Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

pulling my motor... help...

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
You do NOT need to drop the subframe...Pull the t-case, obviously drop the bar with the tranny motor mount on it, then hoist the motor down easily onto something soft. When motor and tranny are on the ground, jack/hoist the front of the car up high enough to get the motor out from the bottom. It's easy.

I dropped mine on a creeper to slide it out, basically ruined the creeper:
dont look too bad i do plan on keeping my a/c tho... but im sure i can ziptie it out of the way...

Originally Posted by Bggstin
I would honestly say that after doing this many times, if you do not have a lift then it would be much easier to just pull it up and out with the hoist...its not that bad.
your sayin remove tcase and pull the trans\motor as one or separate the motor and pull it by itself???
Old May 7, 2009, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

Ive always pulled it out of the top, its easy. You can keep the whole motor in tact, obviously remove everything tho, wiring harness, oil and coolant lines, shifter cables ect... pull it out at an angle and it will come straight up.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:49 PM

so which is easier to do,
1: pull out from top with hoist, do you remove the transfer case or does the whole assembly comes out with it at an angle
or
2: pull the transfer case and drop below and pull from under the car, how easy is the transfer case taken off,

thanks
Old May 7, 2009, 11:12 PM
Account Disabled

Ive never taken it from the bottom because I dont have a lift, and you have to lift the car pretty high if your going from the bottom Just pullout the cv axles unbolt the trasfer case and seperate it and let it sit there. Then pull the motor from the top, you have to pull the hood off obviously.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
Ive never taken it from the bottom because I dont have a lift, and you have to lift the car pretty high if your going from the bottom Just pullout the cv axles unbolt the trasfer case and seperate it and let it sit there. Then pull the motor from the top, you have to pull the hood off obviously.
trans too????
Old May 8, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it should be easier to disconnect tranny if you want to pull it out from the top
Old May 8, 2009, 09:07 AM
Account Disabled

I've never had a problem pulling it from the top with the tranny still attached.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

is it more difficult with an ACD equipped evo? Do u have to worry about bleeding the ACD or some ****? Do u have to bring it to the dealer to have it bled?
Old May 8, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

ok.... so i pulled the sub-frame (once you remove the axles its only a few more steps to pull the sub frame + it gives you so much room... marking the steering shaft obviously), tcase, intake manifold ,front and rear mount , engine harness, separated the TOB, IC piping , ect........... the only thing holding the motor now is the timing mount & trans mount... im pulling it out the top... heres my plan of attack - lower the trans side a bit to remove the mount & hook up one lead from my hoist , and put some pressure on it .. then hook up the other lead to the timing side of my motor/remove mount. so the whole thing sits at a small slant , the out the top she comes.... i'll be sure to let you know how it goes, i had to stop for the day due to rain....boooo!!! any hints let my know... thanks guys....
Old May 8, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

I pulled the transfercase and pulled the motor and tranny from the top in my garage. I wanted to reinstall the motor with it completely intact. (head, timing belt, etc)
Old May 8, 2009, 04:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by njvlllrs
ok.... so i pulled the sub-frame (once you remove the axles its only a few more steps to pull the sub frame + it gives you so much room... marking the steering shaft obviously), tcase, intake manifold ,front and rear mount , engine harness, separated the TOB, IC piping , ect........... the only thing holding the motor now is the timing mount & trans mount... im pulling it out the top... heres my plan of attack - lower the trans side a bit to remove the mount & hook up one lead from my hoist , and put some pressure on it .. then hook up the other lead to the timing side of my motor/remove mount. so the whole thing sits at a small slant , the out the top she comes.... i'll be sure to let you know how it goes, i had to stop for the day due to rain....boooo!!! any hints let my know... thanks guys....

looks like your way took you a while...I can pull my whole motor out intact in less than 2 hours and thats taking my time and drinking some beer.

There is absolutely no need to drop the subframe. I always leave the intake manifold on as well.

Last edited by Dapper Dan; May 8, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
looks like your way took you a while...I can pull my whole motor out intact in less than 2 hours and thats taking my time and drinking some beer.

There is absolutely no need to drop the subframe. I always leave the intake manifold on as well.
im aware you can leave in the tcase and sub frame!... it just made it much easier for me doing this by my lonely to take it out .... and after you pull the axles , what is it 6 bolts , steering pinion and two lines??? not bad at all..i worked from noon till 3:30ish by myself before the sky opened up, and took many smoke breaks aswell prob have another 20 min in her before the motors out.. and im not flat-rating this job so no need to do it in 2 hours (im not even sure if thats humanly possible by yourself)

i just took the easiest way for me.... thanks for the input
Old May 9, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

smoking is bad for u. I heard it can give u cancer. =)
Old May 9, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

you can pull the motor and tranny out no problem. check out these pics. I left transfercase in the engine bay and pulled the motor and tranny out from top. I left trans connected to motor. The tob release pissed me off last time so i figured id do it out of the car this time. When you pull the motor/tranny up just angle the trans downa nd you wont have a problem.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-i-come-3.html
Old May 10, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

well its out, and thats all that matters .... it was not bad , finished pulling it this morning... friday is my day off , so thats when i'll drop it off to the machine shop...

Quick Reply: pulling my motor... help...