Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant Leak around Water Pump and Head.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant Leak around Water Pump and Head.

I have a coolant leak coming from the backside of my water pump where it sits against the motor. If your looking at the engine bay from the front of the car and you look at the furthest runner to the left of the intake manifold and look under it and maybe a hair to the left you will see the edge of the water pump and a little ledge where the head sits on the block. It may take a mirror to see the spot but that is where it puddles up. It leaks at idle but I can't figure out if its coming from around the water pump or leaking from between the head and block. Is it possible for coolant to leak at idle from between the head and block? I just need some ideas on where the hell the leak is coming from. Its not massive but its enough to definately be annoying.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably need to replace the water pump, that's going to be fun.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by AcePitcher11
I have a coolant leak coming from the backside of my water pump where it sits against the motor. If your looking at the engine bay from the front of the car and you look at the furthest runner to the left of the intake manifold and look under it and maybe a hair to the left you will see the edge of the water pump and a little ledge where the head sits on the block. It may take a mirror to see the spot but that is where it puddles up. It leaks at idle but I can't figure out if its coming from around the water pump or leaking from between the head and block. Is it possible for coolant to leak at idle from between the head and block? I just need some ideas on where the hell the leak is coming from. Its not massive but its enough to definately be annoying.
Try pressure testing the cooling system and it should help identify where the leak is coming from as it will not puddle but rather spray coolant where the leak is.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:59 AM

Do not believe it is from the head gasket because you would have more symptoms than just a leak.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

This happened to me when i had an aftermarket radiator cap and the pressure blew the water pump. i have a spare water pump if youll be needing one if that is what the problem is.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

is this what it looks like??

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-coolant.html
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

That's what mine looked like when it went recently!

If you've never done it before take your time especially w/ the timing belt
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

I'm leaning towards the water pump for sure. I just don't know how its getting on the back of the block. It never leaked until after I was tuned and then when I got home is when I noticed the leak. It leaking at idle is what has me thinking its the water pump over the head gasket. I was just worried since I have a Buschur head that maybe it might have been warped and not a true flat surface and wasn't sealing.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AcePitcher11
I'm leaning towards the water pump for sure. I just don't know how its getting on the back of the block. It never leaked until after I was tuned and then when I got home is when I noticed the leak. It leaking at idle is what has me thinking its the water pump over the head gasket. I was just worried since I have a Buschur head that maybe it might have been warped and not a true flat surface and wasn't sealing.
Might be blow-by causing it to reach the back or it may be leaking from the water pipe that inserts into the back of the waterpump.

If you haven't and are very concerned about the HG do a quick comp check for a little peace of mind.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I say keep cleaning and looking until you spot the exact spot from where it is leaking. Then you will know what you have to do.

I once had a radiator rebuilt and when I installed it it had a small leak. When I took it back to the shop they pressure tested it and no leaks. After I brought it in a couple of times they started to get angry. So, I looked until I spotted the exact solder joint where it was leaking and found it only leaked when the radiator was hot, when it cooled it sealed up. That is why when they pressure tested it at the shop they found no leaks. Looking pays off.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:58 PM

Iam having the same exact problem and iam in the army and stationed in Germany and my evo 8 is doing the exact same thing and i just changed my water pump and it WAS NOT the water pump so i just spent 350 gettin it replaced cause i have no tools and no where to do it. The mechanics are saying that it might be the head gasket but the car runs perfect just pours out water most of the time and i dont know what to do they want 300 more dollars to take the engine apart and see if it is the head gasket....it doesnt smoke abnormally except black smoke when u get on it cause it runs rich...i dont know what to do can some one help me?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:48 PM

water pump is going out is my guess
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

i had a similar problem. turned out to be an over torqued bolt on right side of water pump. the ear had broken and had started leaking.

Last edited by wariosport; Jun 29, 2011 at 05:11 PM.