Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! my EVO feels slow...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! my EVO feels slow...

I just tried a friend's Evo 7 today, it definitly felt faster than mine. His car has such a strong pull, and I could feel the pull as early as 3500rpm. Wow...is that what the Evo supposed to be like? When I drive my car again it felt like the turbo is not generating as much power as his. We both have the same stock car except a turbo gauge, and we hit same max boost(14.5 psi Japan spec). What could be wrong with my car?

Called a few garages and they all just trying to sell me mbc, ebc, bov... I'm sure those mods will increase horsepower, but I want to find out what really is wrong in the first place.

Suggestions please!
Old Sep 30, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

the stock JDM evo 7 has been dyno'd around 315 hp, The USDM evo was screwed over by the emission crap.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact is every car that came out from the manufacturer has a different output.

From the dyno, there is a big difference between 2 identical Evo 8. One might output a big higher than the other one.

If you hit the same boost as your friends car, your car should be fine. A remedy is to add some mods such as MBC/EBC. Then your car will pull much more better than your friend. Let the mods begin......
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

The official spec: stock JDM Evo 7 is 280hp, and the USDM Evo 8 is 271HP.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Spec for JDM is not 280hp. It's more than that.

This is because 280hp is the highest output that car manufacturer can list on the spec in Japan. In US, car manufacturer can list whatever hp on the spec.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

ino u live in hong kong...wut kinda evo did u have again?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

I dont think the EVO 8 is 14.5 psi MAX, SOMETHING is not right
on your car get your self a MBC and U will defintaly feel the power back. Reason why ur not feeling fast is because of the 14.5 PSI boost the CAR IS NOT STOCK 14.5.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

THere is NO EVOLUTION out there that is 14.5 PSI and produce 271 HP you are mistaking.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

And once you turn that BOOST up to 19 LIKE what it suppose to be BELEIVE me it will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE for you.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

We are talking about JDM Evo 7 here. No US spec Evo 8.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Help! my EVO feels slow...

Originally posted by raywong
I just tried a friend's Evo 7 today, it definitly felt faster than mine. His car has such a strong pull, and I could feel the pull as early as 3500rpm. Wow...is that what the Evo supposed to be like? When I drive my car again it felt like the turbo is not generating as much power as his. We both have the same stock car except a turbo gauge, and we hit same max boost(14.5 psi Japan spec). What could be wrong with my car?

Called a few garages and they all just trying to sell me mbc, ebc, bov... I'm sure those mods will increase horsepower, but I want to find out what really is wrong in the first place.

Suggestions please!
Why aren't you people trying to help solve the problem? Don't advise modifications if he is only trying to troubleshoot. That is his problem already. Se what he wrote? "Called a few garages and they all just trying to sell me mbc, ebc, bov... "

Do a few tests. Perhaps you have the boost gauge tapped in to the wrong spot. 14.5 sounds so familiar when tapped in the wrong spot. I have seen that number as a max PSI fot the Evo 8 before and it was because of this. Run a leak test on your car. Get a bycicle pump (the hand powered kind so it is quiet) and some fittings and plumb into a vacuum hose somewhere before your throttle body and after the turbo. Somewhere on the intercooler piping or something. With the car turned off and the throttle plate closed, see if you can build up to 20 PSI without it falling as soon as you get there. It should GRADUALLY fall off. Lots of the Evo 8's have been known to have IC piping leakages from the factory. This might be the same on the 7, since they are damn identical except for the exterior. If it loses pressure rapidly, listen around for a leak. You might have to repeat the pump/listen cycle uite a few times, since half of the plumbing is hidden behind body panels and under stuff.

Hope this helps,

Josh
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Josh,

I've visited many garages and noone is nearly as understanding as you are. I am not against mods, just want to make sure everything is working perfectly before I start the mod, otherwise one problem could lead to another. Does it make any sense to you?
I am going to tell the garge to install a turbo gauge for me and do the pump test.

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2003, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by raywong
The official spec: stock JDM Evo 7 is 280hp, and the USDM Evo 8 is 271HP.

I thought it was a gentlemen's agreement for Japanese automakers to cap HP ratings at 275 . Hence they list the Skyline GT-R and the EVO both at 275. Both are actually higher than that.

Raywong, I'm confused. Which EVO do you have and where are you located?
Old Oct 1, 2003, 06:55 AM

My car pulled like a bastard when I got it and after break-in, then one day out of nowhere it wasn't pulling the same. I can't here the turbo as much anymore, (no engine mods) and the car deosn't seem to spool up as quick or pull nearly as hard on boost. I don't have a boost guage yet, which I have to get, but I've check compression, which according to the service manual was great-165-170in all cylinders, and I checked and tightened all connections I could find, removed the intake box and removed the ziptie on the boost solenoid lines, and nothing has seemed to help so far. The dealer was not helpful, and the tech seemed to know less about the Evo than I did. He basically checked nothing, and told me to get a boost gauge and if boost is low to come back. ****in' stealerships. I'm waiting on a boost gauge, then I'll go from there. I'm in the same predicament, and I don't want to order my Buschur Stage 2 until the car is fixed and back to normal. This is not a situation of getting used to the power, it is now no faster than my old RSX Type S, which was pretty quick, but only mildly modded with only boltons and Hondata computer tuning. I may try to pull off the intake tubing and check out the turbo, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for that would indicate a shot turbo.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

hey, you mentioned Buschur. Are you running an intake right now? b/c i noticed the exact same power loss right after i put the intake on.

Quick Reply: Help! my EVO feels slow...