Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch issues 1,000 miles from home!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Clutch issues 1,000 miles from home!

I live in Minneapolis, MN and am in Dallas, TX for a long vacation weekend. Pulling out of a parking lot I lost my clutch during the 1-2 shift; definitely a great thing to happen 1,000 miles from home. This is a brand new clutch (Competition Stage 3) 2 weeks ago, it only has about 1,700 miles on it (500 break-in, 1,000 driving down here). I think I am going to try babying the car home only make stops for gas shifting as little as possible. The clutch pedal still had good pressure, but now its engaging right on the floor when it used to engage up higher and when the pedal gets all the way down it feels like I'm fighting against something like there is a rubber stopper under the pedal. I looked into things a bit and I don't see any hydraulic system leaks. The slave cylinder looks to be over-extended even with the clutch pedal not depressed. The "rubber stopper" feeling I was describing is the clutch fork coming into contact with the transmission case and pinching the rubber boot. The clutch still engages/disengages, but its right off the floor. Any ideas/thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
look at the evomoto adjustment. if it is still grabbing meaning you can still take off except that 1 and shift is difficult, you can adjust the clutch. it should help.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking it might be a pressure plate failure. Maybe the fingers for some reason aren't springing back like they're supposed to? I just don't understand how this could happen on a practically brand new clutch since it hasn't been abused or over-revved at all. After the break-in I did a few WOT pulls just to make sure it was holding and that was it.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
look at the evomoto adjustment. if it is still grabbing meaning you can still take off except that 1 and shift is difficult, you can adjust the clutch. it should help.
I did think about trying to adjust it I'm just afraid of making it worse since I'm so far from home right now and since it seems to be functioning just enough to limp the car home. At least I was smart enough to bring my toolbox along!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it definitely seems like its an adjustment issue or maybe something let loose inside the trans from the install? just my .02 but you should be fine and good luck getting home man
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I hope luck is on my side tomorrow morning when I head out. I should be able to make it all the way home with only 4-5 stops for gas and I'll be shifting as little as possible.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Hit up kevinD. He's in the Dallas area n can look at it
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:59 PM

there is mellon in memphis if you will be taking that route.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:01 PM

btw pm those ntec guys if they are willing or know a shop that can look it up for you.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

i would try to adjust it just so u dont risk messing anything up know what i mean?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:56 AM

Maybe loose flywheel bolt, does the pedal vibrate?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:11 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got an update from Kracka, he's made it 500 miles back towards MN. If he's made it that far, I'm sure he can make it the whole way! Keep your fingers crossed, we'll be digging into it when he gets back.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the broken-clutch Evo got me all the way home from Dallas including traffic in KC and Minneapolis! We left yesterday morning at 4am and pulled into our garage here at 7pm after 1,035 miles (2,059 total for the trip). We only stopped 3 times for gas to use the clutch as little as possible. Scheides and I looked things over a bit more last night and its looking like its either a pressure plate or TOB issue. We relieved all the pressure from the hydraulic system and rebled it with no change.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

good to hear man at least u got home!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:03 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya just insane he made it back but I'm glad it worked out! Now to sort out the issue. Looks like the tranny will have to come out Its almost like the TOB is stuck up too high; the clutch fork sits about 6mm to the left of where it should in the opening through the bellhousing, so when you push on the pedal the slave pushes it all the way to the edge of the opening and then stops, so you end up with a rubbery feeling at the end (because of the boot). Seems to me like a TOB issue, someone suggested having at it with a big screwdriver, but that sounds iffy to me!

Quick Reply: Clutch issues 1,000 miles from home!