Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gtech Results of Pill vs. No Pill

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2003, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my peak g's at each gear up to 3rd gear ..
note I have different gear ratios from you guys ..
90 temp and 100% humidity ..

Old Oct 17, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Very interesting! That first peak looks like a launch followed by spikes with each shift. Your peak in gear G's are lower however, I guess due to the longer gears of the auto tranny.

Looks like 1st gear is around 0.68 G's, 2nd around 0.42 and third around 0.25 without the shift spikes. This is real interesting though because you're not losing much on the top end of each gear like the USDM Evos.

Thanks for sharing. Anyone else?
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a 1/4 mile run I did a couple weeks ago, for comparison. Wonder why mine is so much jaggier? This was a 14.2 @ 103. Don't make fun of me, I didn't launch it hard. It was around 45F and foggy.
Attached Thumbnails Gtech Results of Pill vs. No Pill-pic.png  
Old Oct 18, 2003, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

hey .. here's a graph for comparison .. same jaggy graph at the top end .. but the lower range was due to a bouncing off the rev limiter

BTW .. it looks slow coz there was 3 guys onboard !!
Here's a possible explanation .. detonation or fuel cut ..Edited to include oh yea.. gusty winds another possibility

Evo Dan - what do you mean when you say the USDM cars are losing top end of each gear ?? you're right about the gearing. . GTA is designed more as a cruiser than bruiser but it does gives a punch when asked to

Last edited by gunzo; Oct 18, 2003 at 08:51 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gunzo

Evo Dan - what do you mean when you say the USDM cars are losing top end of each gear ?? you're right about the gearing. . GTA is designed more as a cruiser than bruiser but it does gives a punch when asked to

Take a look at this graph by BigBoogieman at this link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=33651

You can see the G forces drop as the RPMs climb which is a result of boost and torque begining to drop off around 4000 RPMs. This changes though with a good manual boost controller, exhaust and intake system.

Last edited by evo_dan; Oct 18, 2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BigBoogieman
Here's a 1/4 mile run I did a couple weeks ago, for comparison. Wonder why mine is so much jaggier? This was a 14.2 @ 103. Don't make fun of me, I didn't launch it hard. It was around 45F and foggy.
I'd say your shifts look a bit lazy and slow (almost half a second ) causing boost to drop off, then you have an initial spike when the clutch engages followed by turbo lag and then another spike when at full boost. Your launch though is just bizarre. It's like you went from an initial hard launch to almost a bog causing your tranny and drivetrain to jar back and forth until boost and power came on. Dunno.

I love telemetry.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

The shifts were actually pretty fast, as fast as I could possibly do them. I didn't attempt a hard launch. I let out the clutch aggressively while gassing it, but I didn't rev it up first. It bogged to like 1200 RPM. I just wanted to run through all the gears.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:04 PM

Question

Weird… I too seem to be having some issues with the G-Tech not accurately reading my RPM’s on my new EVO VIII.
The same unit worked very well on my modified Benz & proved to be very accurate against time-slips I would get at the drag-strip. I just got the EVO & was pretty bummed when it would not register. It really freaks when the fan comes on at idle (thinks I’m up at 6,000). I have the latest firmware loaded & have tried to recalibrate a couple of times, but it just doesn’t seem to want to work. I’ll have to try the lights & heater on and see what happens. Perhaps I’ll just have to call Maarten or Jovo.

I am sure glad to hear that some of you are getting it to work accurately… it gives me hope.

Jason
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well that is weird since you have an Evo VIII. I calibrated it and run it with the lights on and the fan on #2. But the lights or fan don't seem to affect the accuracy. Do you have any mods? My car is stock except for a Blitz DTT and grounding kit, and it worked fine before the grounding kit too.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:33 PM

BigBoogieman, what is neccesary to write that application for the GTech? i would be interested in giving something like that a try myself!! i am a comp sci student so that would make for a great project
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BigBoogieman
Well that is weird since you have an Evo VIII. I calibrated it and run it with the lights on and the fan on #2. But the lights or fan don't seem to affect the accuracy. Do you have any mods? My car is stock except for a Blitz DTT and grounding kit, and it worked fine before the grounding kit too.
OK .. calibrated umpteem times .. from low rpm to high rpms .. cannot get it to read at all

It'll register a short portion .. but not enough to get valid hp data...
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

Really weird... I too am stock except for boost guage & stereo system (which was not on) during calibration.

My car is at the stealership getting custom black leather put in, but when I get it back I'll have to try to calibrate with lights & fan on like you did. Hopefully it'll work.

Jason
Old Oct 31, 2003, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

questions for the guys with alot of gtech experience

Same stretch of road .. same direction.. nil to very light winds..

I have 2 runs .. prior and post ..
everyone says the mph is the best indication of horsepower .. check out the graph.. comparing a run at 107mph and 110mph .. but the slower run shows better sustained G throughout the gears (Except 1st) the black one is the slower run ..

Does this mean the the black line has more 'power' ??

Old Oct 31, 2003, 08:24 AM

OT a little bit:

RPMs = "Rotations Per Minutes"
Old Oct 31, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVO Tendencies
BigBoogieman, what is neccesary to write that application for the GTech? i would be interested in giving something like that a try myself!! i am a comp sci student so that would make for a great project
The files the PASS software exports are just simple text files that show all the values for every 1/100th second in the run. All you have to do is graph them.

Got any cracking skills? I've been trying to get my software to download directly from the Gtech. I have the communications protocol figured out, and all the data except for RPM & HP. The values that I'm pretty sure are RPM and HP (cause they're the only ones I haven't figured out) look like random data. Cracking this data would be an excellent project, because it would save me all the hassle of dumping the Gtech into PASS then exporting it! Let me know if you're interested, and we can share notes.

An interesting thing about the data that comes out of the Gtech is that it seems to include the raw X, Y and Z accelerometer values, even though PASS doesn't seem to need them.

If you want to try my software, here's the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=44932

Quick Reply: Gtech Results of Pill vs. No Pill