Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Modifed stock intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Says Mike^2

"Sorry about that. Didn't mean to come off like an *******, it's just in my nature. Even when I don't want to be a dick, it just happens."

Your a ******
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Skunk2 Manifold

Hum, David I see what you mean. $500 for what it looks like you are getting is a bargain.

I'm telling you guys, if you want anything let me know. I'll build something and within 2 weeks that magical part you've been waiting for will finally come out and be stupid cheap and almost identical to what you are after. Can't wait for somebody to post detailed photos and measurements of this manifold so that it can be compared to everything else out there.

Still glad I did this project though and it doesn't change the topic much.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 6, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Lookin' good, Mike
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The intake is on it's way here for testing. I'll take measurements and dyno testing. I have a feeling it is going to be a great part from the looks of it. I can't say the same for their throttle body!!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 04:16 PM

Badass Mike keep up the good work.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The intake is on it's way here for testing. I'll take measurements and dyno testing. I have a feeling it is going to be a great part from the looks of it. I can't say the same for their throttle body!!
Interested in your testing as well; do you have any plans for porting the Skunk manifold?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post and a good read. Makes me want to give it a go. But with the skunk 2 out I saw it and it looked like the runner's are very equal with the plenum centered. Not sure on the runner length though.

Hopefully David will hook us up with the results when he's done with it.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am sorry if I missed it, but was the cuttign back of the runners in the plenum done to shorten the runner length, increase the plenum volume or just to improve the flow of air through the plenum and down into the runners?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
David, did you get a chance to start testing the Skunk2 manifold?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
No testing, I ordered it and havne't got it yet.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Reviving from the dead to find out what were the results. Which thread is a follow-up for this? Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interested too in real dyno results from either self-ported or MAP v2, v3 manifolds on mild power level cars.

It seems both the Skunk2 and Magnus manifolds make power without much low end loss. On the contrary, Buscher found lots of low end sacrifice on the Wilson.

Skunk2: http://pure-tuning.com/blog/?p=207

Magnus: http://pure-tuning.com/blog/?p=15
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, wrong link for the Magnus: http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...take-manifold/
Old Mar 16, 2018, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
FWIW, I like data and have carefully chosen the path I've taken with my cars/bikes. Research, testing and really looking at the facts. Remember a degree or two can easily change results on anything.

I did my own testing in the same week on the dyno. Boost leak tested between manifolds, tune unchanged, same Ethanol content. Started with the stock manifold, then ported, then the unported skunk 2. Stock Evo 9 engine with stock cams/springs. It did have an AMS pan and windage tray with an HLA. FP Red MHI with a 18psi actuator 4" intake pipe, a 2.75" Tomei V1 downpipe and exhaust . AEM infinity. I can't recall if the COP was on or not. Boost was between 26-30.
Baseline 507whp

Ported stock TB and intake , 493 whp The conditions were slightly better for the ported manifold also. I actually lost a few hp. I believed in the magic also .. Really thought I would gain some. Mitsubishi designed a pretty good manifold. Now Results may be different with big cams and a mans turbo at big power.

Bolted on a unported skunk 2 , 505 and the power band stayed the same but lost 1-2 psi in a few areas and made the same power. Similar conditions in the same week. Same tune. Obviously If we put some WG duty cycle back in to make the same target boost it would be up 10-20whp + or so. My theory, The skunk 2 being slightly larger and designed to make more power lowered the restriction of air (boost pressure) moving into the engine. I will say that the graph and spool up on the dyno stayed the same but transient response changed a very very small amount on the street with an FP red and stock mivec camshafts. Its a nice manifold if you can get your hands on it. It also played a role in the power my car has put out on the MHI red. The magnus is also proven and has good data behind it.

Did a few runs with each and the results were close . Boost was close but with an MHI housing its never great unless you pin the gate to get a large volume of air. I'd like to see the test redone with a larger turbo and less restrictive housing.

On the same porting subject. My FP manifold and MHI housing to the turbo aren't ported or "gasket matched" and I've made plenty of power with them. Now, the entry to my wastegate flapper is ported and that reduced the boost creep issue I had on my stock evo 9 engine with stock cams.

I'd also like to mention that it may be better to leave porting to someone that does it for a living.

Finally these are my results and just like any test there are variables. I'm not saying that ported stuff doesn't make power for everyone or every combo. It just didn't work for me at that level.

Last edited by Abacus; Mar 16, 2018 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MR ArcticC (Mar 19, 2018)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Thanks for an update Abacus!! I have a spare oem intake manifold and throttle body. Took a close look at them and couldn't find much to do with them. Walls are so thin as-is and, at best, I can polish the casting roughness, which isn't much AT ALL!

Quick Reply: Modifed stock intake manifold