Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When does the Slim Fan on an aftermarket turbo kit turn on??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When does the Slim Fan on an aftermarket turbo kit turn on??

Hi guys-

I finally got my car back up and running today and the bay was very hot and I never once heard my slim fan kick on (driver's side on radiator).. When do these kick on? The passenger side one didn't either, but that one is only for when the AC is on, correct? It cool the condenser, right? Thanks guys!!!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I wondered the same thing when I installed mine. I can't hear it turn on.

I pulled over and let it idle for a few minutes, it turns on and off though. I really don't know how it works or what triggers it.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

it is triggered off the engine's temperature
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't you just mount a switch and turn it on yourself when you're idling?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You should have wired the slim fan in by splicing into the factory fan's wiring harness. Therefore, it should turn on at the same time the factory fan did. As stated above, it should turn on depending upon the vehicles coolant temp.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

and keep the fan controller.........because it looks important
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MasterNater
You should have wired the slim fan in by splicing into the factory fan's wiring harness. Therefore, it should turn on at the same time the factory fan did. As stated above, it should turn on depending upon the vehicles coolant temp.
This is exactly what i did.. and I know the wires cant be interchanged considering the stock are the same colors as the ones off of my slim fan.. I logged the car and it is reaching about 220 degrees (coolant temperature) and still have yet to hear it kick on.. My tuner said that it would probably kick on if I had the AC on, but my AC isn't hooked up right now so I can't really test that.. :/
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fuct
and keep the fan controller.........because it looks important
The fan controller is what controls the slim fan.. The aftermarket slim fan reuses all of the stock plugs.. you just have to cut one so you can wire in the aftermarket fan with power and a ground.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
Hi guys-

I finally got my car back up and running today and the bay was very hot and I never once heard my slim fan kick on (driver's side on radiator).. When do these kick on? The passenger side one didn't either, but that one is only for when the AC is on, correct? It cool the condenser, right? Thanks guys!!!
Your tune controls when they kick on and off. There are tables specifically for this. Look under "Misc" in EcuFlash. If you want to make sure they are working, use EvoScan to activate them. I'm not sure all versions of EvoScan can do this, but v.2.6 definitely can.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have also replaced my stock fan with a slimfan. I am now having an issue with the secondary fan located in the fron of the radiator on the passenger side. Does anyone know how to test that one? Is when the AC is turned on? because it does not. How does that connect to the fan module? Anyone know where the wiring goes? Lastly is this something a tune can defeat by accident?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Your tune controls when they kick on and off. There are tables specifically for this. Look under "Misc" in EcuFlash. If you want to make sure they are working, use EvoScan to activate them. I'm not sure all versions of EvoScan can do this, but v.2.6 definitely can.
How would I go about using Evoscan to activate them, any help is appreciated sir, thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:46 PM
EvoM Guru

^In EvoScan, on the right side of the screen there is a list of actuators. A couple of them trigger the fan and are labeled as such.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

^In EvoScan, on the right side of the screen there is a list of actuators. A couple of them trigger the fan and are labeled as such.
Thank you sir, will give this a shot!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I did this and the passenger side fan (in front of AC condenser) came out but the slim fan did not.. I'm wondering if my stock fan control box might be bad? Do you have an aftermarket slim fan? There is 3 plugs on the stock fan control box, but i am only using 2 (i think from what I remember, the stock fan plugs into one of the ports, so i wouldn't use it now).. any ideas? and is that actuator thing in evoscan supposed to turn on the driver's side fan on the radiator or just the passenger side fan or both? thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I have a stock fan and haven't actuated the fans through EvoScan before, so I can't help further.

Quick Reply: When does the Slim Fan on an aftermarket turbo kit turn on??