Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

CBRD BBK or Red for 2.3 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRD BBK or Red for 2.3 stroker?

Well I had decided that I wanted to go with the CBRD BBK fo r my car when I could, but I've recently decided to jump on a great deal for a 2.3 stroker. I haven't run across much info on this turbo on a 2.3 stroker. I kinda like the idea of running the BBK for uber quick spooling, but not sure how it would do up top. Would I just be better off going with the Red instead? Just kinda wondering what you guys thought.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

I would go with the RED on that 2.3.....better top end than the BBK and more possibility for high boost power since you have a built block already.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I'd really like to see how the BBK does on a setup like this. Just dont want to regret the decision.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

You will have more possibility with the RED, I have yet to see a 500whp BBK, not doubting with the right mods and fuel it couldn't but the difference in horsepower with a built block will far be surpassed by it(RED). Besides on pump you will get around the same numbers, on race gas forget about it.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BBK is a great turbo.. I have a buddy of mine with one.. however with the 2.3 You really need to understand the direction you want to take it. Spooling won't be a factor in either turbo.. The BBK will spool just like a stock Turbo, and the Red will spool just as fast a BBK would on a 2.0 engine.

If you honestly plan on putting more power down which how I see it.. it appears want to. I would seriously go for the RED.. unless you're getting a sick deal for a BBK.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^Agreed, I went with the Tomei because I was on stock block...now if I had a built block I would have definitely gone for the RED.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Considering your going with a 2.3, there's no reason not to go with the red. The only advantage the bbk has is slightly faster spool, with alot less power. On a 2.3 the spool up will be a non issue. It will spool as fast as the bbk you planned on using for your 2.0. And can make 550 plus.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

red fosho mo powah
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:23 AM
Former Sponsor

im building a 2.3 on red , hey buschur is also on the same build , in my opinion the red on 2.3 should be a killer street evo
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like i'll probrobly go Red unless I get convinced that the BBK is a better idea. It will probrobly be a bit till I can get the turbo since the 2.3 is gonna dry up the funds for a bit so maybee there will be a few more BBK 2.3 results by then.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Everyone talks about topend horse power numbers and forgets about the midrange power and torque response. I would much rather have a car with a fatter midrange curve then a "gotta rev it out the backend" car. Reds will be more inclined to be that way. The BBK will be a titty twister with the 2.3 ..... early punch and pull. Both would be nice builds but the BBK would be my choice.

Last edited by whtrice; Mar 28, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since he's going with a 2.3 he's going to have all the low end/torque that it doesnt matter what turbo he decides to go with. Only thing it really depends on is how much boost he is going to run daily, and what fuel. Obviously it being a 2.3 its built so theres not much you cant do.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's all about what you want to do with the car ... Facts are known about BBK and Red. What range, what topend, how fast the spool is. It's only up to you to decide how you love to drive the car.

It's always a compromise, otherwise we'd all be running 42r's.

P.S. Good luck with whatever you decide, it's goin to be a killer either way

Last edited by Toxin; Mar 28, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol i was on the fence once about which one to get red or bbk. My choice was made when i sent emails to both companies twice and only one of them responded then i got offered a stupid sick one time offer below invoice deal on a brand new fp red and here i sit today with a red not installed but least i have one. i was thinking about going 2.3 as well just so i can get as much out this turbo as it can squeeze out but what for i keep asking myself a built 2.0 will still get the job done. im going to wait to see some of these 2.3 red builds to see the final results.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

thats a very tough question. you also need to ask what kind of gas you are going to run. The red loves 30+ psi but you need meth or e85 for that. Not to many people have pushed a bbk that high so the info isn't that for that. I have seen a chart on evom of a 2.3 red having like 350 torque at around 3500rpms which i think is great. i don't rememer the gas but that sounds awesome. There is a graph of a 2.3 bbk lite that im pretty sure made rediculous numbers as well. This is probably the question i ask myself every day around lunch time when im thinking of my dream 2.3 build lol.

Quick Reply: CBRD BBK or Red for 2.3 stroker?