Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

metal shavings in oil...

Old May 25, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metal shavings in oil...

I got my self a magnetic drain plug to put on at my next oil change. Drained my oil and figured I'd just run the plug down in the drain pan for a second to see if I get anything. Sure enough, metal shavings...

I'll be changing my oil early this time around ~1500miles and checking again.

did a compression test just before the last oil change and I ran all ~135 if I remember right.

So is it normal to see some metal shavings after every oil change? If not what should I start looking for/planning for.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't know how much in the way of shavings you are talking about, but if it's any appreciable quantity, it indicates (possibly unusual) wear to friction surfaces. As a word of advice, start saving for a rebuild.

Changing the oil more frequently won't accomplish anything, but check the plug again at the next oil change. If the shavings keep coming, you're on borrowed time. If you ever detect knocking at part throttle load, it's time to shut it down before a rod comes through the block.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rgar
I got my self a magnetic drain plug to put on at my next oil change. Drained my oil and figured I'd just run the plug down in the drain pan for a second to see if I get anything. Sure enough, metal shavings...

I'll be changing my oil early this time around ~1500miles and checking again.

did a compression test just before the last oil change and I ran all ~135 if I remember right.

So is it normal to see some metal shavings after every oil change? If not what should I start looking for/planning for.
that compression is low
Old May 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
135 is LOW unless you did it when the engine was cold...proper compression check is done with the engine warmed..Just did mine yesterday 150 in 1,2,4 low in 3 @ 120 then 125. That was done @ 5000ft.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
jzt

Shavings in the oil are likely an indication of bearing damage. You could pull the pan to inspect the rods and crank.
Keep in mind that you may be doing more damage by driving the car. If you have another means of transportation, stop driving it and plan out a tear down to see how bad the damage is.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
:: sigh :: when will Evo 8 owners ever learn that Evo 9 compression is low from the factory.

Evo 9's will test between 120 and 140... so 135 is fine.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

i also have a magentic plug and never got any shavings on it
Old May 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Bearing material is nonmagnetic. Pistons are aluminum. The cast iron block isn't a likely source. If it were broken pieces of ring it would be recognizable. So, the question is, where would metal shavings be coming from? I guess you could be having a cam problem. Removing the valve cover would reveal that. Other than that I don't see what metal on the drain plug is telling you.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Metal shavings can be coming from the crank - a journal or thrust surface wearing down.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
Metal shavings can be coming from the crank - a journal or thrust surface wearing down.
Metal shavings to me are the curly pieces found in the bed of a lathe. If that is what he is finding then it is metal left over from when the block was machined. In other words, pan junk.

If the bearings are down to where they would produce metal powder then he wouldn't have any oil pressure. Crank walk could maybe produce metal grit.

If it is metal chunks then I would suspect the cams.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, It's my daily driver so I can't exactly tear the whole thing apart. I'm going to remove the valve cover and check the cams.

If nothing shows up there, I'll wait until my next oil change and check the plug again and go from there.

Thanks guys.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

when i raped my rod bushing I had shavings in the oil, and it wasnt making much knocking until about 5 minutes before the engine died, then again, only reason that crap happened was becuase valvoline put a quart of oil in my car....Im doing my own oil changes from now on.