Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hallman MBC Problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Hallman MBC Problem

Some quick background-

I installed my new Hallman Pro Kit (on the stock 16g turbo) and I am only seeing 16 PSI boost with the knob turned all the way.

Here is what I did to trouble shoot:

1) Boost leak test - none
2) Turned the knob on the controller all the way down, only to get 16 PSI (Yes I was turning it the correct way, clockwise) -- *EDIT*
3) Changed the vacuum hoses and made sure everything was zip tied
4) Switched the vacuum hoses around, when I did this I only saw wastegate pressure, 11 PSI
5) I plugged the vacuum line going from my MBC to my boost source and left my wastegate open to atmosphere and it boosted without issue.
6) On my Apexi AVC-R electronic boost controller, I was able to run well over 16 PSI - (22-23 PSI)....I just hated configuring the duty cycles, that's why I switched the Hallman

Is there another spring I am supposed to have with the kit? Do I only have the light spring?

I would like to run my boost at 25 PSI but cannot boost above 16 PSI.

FWIW, This is the spring I have with the kit now:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Apr 16, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i would think they would give you a heavier spring, i got one with my forge and i believe they come with hallman too.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
..I installed my new Hallman Pro Kit....and I am only seeing 16 PSI boost with the knob turned all the way.... Turned the knob on the controller all the way up only to get 16 PSI (Yes I was turning it the correct way)
What do you mean by, "the correct way", and, "all the way up"? FYI, to get max boost, you should crank it all the way in, or down, clockwise. Is this, in fact, what you did?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
What do you mean by, "the correct way", and, "all the way up"? FYI, to get max boost, you should crank it all the way in, or down, clockwise. Is this, in fact, what you did?
+1
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, this is correct, I turned the knob clockwise, the way the + sign faces to add more boost.

-Bink
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may very well be that your wastegate actuator is not preloaded at all and thus is set to open at base wastegate pressure(10-11 PSI).

Route a length of 4mm vacuum hose directly from your boost reference source(compressor outlet nipple, or intake manifold/DV "T") to the nipple on your WGA. Increase boost by rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the threaded actuator rod inward, which effectively shortens actuator rod length, thus increasing WG spring pressure. Preload the WG to between 14-17 PSI and then you can increase from that point on up to your target boost level with your MBC.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

It may very well be that your wastegate actuator is not preloaded at all and thus is set to open at base wastegate pressure(10-11 PSI).

Route a length of 4mm vacuum hose directly from your boost reference source(compressor outlet nipple, or intake manifold/DV "T") to the nipple on your WGA. Increase boost by rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the threaded actuator rod inward, which effectively shortens actuator rod length, thus increasing WG spring pressure. Preload the WG to between 14-17 PSI and then you can increase from that point on up to your target boost level with your MBC.
Cool, I didn't know the stock wastegate was adjustable. Is this something you normally have to do with a MBC?

Thanks!

-Mike
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Any other thoughts before I ship the MBC out to verify its OK?

Thanks

-Bink
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
An MBC is a very simple part. It is unlikely that there is a manufacturing problem with the MBC. Did you install the heavy spring that comes with the MBC?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
An MBC is a very simple part. It is unlikely that there is a manufacturing problem with the MBC. Did you install the heavy spring that comes with the MBC?
The MBC only came with one spring, which was installed already.

-Bink
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

How are your lines routed? Did you use all new lines that wouldn't have any restrictor pills in them. Does boost change no matter how far in or out the knob is?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
How are your lines routed? Did you use all new lines that wouldn't have any restrictor pills in them. Does boost change no matter how far in or out the knob is?
Lines for the BOV / MBC share a line (they are T'ed) go right to my intake manifold.

I used brand new vacuum lines from Autozone, they have no restrictions in them.

Yes, the boost will change from 11 PSI turned all the way up to 16 PSI turned all the way down.

-Bink
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hallman makes two springs for their MBCs. They both come in the kit (that I got). Maybe yours was missing, or you got a lower priced kit that comes with only one spring. Either way, I'd check with Hallman and confirm which spring you have in your MBC, then get the heavier one if you have the light one only.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I hooked mine up to the WGA & Turbo nipple and had the same issue - I changed to the heavier (supplied) spring and had to turn it many times clockwise to get the boost up to 21/22 psi.

Best of luck!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Hallman makes two springs for their MBCs. They both come in the kit (that I got). Maybe yours was missing, or you got a lower priced kit that comes with only one spring. Either way, I'd check with Hallman and confirm which spring you have in your MBC, then get the heavier one if you have the light one only.
Hrmm I thought the Hallman Pro Kit was the Pro kit and it just had the heavy spring in it. I know the pro RX has two springs in it.

I hooked mine up to the WGA & Turbo nipple and had the same issue - I changed to the heavier (supplied) spring and had to turn it many times clockwise to get the boost up to 21/22 psi.

Best of luck!
Thanks man

I spoke to Emery at Street Tuned Motorsports today and he wants me to send it back to him, so he can check it out.

Thanks Guys......If you have anymore ideas before I send it out let me know. I'll post back to let you know what ends up happening anyways....

-Bink

Quick Reply: Hallman MBC Problem