Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broken spark plug, head damage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So would it be better if I ran 1 step colder plugs or does that not have anything to do the physical heating of the cylinder head?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slight chance you just have a low #2 compression and it just happens to be same cyl with a weak plug strap that broke off under mild detonation and was sent out across turbine and out tailpipe (or stuck in cat).

You could try this to help diagnose if compression testing does not convince you enough: Put some new copper plugs in, warm engine to about 150F, start in 2nd gear and go WOT from 3000 to redline then immediately stop and cut engine. Pull plugs right where you stopped and read. Cut off the metal from bottom of plug exposing all ceramic surfaces. You will see a ring that tells you temps in the area. Never did this myself though.

Colder plugs tranfer more heat allowing more protection from preignition. It will not stop detonation though
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Slight chance you just have a low #2 compression and it just happens to be same cyl with a weak plug strap that broke off under mild detonation and was sent out across turbine and out tailpipe (or stuck in cat).

You could try this to help diagnose if compression testing does not convince you enough: Put some new copper plugs in, warm engine to about 150F, start in 2nd gear and go WOT from 3000 to redline then immediately stop and cut engine. Pull plugs right where you stopped and read. Cut off the metal from bottom of plug exposing all ceramic surfaces. You will see a ring that tells you temps in the area. Never did this myself though.

Colder plugs tranfer more heat allowing more protection from preignition. It will not stop detonation though
I would do that test but it seems the best way to do it was if you had a dyno because I dont want to be on the side of the highway changing plugs lol but thanks for the idea.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the usual way of reading spark plugs.

It has been suggested that you do a leak down test to check your current motor condition. Either you have a present problem, or you don't. Other people responding have given you suggestions to find out if you are running lean in at least one cylinder, which caused your spark plug to burn off. You are free to take their advice, or ignore it. It may be that you just had a faulty plug. It may be a coincidence that that cylinder was lower in compression. You have to decide how much time and effort you want to invest to confirm your situation.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CNano8
I would do that test but it seems the best way to do it was if you had a dyno because I dont want to be on the side of the highway changing plugs lol but thanks for the idea.
Oops, I meant to say "cut ignition, remove plugs and place in pocket (might be warm), put another set in, drive home, inspect plugs.

Nevertheless, this is just if leak down does not imply anything conclusive.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by co_vr4
if the car is running fine, put in the new correct plugs and keep running it.

If you're truly ****, repeat the compression test. Do a leak down test if you want to confirm condition of the valves, etc. Take a look with a borescope if you want to see whether there was any damage from the loss of the single spark plug partial electrode. I'd not worry too much about it, unless you're having problems...
+1
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
That is the usual way of reading spark plugs.

It has been suggested that you do a leak down test to check your current motor condition. Either you have a present problem, or you don't. Other people responding have given you suggestions to find out if you are running lean in at least one cylinder, which caused your spark plug to burn off. You are free to take their advice, or ignore it. It may be that you just had a faulty plug. It may be a coincidence that that cylinder was lower in compression. You have to decide how much time and effort you want to invest to confirm your situation.
Yeah im just going to do a leak down test and see what it comes up with. Just trying to get some worst case scenario stuff planned out.