Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gtech Results of Pill vs. No Pill

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am using the cigarette lighter, and the RPM detection works great. Do you have the Gtech "Competition" model or the original one?

I assume you went through the calibration procedure, right? Where it tells you to hold it at a certain RPM & press a button?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

The competition model .. Couldn't get the rpm to detect though .. I even swithced on the headlights ..

If I can get that working .. it'll be sweet ..
right now I use terminal speed to get an estimation of the engine hp ..

so are you going ot release your software ??
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Some info on the RPM feature. My car was able to read the RPMs almost to 1500 RPMs with my grounding kit disconnected and no accessories on. With my grounding kit hooked up, it lost my RPMs below 2500 RPMs.

To fix that I re-calibrated the RPM feature with my headlights and heater fan on. I also changed the RPM range I used to: low - 2500 RPMs, high 6500 RPMs. After that it works well, even with the lights and fan off.

Last edited by erioshi; Oct 14, 2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gunzo
The competition model .. Couldn't get the rpm to detect though .. I even swithced on the headlights ..

If I can get that working .. it'll be sweet ..
right now I use terminal speed to get an estimation of the engine hp ..

so are you going ot release your software ??
So what happens? It just doesn't register any RPM's at all? And the calibration procedure works without any problems? If so then it sounds like you have a defective Gtech, I would call tech support and tell them it works fine on other Evo's.

I do get some jittering at low RPM's though since I installed a grounding kit. I didn't bother to recalibrate because it seemed fine after 2500 or so, I guess I didn't really relate it to the grounding kit until I read erioshi's post, but I think it was smooth across the whole range before. Cool, I'll recalibrate it.

I'll be releasing the software soon, probably this week. I need to find somewhere to put it though cause I don't have a server...
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BigBoogieman

So what happens? It just doesn't register any RPM's at all? And the calibration procedure works without any problems? If so then it sounds like you have a defective Gtech, I would call tech support and tell them it works fine on other Evo's.

I do get some jittering at low RPM's though since I installed a grounding kit. I didn't bother to recalibrate because it seemed fine after 2500 or so, I guess I didn't really relate it to the grounding kit until I read erioshi's post, but I think it was smooth across the whole range before. Cool, I'll recalibrate it.

I'll be releasing the software soon, probably this week. I need to find somewhere to put it though cause I don't have a server...
Yep .. if it does .. it's like 3-500rpms .. then it loses the signal again ..

what rpms did you calibrate on ?? Even after calibration, it can't detect rpm or detects irregularly .. not enough to generate a valid curve .. hmm .. maybe I'll go try again with the suggestions here ..

Anyway ... using the downloaded files with the software .. there's a hp vs time graph .. I use that for fun .. just wanted the torque curve .. coz that's what I'm more interested in ..

thanks again
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

That's pretty strange that it doesn't work for you. I just recalibrated today, I think the points were 2000 & 4500. It's working great now. I wonder if there's something different in the VII's electrical system that interferes with it?
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks BigBoogieman for posting the results of the G-Tech. I've been trying to get someone to do that for a while. One question though if it's even a valid question, what gear did you get these results in?

Thanks

Edit: Also, would you be willing to post the peak G's for each gear?

Last edited by evo_dan; Oct 16, 2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'm also currious about how the gear used affects the readings. The test track I've used for testing is short so all of my "dyno" readings have in second gear. Since most of the other data published has been in 3rd gear, I've wanted to try some runs that way and compare them before posting my results.

Last edited by erioshi; Oct 16, 2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

evo dan, I did post my max G numbers a while back when you requested it. You must've missed the post. I don't know how valid the numbers were though because they were some of the first runs I did. I just looked at some of my old data and it's way off (unless my Evo really did only pull 164 HP that day.

I'm not sure how the gear affects the HP & torque numbers yet, but I'm going to compare it when I get a chance (it's raining now). I had been doing all my runs in 2nd, but I recently started experimenting with 3rd because the results seem to be a bit more stable. I'll see if I can get good 1st through 3rd comparisons with HP & G's soon.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I missed it. I'll look for it now. Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ha, found it! Cool!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=33651
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the reason I wanted those figures. I wanted to compare the numbers againts my car. Time to do the test again with my new tuning.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=gtech+peak

Looks like 2nd gear would be close.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

I was looking at those old numbers you posted. It seems strange that your car would pull more G's in 2nd gear than 1st. Does it actually feel like it accelerates harder in 2nd?
Old Oct 17, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it really does pull harder in 2nd gear. By the time I hit redline in 1st I'm just barely hitting full boost, if that. That and traction is a real problem as I'm FF. Since then though I have a new boost controller that holds boost to redline (17 psi), so my G's will be less spikey but should pull harder overal.

Looking at your old G force printout on your stock Evo it's interesting see the G force drop as boost drops from the 19psi down to around 16.

Last edited by evo_dan; Oct 17, 2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ah, I see.

Yeah, the boost drop is definitely evident in the graphs and on the butt-dyno.

Quick Reply: Gtech Results of Pill vs. No Pill