Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which Battery Tray Kit
Saikou
4.44%
AWD Motorsports
2.22%
ETS
25.56%
AMS
15.56%
BR
20.00%
Others
32.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Mini battery love -

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini battery love -

So in doing a bunch of research starting back at the beginning of this year on the whole mini battery/tray, I originally decided on the GSC Motorsports kit.
Well without going into a long story - bottom line is I still don't have one and got my money back. So I'm back to study which to get.

Now of course I've seen that ppl have had issues on batteries staying charged if not used everyday.
I've got a battery tender that friends and I have had great success with on motorcycles and storing them in the winter, so I don't think this is going to be a concern if the car sits for any length of time.

So I'd like to get a poll and thoughts of which mini battery kit/battery tray others believe to be the best value/performance/fit and finish.

Side Note: I have ETS's UIP short route so this is why I am going this direction.

So others I was looking at:

Saikou: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-sale-external-engine-power/362672-saikou-michi-co-mini-battery-tray-8-9-a.html
$70 for the tray and about $70 for a Deka ETX14 battery - red tray only

AWD Motorsports: http://www.awdmotorsports.com/kawmibawtr.html
$219 for tray and a relabeled battery and $30+ if you want tray black

ETS: http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/Mitsubishi/Eagle-Evolution-8-and-9-Battery-Kit/c5_59_652/p16519/ETS-Mitsubishi-Evolution-8-and-9-Super-Value-Battery-Kit/product_info.html
$219 for tray and relabeled battery - same price for black or polished tray

AMS: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/AMS-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-Evo-7-8-9-Small-Battery-Kit-Amsperformance.com.html
$299 for tray and relabeled Odyssey battery - polished tray only - a bit high on price

Nisei:
http://www.nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19

$200 for tray and Odyssey battery - tray in polished, black, red

Boost Logic: http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=150&cat=83&page=1
$175 for tray and Miata battery - down side is you can only use with Boost Logic UIP?

BR: https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85&osCsid=f2ea4eca5d0 26a076448fb320f646835
$280 for tray and relabeled Odyssey battery

PPI: http://paradigmperformance.net/products/evo/batt.html
$284 for tray and Odyssey battery - $20 more for polished tray

I've originally left BR's off this list as looking at the pics I'm just not satisfied with the finish on this product for the price, however included them in the poll (also same kinda goes for Boost Logic on finish but the price is agreeable)- could be wrong here and love to hear otherwise if some of you see a different light.

Are there others that should make the list or be considered?

NOTE: There are a few ppl that had some DIY projects - they posted pics to give an idea of what you could do. So be sure to look through the posts -

Thanks for comments -

Last edited by Joey B; May 15, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, id just go with a trunk relocation kit. I'm in the same predicametn as you and I dont think its really worth it.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

my mini batt died is is a Odyssey and it is 145 for a batt
Old May 10, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stock_evoIX
If I were you, id just go with a trunk relocation kit. I'm in the same predicametn as you and I dont think its really worth it.
The thought crossed my mind and I concidered it - a bit more work(not a huge mind you), the price is almost the same, and I do want to keep my trunk clear and usable as much as it can be. So this is why I'm going to still try this first as it worked fine without the battery tender on my 2g.

So input, + and -, and ppl voting is something I'd like to produce in one area for other to see when researching could help others.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the ETS kit for almost a half year now and has worked great...
Old May 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
my mini batt died is is a Odyssey and it is 145 for a batt
I had an Odyssey in my 2g and it held for almost three years (with no Battery Tender BTW) and then I sold the car - so not sure if it continued to work well for the new owner but that was about 5 years ago and the Odysseies were a little cheaper then as well; I believe just a hair over $100.
Odyssey could have changed their design since then with the trouble you and others have run into. My 2g sat at times for a minimum of two weeks and she turned over still even with an auto start/alarm which are known to drain a battery a bit as it sits.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

i got the braille racing battery kit...its even smaller than the oddessy...and u can cross reference the battery to many other battery...just relabeled..can pick one up at $60 if anything goes wrong...first one had an internal short...and second one is running good but have problem starting in winter.....i assume most mini battery would have the same problem..but now i just put it on a trickle charger every night to solve the problem..
Old May 10, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

I've had my ETS kit for over a year and still works.......*knocks on wood*
Old May 10, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

I just received my Buschur mini battery kit and I was impressed to say the least.
Fit perfect, bolts down tight, and starts right up every time. I like the trey personally because it has the retaining wall on one side, instead of having just two bars. Quality is great and imo it was worth every penny.

click hear for pics:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...new-parts.html
Old May 10, 2009, 09:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No love for the Nisei?
Old May 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

I guess you guys over looked Nisei Engineering's Trays. If you are looking for value, I don't think you can beat the CNC billet aluminum trays. Their UBC Kit is usually $190 with our Paypal Promo (DELIVERED)but, they don't have the normal battery it comes with "Genesis" so, currently they are supplying these kits with the upgraded PC680 for $200.

This is their value kit! For those looking for something a little more "high end" the New Genesis kit will be released shortly!
Old May 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

What about the Boost Logic kit that uses a stock Miata battery?
Old May 11, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Nisei
Old May 11, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Nisei is simply amazing! The quality is excellent, they weight next to nothing and the battery that I got goes into the 3rd year of it's life with no problems whatsoever. Only once I had to jump when I went to vacation and the car was standing for 2 and a half weeks!

It cranks my AEMed car no problem still!

Voted for others. You should include nisei in the poll!

Ohh and Jedi and maxumtech can hook you up with great deals! So happy that these quality parts have an excellent vendor!!!
Old May 11, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvODavO
I just received my Buschur mini battery kit and I was impressed to say the least.
Fit perfect, bolts down tight, and starts right up every time. I like the trey personally because it has the retaining wall on one side, instead of having just two bars. Quality is great and imo it was worth every penny.

click hear for pics:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...new-parts.html
The pics don't do the BR justice then - it almost looked like thin aluminum or sheet metal. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Did you have to cut some of the zip ties and other area's to stretch the positive terminal that far?

Quick Reply: Mini battery love -