty much a quarter of a turn if that, and keep at it!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hate to bring this thread back up but I am curious if I have busted my clutch cylinder. I bleed the brakes and everything was going fine.

I went to bleed the clutch and it was working at first then it simply hit the floor. I was very careful to make sure to quickly and fully shut the bleeder valve. It is now not pulling fluid from the resevoir.

I took the line off apart where it connects underneath the battery tray. There was no fluid coming out. I went and manually pump the clutch and checked and there was only a little fluid that came through the line onto the t-case but was not even dripping when I checked. Very minimal fluid came out and the resevoir seems untouched.

With my brakes I would need to add a little more fluid after each caliper.

I can not get any pressure in the in line.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
Hate to bring this thread back up but I am curious if I have busted my clutch cylinder. I bleed the brakes and everything was going fine.

I went to bleed the clutch and it was working at first then it simply hit the floor. I was very careful to make sure to quickly and fully shut the bleeder valve. It is now not pulling fluid from the resevoir.

I took the line off apart where it connects underneath the battery tray. There was no fluid coming out. I went and manually pump the clutch and checked and there was only a little fluid that came through the line onto the t-case but was not even dripping when I checked. Very minimal fluid came out and the resevoir seems untouched.

With my brakes I would need to add a little more fluid after each caliper.

I can not get any pressure in the in line.

Any ideas?
What technique are you using to bleed the clutch? Not the same as bleeding brakes correct? No pumping, cause that doesn't work.

With clutch bleeding, unless you have a speed bleeder or power bleeder you will need two people to be most effective.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
What technique are you using to bleed the clutch? Not the same as bleeding brakes correct? No pumping, cause that doesn't work.

With clutch bleeding, unless you have a speed bleeder or power bleeder you will need two people to be most effective.
Yes I had attempted to do it the same way as the brakes. I had my girl friend helping me. It was going fine until the pedal lost all feeling. At first it was simply dropping to the floor but would regain feeling. Fluid came out and then nothing. The fluid stopped coming and the pedal is limp. Now all I get is air. The resevoir is not going down in level. The tube connected to the bleeder will get a tiny bit of fluid maybe a 1/4 inch and then it is just air.

Any insight would be appreciated. I am thinking that I might have to replace the clutch master cylinder.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Best way really is to, have some one push the clutch pedal down fully. Then crack open*the bleeder, about a
quarter turn. Then close bleeder and have person pull pedal back up. Keep repeating this the exact way till u feel the pedal getting stiffer. Don't pump the clutch pedal either. Even if the pedal is soft right now it will get stiffer. Just make sure you follow the technique above and that the fluid is always topped off. Keeping doing so till you no longer see bubbles in the clear tube. Then you should be good.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for you help. The mistake was pumping at first then even though the resevoir looked full it was not up high enough. Filling it up to the neck helped.

Quick Reply: i think my clutch master cylinder went bad!