Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wheel hop launch, now I'm binding/popping on turns (help diagnose)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop launch, now I'm binding/popping on turns (help diagnose)

Yeah, as the title explains, I was at the track, and I had a terrible wheel hop launch. I didn't know what happened, and I didn't get out of it in time. I didn't think anything was wrong, so I did my pass, went 12.4 @ 115 letting off, with a 1.9 60', and then when I turned at the end of the track to return to the pits, my car was binding, popping, and making HORRIBLE noises. I looked and saw grease all over the engine bay, so I thought I destroyed the CV joint.

I bought 2 low mileage axles, replaced both of the front axles, since both front axle CV boots came apart and grease shot off, and put those in. I went to drive the car around my drive way to see if it fixed it, and it still made the binding / popping noise. My friend was watching and noticed that when I was turning right, my left wheel was almost dragging, and not spinning freely. It was as if I had a spool, or something. At this same time, it basically ripped the steering wheel out of my hand and the steering wheel turned hard to the left, probably because the drivers wheel was not spinning.

So, I was thinking/hoping that it was just a broken axle or 2 from the INSANE wheel hop that I had, but it looks like it is worse. Does this sound like a transmission or transfer case problem?

I have a buschur bushwacker transmission, stock '03 transfer case, and a exedy triple cerametallic clutch. The transmission has about 1300 miles on it, and the transfer case has I beleive 82,000 miles on it. I am almost sure it is the OEM one.

Please let me know what this sounds like, so that I can get the correct thing repaired. Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neonglh
My friend was watching and noticed that when I was turning right, my left wheel was almost dragging, and not spinning freely. It was as if I had a spool, or something. At this same time, it basically ripped the steering wheel out of my hand and the steering wheel turned hard to the left, probably because the drivers wheel was not spinning:

you almost answered your own question but you barely missed the answer

03 have this issue by nature, is your TC diff, your spidder gears have stripped,
300$ will fix that sending it to Shepp he will put new spider gears in there, and reshim everything for you.

remember keywords, you were turning the inside wheel was dragging, that means your diff is gone
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
you almost answered your own question but you barely missed the answer

03 have this issue by nature, is your tc diff, your spidder gears have stripped,
300$ will fix that sending it to shepp he will put new spider gears in there, and reshim everything for you.

Remember keywords, you were turning the inside wheel was dragging, that means your diff is gone
+1
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

look i even went out of my ways to find out shep's web site for you

http://www.sheptrans.com/transcase/evo.htm

you will be looking at STAGE 1,,, thats if everything else is in good condition

or see if you can get an RS front diff and get it in there your self and save some cash,, i doesnt have to be an RS diff, any diff that fits your TC used or new for a good price
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

That would be great if it was just that. But just to clear up what you said, my OUTSIDE tire was dragging, not the inside one. I was turning right, and my drivers side tire was the one dragging. Hopefully that does not change the diagnosis at all. Either way, I was praying it was not my new transmission, and that it was something easily fixable.

The next question, do you think the wheel hop caused the problem, or did the problem cause the wheel hop? I never felt anything like this before, and I drive the **** out of this car!

Either way, let's hope the transmission is fine, it's just something rebuidable in the TC, and that I can be up and going again shortly!

--mark
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

That would be great if it was just that. But just to clear up what you said, my OUTSIDE tire was dragging, not the inside one. I was turning right, and my drivers side tire was the one dragging. Hopefully that does not change the diagnosis at all. Either way, I was praying it was not my new transmission, and that it was something easily fixable.

The next question, do you think the wheel hop caused the problem, or did the problem cause the wheel hop? I never felt anything like this before, and I drive the **** out of this car!

Either way, let's hope the transmission is fine, it's just something rebuidable in the TC, and that I can be up and going again shortly!

--mark

there you go, the outside tire drageed

they say that wheelhop is really bad on your TC and car overall.

GL
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will be back up in no time

Stupid cars
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will be back up in no time

Stupid cars
its ok,,, its all part of this game.

GL with the fix

and God bless