Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wastegate Stuck open?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate Stuck open?

I think my wastegate is stuck open, I threw in 650cc injectors and have been granny'ing the car around just to work and back. I got on it once on a busy street and once it hit boost my gauge read 0 the entire time, even on street driving as well, and the acceleration seemed to die and I heard a whoosh sound. The pedal feel pretty much went limp. So like the title says I think my wastegate is stuck open, my question is: Whats the easiest way to get it unstuck, anything I need to remove, or anybody done this already with pics?
-Dave
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

the wastegate wouldnt be stuck open... you shouldnt be gunning it with upgraded injectors until you get it tuned and scaled... the reason your boost gaugse isnt reading is beyond me.. i would check for a boost leak..
Old Jun 8, 2009, 02:41 PM

even with upgraded injectors he would see some boost even with out a tune, even if it's a few lbs, anyways a wastegate is a possibility, or even a crack in the exhaust housing, or boost leak, I first would do a boost leak test, if everything is okay, remove turbo and inspect the exhaust housing for cracks near the wastegate. and while it is off pull the wastegate to insure it is opening and closing and sealing correctly, then get back to us.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like fuel cut with the upgraded injectors although they aren't even obnoxiously big...hmm...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
boost leak.

basic place to begin troubleshooting
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

are you sure your gauhe is working? does it read in vaccum when at idle?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by moreryce
the wastegate wouldnt be stuck open... you shouldnt be gunning it with upgraded injectors until you get it tuned and scaled... the reason your boost gaugse isnt reading is beyond me.. i would check for a boost leak..
Waste gate is not stuck open, I finally was able to drive the car for longer than 5min to work. Car is just running really rich.
Originally Posted by rocksinursocks
even with upgraded injectors he would see some boost even with out a tune, even if it's a few lbs, anyways a wastegate is a possibility, or even a crack in the exhaust housing, or boost leak, I first would do a boost leak test, if everything is okay, remove turbo and inspect the exhaust housing for cracks near the wastegate. and while it is off pull the wastegate to insure it is opening and closing and sealing correctly, then get back to us.
Wastegate looks fine to me, sealed up nice with no cracks. Looking for a boost leak right after I post this
Originally Posted by WannaRace
It sounds like fuel cut with the upgraded injectors although they aren't even obnoxiously big...hmm...
Walbro fuel pump and the new injectors without a tune are causing the problems I've been having except for the boost gauge one
Originally Posted by apagan01
boost leak.

basic place to begin troubleshooting
Thanks, qft.
Originally Posted by evokid511
are you sure your gauhe is working? does it read in vaccum when at idle?
Doesnt read in vaccuum so I'm checking for leaks.

Thanks for the responce all, I'll update it when I find the leak and after it's tuned at AMS with some numbers.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:56 PM

did you ever figure out what was causing this problem?