Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny removal Suggestions..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Tranny removal Suggestions..

Ok I am pulling my 6sp tranny this weekend. I have printed out some of the DIY's for clutch and such. I am looking for any tips tricks and pointers. I will be doing this in my garage and i do not have access to a lift. I have done a tranny on a GSX but this is a first with the Evo...

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please I am all ears. If there are any special tools that I should have I did get the slide hammer from the one DIY. So fire away and thanks I am going to need all the help I can get......
Old Sep 4, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pop the clip from the pressure plate off before you take any bolts off from the tranny
Old Sep 4, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Ok is that clip exposed before you take the tranny off? Also do i need to replace the Throw out bearing, fork, pivot ball? I am not replacing the clutch clutch is still good. ACT clutch.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

You don't need a slider hammer. You can also re-use your TOB assuming it's in good shape (I'm guessing it was replaced with the clutch). The clip isn't exposed, it's between the TOB and clutch. If Dave's coming over to help, I explained the "trick" to him. He was also there when I dropped my trans. If not, give me a call. I'll be around tomorrow and Sunday.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Steve!!!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
You don't need a slider hammer. You can also re-use your TOB assuming it's in good shape (I'm guessing it was replaced with the clutch). The clip isn't exposed, it's between the TOB and clutch. If Dave's coming over to help, I explained the "trick" to him. He was also there when I dropped my trans. If not, give me a call. I'll be around tomorrow and Sunday.
You might not need an actual slid hammer but you'll have to find something like it to pull the output shaft between the trans and the T/C.

The T/C has to be unbolted to remove the tranny because it covers one of the bolts on the bell housing. I'm not sure how you're going to get that shaft out without a slide hammer?

I don't know if you've ever seen one but I used a motorcycle jack to pull my tranny in and out. It's sort of like a tranny jack with a large platform on the top. It was the cat's meow for the job

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Sep 5, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
You might not need an actual slid hammer but you'll have to find something like it to pull the output shaft between the trans and the T/C.
DSM creativity.

I just used a cardboard tube from an empty roll of duct tape, a 1G DSM water pump pulley, and a long bolt with a washer. Put the bolt through the washer, then through the center of the pulley, then sit the pulley on the cardboard tube, tighten the bolt, and the shaft will pop right out. Instant freebie puller tool.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

DSM creativity.

I just used a cardboard tube from an empty roll of duct tape, a 1G DSM water pump pulley, and a long bolt with a washer. Put the bolt through the washer, then through the center of the pulley, then sit the pulley on the cardboard tube, tighten the bolt, and the shaft will pop right out. Instant freebie puller tool.
Think I need to swing by and pick that freebie puller tool up!!!!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DSM creativity.

LOL. I just bought the $10 dent puller that was linked in the original tranny how to on here
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't pulled it myself. But I've seen guys pull them out in about an hour or so. You will be fine.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
I haven't pulled it myself. But I've seen guys pull them out in about an hour or so. You will be fine.
One hour to remove the tranny on an Evo? I don't think so.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
One hour to remove the tranny on an Evo? I don't think so.
If I can do a 1G DSM in 12 minutes, I'm sure I could do an EVO in an hour with a lift and air tools.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An actual slide hammer would make things A LOT easier and really did for me. I tried a small dent puller for hours and decided to go get a really heavy one at Advanced through there loaner tools program. Only took 2 hits and the shaft came out.

If you printed out the Evomoto DIY, don't and I repeat DON'T take out the axles out from the wheel hub. This is what happened to me when I followed that instruction:
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1252252708
My axles were seized in the hub. So far, I bought 1 new hub assembly with 1 Advanced axle and just reused the other seized side since I didn't mess with it.

Another creative thing my friend came up with was use that tire jack found in the trunk and use it to hold up the engine. We removed the tranny by lowering the engine (since it will be held by 1 mount, you can move it up and down) and popping out the tranny.

It was my first time ever working on a car so it took me 4 weeks and over $600 on tools (some broke so don't go too cheap).
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6 speed is def more challenging, but two thing I did that make it way easier.

Remove 3 of the subframe bolts and loosen the one closest to the steering column as much as you can to allow the subframe to droop down out of the way.

Remove the upper tranny mount then use two nuts in a back nut fashion to remove the studs from the tranny (this will help clear frame rail)

best of luck man. I hated life the 1st one I did but if you ever have to do it again you will be prepared, Then take some of the 800 dollars in labor you save to take your bodies who helped out to eat LOL
Old Sep 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I can do a 1G DSM in 12 minutes, I'm sure I could do an EVO in an hour with a lift and air tools.
not with a 6spd you're not. maybe a 5spd.

Quick Reply: Tranny removal Suggestions..