Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Heat Barrier Intake Manifold Gasket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No gaskets just spacer for mine just some permatex high tack as a "just in case" and works great for me
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Erik, "If you build it, they will come", especially Milspec products.... Evo owners are funny like that, always looking for a way to make more HP. Keep us updated.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEMS
Erik, "If you build it, they will come", especially Milspec products.... Evo owners are funny like that, always looking for a way to make more HP. Keep us updated.
Ok, if you guys are interested I will put my focus back on that project.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Erik, do you feel the benifits for the mid level modified car will justify the expense? There are a lot of ways to make more power on these cars, will this one be cost effective enough to justify the R&D and the final cost of the product? I am interested!!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Ok, if you guys are interested I will put my focus back on that project.
do u have any now that i can try>? i need to buy one asap for my new intake and i dont know which one to get
Old Sep 7, 2009, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Personally, I don't do a lot of $$$ to hp benefit measurements. I mean, of course that is taken into account, but for the most part MIL.SPEC sets out to build the best parts possible. Oftentimes, the phrase "You pay for what you get" is true. If I were just looking to make a buck, I wouldn't do half the stuff I do LOL

We do not have any ready at the moment. I was distracted with other MIL.SPEC projects, and need to get back on our vendor who was supposed to get me samples but didn't. Way too many people are in business who drop the ball. lol Why is that?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I put the HONDATA one in 60k miles about 3 years ago. No blowout or leaking.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I had some made for my EVO after testing similar, heat barrier gaskets on DSM's. They are a little thick at a bit over 3/8 of an inch. But the temp diff of the plenum alone is over 25 degrees at idle. On the dyno, with the intake runners now effectively longer, saw 5-6 hp gain. Hard to say how much is due to the cooler intake. We repeatedly used the heat gun and took readings of three back to back runs before the gasket and after. You have to look around a bit to find some quality material to use for a phenolic spacer, "gasket". When I had them water cut, the owner asked where the hell I got such a big sheet and what it costs. Guess he had done similar items for some road racing teams.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have one of these gaskets plus a black thermal dispersant coating on my intake manifold (MAP Rev.3 manifold) and even after a hard autocross run I can pop my hood and the intake manifold is cool to the touch. Before the coating and barrier gasket it was burning hot and near impossible to hold your hand on it for more than a split second. I've had them both for about 11k miles now.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but was looking for more info, and I'm sure some research has came to since 2009. Does this really work
Old Feb 3, 2016, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but was looking for more info, and I'm sure some research has came to since 2009. Does this really work
I've tried this and it was leaking by runner 2 and 3. Don't know about temp drop or power gain because I replaced it with OEM gasket.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Still holing up with over 100k miles on the gasket and what like 10 years now. No leaks

It works as you couldn't put your hand on the IM with OEM gasket and can with the barrier piece. What it means for performance??? But the fact that the IM does not heat up as it does without it was a no brainer for me
Old Feb 3, 2016, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
It works as you couldn't put your hand on the IM with OEM gasket and can with the barrier piece. What it means for performance??? But the fact that the IM does not heat up as it does without it was a no brainer for me
That's the gist of it: The thermal barrier gaskets will reduce the amount of heat conducted in to the intake manifold, but from a performance perspective that's not going to change much of anything.

Consider this: At WOT, your turbo is moving a lot of air through the intake manifold, and that air is moving very quickly. There isn't much opportunity for a hot intake manifold to transfer much heat to that air in the first place because the surface area is so low. Your intercooler, on the other hand, has a ton of surface area inside to maximize heat transfer between the air and metal.

So yes, keeping the last few inches of your intake manifold a few degrees cooler could theoretically reduce your intake charge temperature by a tiny amount, but the difference is so small that I doubt you'd find any appreciable performance differences.

Now on the other hand if you're going speed density and want to keep your IAT sensor from heat soaking at idle with little airflow through the intake manifold, one of these thermal barriers could be helpful.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder how much this will extend the life of your wire harness and connectors in that area - injector pigtails, tps etc. The plugs and wire insulation tends to get brittle with all the heat exposure.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I mean 40 bucks is not breaking the bank. Also the thing is it looks like a lot of Company's have stop making them so who know.

Quick Reply: Heat Barrier Intake Manifold Gasket